News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front lowere, now lots of bounce

Started by Fabulous50s, 2022-07-18 20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

I put T-Bird springs on the front of my 59 which lowered in about 2.5".

My KYB shocks are now out of their range and I've got some serious bounce.

What recommendations for lowered shocks have you found to work?
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

abe_lugo

I just did mine I used the AC DELCO version  OF THE AEROSTSR SPRINGS.  With the KYBs people say to use here. No bounciness I have not launched it into the he freeway yet.
Search Kyb in the search box for the number. 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

Fabulous50s

No luck with the KYB search. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I put Moog Aerostar springs on my car and the bump stops were about 1/2" from bottoming out. I suspect that may be the source of the "bounce". If the shocks bottom out that is a hard stop that might break something. In my case I added a 1/2" spacer between the spring and the lower a-arm.

I have decided to go with dropped spindles at some point in the future to regain suspension travel...
Lynn

KULTULZ

Quote from: Fabulous50s on 2022-07-18 20:48I put T-Bird springs on the front of my 59 which lowered in about 2.5".

My KYB shocks are now out of their range and I've got some serious bounce.

What recommendations for lowered shocks have you found to work?

You have to measure suspension travel to determine correct shock travel length.

There is no shortcut other than someone having previously done what you are doing with the same car and he shares his build info.

Read through the below URL's and it will give you an idea of how to go about it -

https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4779/~/what-length-shocks-do-i-need%3F

https://secure.chassisshop.com/common/support/SolutionDetail.aspx?SolutionID=34

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/monroe_measurements.cfm

If the MONROE CHART is usable, you would then cross-reference their PN to whatever brand you plan on using. You also have to consider how the car is going to be used for stiffness.

What year BIRD coils and why did you choose them?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

RICH MUISE

quote:"no shortcut other than someone having previously done what you are doing"...........that's the thing here, and reason for the minimal responses. This is the first I remember hearing of "T-Bird springs".....so likely no one has any direct info.

KULTULZ

Yeah, I am curious too about "T-BIRD SPRINGS"

I would like to know the source.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

hiball3985

Eaton makes springs for TBirds but I don't know the specs.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

There are several things to know before altering your front springs. Best to find someone who has changed springs and is satisfied with their results before you start. Stock 57 springs are rated between 2025 and 2325 lbs depending on model and equipment. Most are 2225. Probably best to get a recommendation from a known supplier/vendor.  (Try to find an old guy who has been around a while.)

Good luck,

Ron.

Ford Blue blood

I am running the stock Ranchero springs with 1 & 1/2 turns cut off.  They ride just right, not harsh and no bounce.  Only a 1/2 inch spacer on the rear springs.  Think the stance came out OK.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KULTULZ

Now just a darn minute here!

I didn't realize you could increase photo size here ...

I though looking at the smaller photo that is was a '58 hood but you had to go whole hog and go BIRD ...

Is the scoop grafted from a SQUAREBIRD or later? It looks nice ...  :006:

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

RICH MUISE

That is a great look isn't it! Gary/Gasman did the same. I think they are actually using the complete hood skin, not just the scoop, but I'll let them fill in the details.

Back to the spring discussion, if I remember correctly, Ford used 9 different front coil springs to keep ride height consistent regardless of model/options. Eaton detroit replicates 3 of those. Any front half changes at all from OEM are going to get each individual car into it's own personal modifications to get the ride height where you want it.
My front coils are the lightest (6 cyl) that Eaton makes, and made my car look like a gasser when installed. It took 1 1/4" (inches, not coils) iirc,removed from the height of the springs to get it where I wanted. As massive as my dohc engine is, the block, heads, intake, are all aluminum, as is my tranny and radiator. Way lighter than the OEM 6 cyl.  Whatever inches are  removed from the (non-variable rate) springs is essentially doubled in the resulting drop

KULTULZ

QuoteThat is a great look isn't it! Gary/Gasdman did the same. I think they are actually using the complete hood skin, not just the scoop, but I'll let them fill in the details.

It is a great look. I have seen a few examples before (photos) and this looks more period correct (to me anyways) say than a BABY BIRD scoop. Much cleaner than a '58 hood.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

gasman826

PIC: full '65 Thunderbird skinDSC02695.JPG