News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Never Ending Project Update

Started by lalessi1, 2022-06-05 10:39

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Not a valid attachment ID.Well I never had a project build on my car so I thought I would use this section to update on all of my latest adventures in spending money...

Since the covid thing, I decided to put EFI on my car. This was done in an desperate attempt to get my car to run at the temperatures I was experiencing since I could never seem to get the car to cool properly.

I installed a 22 gallon tank with provision for an internal pump.

I ordered a Holley Terminator X throttle body EFI setup that took (4) months to get.

After installing the EFI, I realized that I needed a larger alternator so a Powermaster was purchased and installed but it hit the battery.

I bought and installed a redtop Optima in the trunk.

After getting the car to run I decided to go full bore on computer control so I purchased a Holley Sniper distributor and CD box.

When all of the above was complete my Ford was driving great at coolant temperatures that seemed to never stop climbing. Very disturbing.

After I read on this forum about gasman using a clutch fan I decided to give THAT a try...

Yesterday I completed the installation of a 20" Derale fan, a Hayden clutch and a custom shroud and IT WORKED UNBELIEVABLY WELL!!! The temp didn't climb above 190 with the A/C on and it would drop to 180 with any driving.

Not a valid attachment ID.Redtop.jpgThrottle Body L.jpgClutch Fan.jpgCPU.jpg     
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Com'on...you can think of something else to start on, lol. At least maybe now you can take long road trips with a bit less worry.
I've got to ask, because I never understood this........That Holley sniper.....they call it fuel injection, correct? Similar to the first Ford throttle bodies? It doesn't have fuel injectors, so what makes it different than a carbuator. Not being a smart-ass.....I just don't know!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

I like the radiator and shroud, did you buy the set up as a unit? What size is your radiator?
Thanks for posting the photos.

KYBlueOval

Lynn.......very good news that you seem to have it fixed! Can you tell me how much space you had to work with between the back side of the radiator and the the water pump front hub, where the Hayden clutch mounted?
Or said another way, How much space/depth does the fan and clutch assembly require?
John

lalessi1

Rich, the Holley throttle body does have fuel injectors, 4 of them to be exact. They inject 60 psi fuel through a series of annular holes above each throttle plate. The unit I bought unlike the Sniper model does not contain the CPU, the is mounted in my case under the glove box.

Wirenut, I have the Griffin "exact fit radiator", it is 18"x 24" x 2.68". I modified mine by moving the mounting flange from the front of the radiator 2" toward the engine side. This moved the radiator 2" toward the grill in the 6 cylinder location. I used a U shape for the flanges (see the pic...) I designed the shroud and had a local sheet metal shop fabricate it. I did have to notch the shroud at the upper radiator hose to get it to clear. (Griffin does make this radiator in a 6 cylinder configuration.)

https://www.griffinrad.com/load_details3.php?PartID=203&year=1957&make=Ford&model=Fairlane&select_Main_Group=&select_Sub_Group=&select_Sub_Group_model=&select_Sub_Group_Engine=&select_Sub_Group_HorsePower=&key_id=7-00101

John, The face of the clutch is roughly 3/4" from the radiator face (the fan blades are farther away). The shroud overall depth is 2 3/4" and the fan edge protrudes out about an additional 3/8" on the engine side. On my engine/accessory combination there is more room for the mechanical fan than electric ones. I have a 1/2" fan spacer.
Lynn

Wirenut

Thank you Lynn, I made my own shroud very close to what yours is but not as nice, I did not install the radius outside of the actual radiator core dimensions. I see your detail and dimensions on your other post and will use it. I appreciate you posting the photos and details/sketch.
Best: Regards, Kerby