News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1958 Edsel Pacer: "The place-holder"

Started by greaseball, 2022-06-18 19:39

Previous topic - Next topic

greaseball

This was my '57 Fairlane prior to 2018.
Fully shaved, custom front end, all the tricks.

IMG_20180117_121812.jpg(I suck at re-sizing pics so please be patient,)

greaseball

Grandpa's best friend Harry bought it off the dealer lot "like new in '62",
Drove it a few years, sold it to my Aunt. It was also Mom and my Uncle's 1st car (and my 1st car,) IMG_20180117_121701.jpg

I wanted to make it as unique and special as the man that gave it to me...

greaseball

It never was nice enough to be a proper tribute to Grandpa.

Then in 2018, this happened:

greaseball

I had at least 3 other projects at the time (same demise,), and it really, really sucked.
So, even though I had a few people offer me a few things, I decided to "never mess with old cars again"

That lasted about 6 months....
And I found this ol' trickster...
No rear-end, no front seat, stuck FE engine, dent on the rear R. side, rusted-up floor.
But pretty much there, and only the floors are rotten

greaseball

My buddy had given me a '59 Edsel frame, so those wheels are on it now.

The Fairlane's front-end wasn't burned-up, so I will be swapping it onto the Edsel (along with a '58 Ford Dash).
I'm shaving the handles, installing the dash/front end and that will be all the "adjustments" I will make.

I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy, I mess up alot, but I need to get this thing on the road! For me! And Granny is still alive so should could take a ride with me also...

Anyways, I thought some of you might be interested in seeing where I'm coming from and what I've got going on.
Thanks!

RICH MUISE

Thanks for posting.....that fire really sucked. Ford (sorta) front end on an Edsel is sure a 180* from the norm! I envy guys that live out in the country...what part of the country is that? And DO give granny a ride, she'll appreciate it. I got mine from my mother-in-law after my wife's dad died, and she's still here. I've taken her for several rides.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

greaseball

Thanks man! I never thought about how many Ranchero's are running Edsel front-ends & taillights, I'm wondering about that now ("Ed-chero's"). So yeah, different than normal. To me, the only thing "wrong" with the Edsel is the conflicting body-lines on the front-end, so changing it seems like a good idea.
This is Northern California.
I hope I get to! Great Grandma lived to be 99 and 1/2 almost to the day, so I hope I can get this thing together, drive-able & safe ASAP.
That's cool! I wonder where to go on the drive to....

Edsel after swapping in '59 rear end front hubs & pulling engine trans (which I filmed, dumb mistakes and all, but, still less than 5 mins :003:

https://youtu.be/ZgMCCifcEfw
you might love the elevator music, or you might not,

I forget why the generator is on the cowl. I have an alternator that I won't need to polarize.

KULTULZ

Interesting ...

Now the front end, did you use 58 FORD fenders or did you modify and are those 59 DESOTO HDL's?

What is the rear bumper(s) off of and did you modify the rear body panel? Nice trick on the deck lid ...
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN