News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fordomatic removal - tranny support welded in place

Started by jhicks5, 2022-06-06 19:41

Previous topic - Next topic

jhicks5

While working on my Fordomatic I discovered that someone had welded (rather than bolted) the transmission support in place (The one supporting the tailshaft housing, running frame rail to frame rail).

Is it possible to get the Fordomatic out of a '57 with that support in place?  I don't really wanna hear that you gotta pull the engine, but ....... give it to me straight doc......   Anyone know?

59meteor

Unfortunately, finding the transmission crossmember welded in is not really rare. Between the bolts either breaking off in the frame, the threaded inserts either spinning inside the frame, or being stripped out, if not unheard of, especially after 65 years. The easiest way to get the transmission out with a welded crossmember, is to remove the engine. If you remove the front sheetmetal clip (less than a dozen bolts), you could pull the engine and trans out together. You MAAY be able to sneak the trans out , by sliding the transmission back as far as you can, and then remove the torque convertor and bellhousing, then try to "nose dive" the front of the trans, but that is pretty tricky, and risky.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

cokefirst

Quote from: jhicks5 on 2022-06-06 19:41While working on my Fordomatic I discovered that someone had welded (rather than bolted) the transmission support in place (The one supporting the tailshaft housing, running frame rail to frame rail).

Is it possible to get the Fordomatic out of a '57 with that support in place?  I don't really wanna hear that you gotta pull the engine, but ....... give it to me straight doc......   Anyone know?

Do you have an old time Transmission shop in your area?  If so, I am willing to bet they can do the same trick they use on the 55-57 Thunderbirds.  They remove the transmission in 3 sections on those cars so you do not have to pull the engine.  The transmissions are very similar and I bet someone there can do the same thing.  Go to CTCI.ORG and look for the clubs in Minnesota and call the president and ask him who does the transmissions on their cars without removing the engine.  I wish you were closer, there is a guy in my town that does this.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

SkylinerRon

Might be easier to cut the welds and rebuild the mounting points.