News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hawaiian Ranchero Rust Repair

Started by smkeeman, 2022-06-12 17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Looking very nice. I know it is a lot of work, as I've been through the same issues on my Ranchero. Keep after it, you'll get there!
John

Ford Blue blood

Very nice!  I was very lucky, my structure was very solid, you have tackled a project I might have turned down.  As John said....keep at it, that light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an on coming train!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Lynn

hiball3985

The work you have done is looking good, what a major project..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Great job Sean. With all the finish/pretty work left to do, you're at the stage that I miss the most about doing a build. Keep up the good work, glad Terry is lending support.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

smkeeman

Well, I've been back at, slowly, but getting some things done.  Floor pans forward of the rear axle are solid and in, back wall is in along with all of the brackets.  So with that done I decided to pull the rest of the bed up, and like everything else so far I found a mess.  The bed was rotten, but the "trunk" pans and rear body mount brackets were much worse.  As of now I have the trunk pans and new body mount brackets fabricated with the drivers side installed.  I'll start cutting the rest of the passenger side out shortly.  Once all of that is done then I will address all of the weld grinding, epoxy filler, and paint that it needs to make it last forever. Then I get to fab up the four panels that make up the sides of the bed.

smkeeman

I just realized that I never uploaded final images of the rear floor pans and back wall.

57chero

As a fellow Ranchero owner all the work you've done is very impressive, I don't think I would have taken on such an involved project, way beyond my capabilities luckily mine was pretty solid except for one rocker and the bottom of the tailgate. Looks like you lucked on the spare tire well, one thing I've always wondered is why some Rancheros have the two openings in the bottom of the wall behind the seat, mine and a couple of Rancheros that I've parted out had a solid wall all the way down to the floorboard?

hiball3985

Quote from: 57chero on 2022-09-16 10:35As a fellow Ranchero owner all the work you've done is very impressive, I don't think I would have taken on such an involved project, way beyond my capabilities luckily mine was pretty solid except for one rocker and the bottom of the tailgate. Looks like you lucked on the spare tire well, one thing I've always wondered is why some Rancheros have the two openings in the bottom of the wall behind the seat, mine and a couple of Rancheros that I've parted out had a solid wall all the way down to the floorboard?
Good question, I was just thinking the same. Mine doesn't have the holes and a friends doesn't either. I have seen other pictures showing them so I don't know why the difference..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

Amazing job. Looks great.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

djfordmanjack

Obviously the Ranchero's bed was based on the floors of the station wagons, so that, with the double layer floors and panels, really creates a mess when water is coming in from a non enclosed compartment.
Interesting to note that your Ranchero was originally Inca Gold and Colonial White!

smkeeman

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2022-09-16 11:34Good question, I was just thinking the same. Mine doesn't have the holes and a friends doesn't either. I have seen other pictures showing them so I don't know why the difference..

Thats interesting.  I've been trying to figure out why they were there and I was chalking it up to access to the body mount bolts.  When I am finished with all of the grinding and painting, I am planning to make some removable covers out of sheet steel to close them up. 

smkeeman

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2022-09-16 13:15Obviously the Ranchero's bed was based on the floors of the station wagons, so that, with the double layer floors and panels, really creates a mess when water is coming in from a non enclosed compartment.
Interesting to note that your Ranchero was originally Inca Gold and Colonial White!

You have great eye for those details.  Honestly, I was so focused in on the rust red color that was all over these panels that never really clicked.  I searched some images of that color combo and it is nice. I am a long ways away from final paint but that returning to original is interesting thought. 

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2022-09-16 11:34Good question, I was just thinking the same. Mine doesn't have the holes and a friends doesn't either. I have seen other pictures showing them so I don't know why the difference..
My Ranchero has the two openings. I've seen others both with and with out. Being that there is very limited storage space inside a Ranchero, I opted to make storage boxes that mount behind the two openings, that are accessed from the cab.When I get to the upholstery stage, I'll come up with some kind of access door. I can post some photos if anyone is interested.
John

hiball3985

My first thought was making speaker boxes to mount in the holes, only to find mine doesn't have them  :005:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang