News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

towing a 57 ford

Started by glenmichael, 2022-06-03 13:15

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello Everyone , I backed my car out of the garage for a little putt around the block maybe 4-5 miles, once it warmed up there is a nice straight road next to the corn field so I pushed it hard through the gears , I beleive there was some old gas in the secondary end she was popping for a while at the higher RPM . A few more rounds and the motor was running much better !! Got me thinking and my question is if I drug the car home with a rope or pulled it on a trailer is there a proper place on the frame to connect ??IMG_1057.jpg

rmk57

I utilized the rearmost bumper bolt for a tow tab. 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat bar with hole drilled for the bumper bolt and a larger hole on bottom for a tow strap. I also welded the tab to the frame but may not be necessary.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

glenmichael

Thanks, this is the first time I've taken the car for a ride and felt a miss. I plan on putting some miles on my Ford this summer, like a good Boy Scout just want to be prepared, I have a nice front bumper hate to harm it. Just looking for a better way to pull the car IF needed.. Again Thanks

mustang6984

Make friends with someone who has a car trailer...or two.  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

I got lazy and just put a ring in the bull's nose.  I have to use winch to pull the car into the enclosed trailer (I could drive it in but I can't get out).

glenmichael

That's what I'm looking for, the first time I pulled the 57 on my trailer there was no bumper so easy to hook the cable. You always have great answers to these 57 Ford questions. In the picture what is the yellow part and how is it attached? Thanks Gary, and everyone else on this site that offer advice to help keep these cars rolling safely down the road.

RICH MUISE

and how do you get it out?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2022-06-06 08:40and how do you get it out?

Most of the winches I see have seen have a 10 foot cable so you can run the winch from outside the trailer. For myself  towing any distance I like to have the trans in park and the handbrake on. I also have 4 tow straps to hold the car down. Most of time if you break down nowadays a rollback can load you up pretty easy without any tow tab, hook to attach to. The also use those tire straps to hold the car in place for transport.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

The yellow is about a foot of rebar with a small 'V' bent in the middle.  It can be removed by rotating and pulling out either side of the radiator support bracket.

glenmichael

Outstanding, I was wondering if that was a piece of 1/2 inch rebar, great idea. I need to visit Woodys shop and make one. Thanks..

gasman826

Let me know...you and I can catch up while Mike makes it.

SkylinerRon

Not a good idea to leave car in Park while trailering.  Rocking motion can break a Park pawl in trans.

Ron.

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, Sorry Gary I guess Mike's busy these days. I went out to my garage put the 1/2 inch rebar in my vice grabbed my Bernzomatic map-pro and a pair of gloves, a little pulling and pushing once it cools it will be ready for paint. The bar rolls in and out of the support bracket no problem and if I'm driving and need a tow it will be in the trunk ready to go. Great idea, Fun little project, I will feel more prepared when the 57 hits the road, Thanks.IMG_1059.jpg

rmk57

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2022-06-08 22:47Not a good idea to leave car in Park while trailering.  Rocking motion can break a Park pawl in trans.

Ron.

When I load the car I have blocks that the tires rest on. I apply the park brake good and hard, put it in park then tie it down. Been doing it that way for a few years now.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

I have always towed my race cars in Park if automatic, or 1rst gear with a stick. I have heard some people say it was better to have the transmission in Neutral, but after seeing my buddys newly painted Nova Super Stock drag car (no bumpers yet), have the tow straps become loose, and the car rolled around in the trailer, banging up both the front into the workbench, and rear against the trailer ramp door, I will take my chances with the transmission. Besides, if the car is tied down properly, it shouldn`t be rocking back and forth anyhow.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.