News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hawaiian Ranchero Rust Repair

Started by smkeeman, 2022-06-12 17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

smkeeman

Not sure how to really start this thread; but, since I usually start with a long story, short disclaimer.  This time it'll be long story, long...

Honestly, I wanted to get this rust repaired around the windshield frame and a-pillar as soon as I could, but I didn't think I had the time, skill, or patience to follow through.  What really sparked the entire repair was an innocent post asking a question about compatibility of parts.  I was just looking around to see if anyone could tell me if the front windshield and a-pillar from a 58 would work on my Ranchero. One of, if not the first, people to reply was Terry_208.  Not only did he give me the answer that I needed, he told me of a car he knew of, not to far from him, that might have the sheet metal that I needed.

Now to be honest, I honestly thought our conversation was going to end there.  Why would a complete stranger, 3000 miles away, take time out of there day for another guys project. Not thinking anything would come of this, I gave him my phone number.  Well a few days later I get a text message from Terry with some photos of the car and the sheet metal that I need.  He was nice enough to negotiate the deal, cut it out, box up the clip, and ship it to Hawaii.  A few weeks later the piece arrives and its perfect. 

Terry, thanks for everything.  This would not have been possible without you.

smkeeman

These are some photos of the existing damage that was in there.  The second photo is the outer layer of the clip that Terry sent to me.

smkeeman

Here is the inner layer getting replaced and the new windshield frame piece getting fit up.

smkeeman

More fit up

smkeeman

The drip rail, drip rail corner piece, and starting the roof insert.  This was a challenge.  I am sure there are easier ways to make this piece but with the limited tooling and more important, skill, I have this proved to be the best method.

smkeeman

Had to add a couple of "extra" patch panels to remove some misalignment from overstretching the metal, but it's nothing a little epoxy filler can't take care of.

smkeeman

Epoxy primer and paint. 

smkeeman

A new windshield with some polished stainless trim and she's ready for a cruise to the beach. 

I still have plenty more rust to fix, the drip rail on the passenger side needs repair, hence the white roof.  I also found some damage on the drivers fender, the headlight panels are rotten, the grill need some major work and there is more body filler starting to show all over the car.  I figure I'll start working at it a little at a time, when I get a little more time and space, I'll explore removing the body from the frame.

rmk57

It would certainly have it's challenges restoring a 57 Ford on the Hawaiian Islands, especially the sheet metal. Your Ranchero looks great and nice job on the dogleg, that's complicated piece to fabricate.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

First, Thanks for updating us on your progress. I for one am really happy to see you decided to tackle it yourself, you're doing an amazing job. Looks great.

Secondly, kudos to Terry for getting that done for you. That's what this forum has been about for years.
Thirdly, when you get ready to tackle those headlight surrounds, give us a holler. They are available from EMS, but frankly, not well made, so takes some rework to the pieces before it's even started. I've got some ideas on a way to make it easier. Just let us know. On the other hand, if you can find some NOS original Ford (well made) panels, grab them. They are expensive but do come up occasionally.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Great job!  You were so fortunate to get that patch panel.  Terry, you did a really great thing!

djfordmanjack

Great efforts, well done !!!
That is a very difficult area to repair and the oem metal certainly helped a lot. Terry is one of those kind, helping guys here on this forum! Awesome !
You tackled this project like an expert (mostly), so there is no reason, why you wouldn't be able to do the rest of the car justice and also attack those other 'typical 57 spots'.
One thing, though. just imho. NEVER , EVER, pull the body off the chassis! You may regret that decision ( like me) as it opens a gazillion of other boxes and may take you years to get the car back on the road. Highly recommend keeping this a rolling project and enjoy it while you are driving and doing smaller repair projects. Please keep us posted with your efforts - neat beach cruise pics, surf and whatnot included !  :002:

Ford Blue blood

Very nice work!  Yup, many surprises with these old cars.  It wouldn't be fun if there weren't a few.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Lynn

KYBlueOval

X 2 on an Excellent job! I might add that the "57 Gods" were looking out for smkeeman and Terry, in the fact that Terry found a "dogleg" that is not rusted out. That was a real find in my opinion.