News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Ranchero questions

Started by cos, 2022-07-31 19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

cos

Hello Members  I've  check in here over last few years. Been looking for 57 ranchero for last ten years or so. I wanted one that was already done.  Well one showed up local craigslist, it was a basket case. Fella started it about 1967 and has been in his shop since. I did a frame off redo on my 56TB so I know what Iam getting into. He passed away a few months ago  and his house and shop sold so everything had to go. I made a offer to his brother and he stuck his hand out. Both upper and lower A-arms were off,  tires flat and ruined.  I spend three days hauling parts and putting A-arms back on to get it on trailer. I will have questions hopefully I can get advice here. First one is polishing SS windshield trim. As I recall glass must come out to get trim out. I really don't take WS out, it is perfect and don't want to break it. Has anyone here had any sucess polishing in place. (No dents} sorry for being long winded. Cos  Oregon

RICH MUISE

You heard correctly, the glass needs to be removed to get the trim/seal/glass out (as a unit). The trim cannot be removed alone. Once removed, you will see why.
Just my 2 cents: You'll be able to get it better than it is leaving it in to do the polishing, but nowhere close to what you'd get spending some hours sanding, polishing and a few hours on a buffer. Something else to consider is the condition of the seal. If it's original, or been in there for many years, it may need replacing anyways. If you do decide to remove the glass, check with us for tips on how to do it. I r&r'd mine with no issues, it was my first.
Generally speaking, the windshield trim gets the brunt of all the roadrash compared to the side and rear trims. I spent probably 20 - 30 hours alone on my windshield trim removing a few thousands from the entire surface to get rid of the zillions of tiny specks. That was done using a set of rubberized diamond impregnated wheels (4") from Harbor Freight. The fine wheels will remove material without leaving  swirl marks that are even harder to get out than the tiny specks.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Best way to remove the windshield is cut the rubber on the inside after all the trim is removed.  When you can see all the pinch weld it should push out fairly easy.  Having a helper available to put even pressure on the top then the bottom should turn it loose.  Agree with what Rich said, much easier and far superior results to polish off the car.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Mornin' Bill..........just to clarify, "cut the rubber on the inside after all the trim is removed."............by "trim", I'm sure you meant garnish rails, not the ss trim we're talking about.??

Ford Blue blood

That's correct Rich, the garnish moldings.  Looking at my words I can see where the confusion came from.  Thanks for clarifying.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

cos

Thanks for replies. The WS gasket (seal) is in perfect condition also. Back window SS trim has a few dents so it must come out. Maybe if I get it out without breaking it will try front. I helped body guy take the one in TB out, laid on our backs and push it out with feet. Didn't break it, he said if they are no good they never break.

smkeeman

I just did mine earlier this year.  It was my first as well.  I didn't have much of an option as the glass was cracked already. Being in Hawaii and shipping being more than the glass I was very nervous putting the new windshield back in, but my 15 y/o son and I got it with minimal problems.

Definitely something you can tackle and if you want to get the stainless straight and glowing then you'll really want to have it off of the car.

Ford Blue blood

Given the cost of a new windshield rubber vs the cost of the glass it seams as though taking a chance on cracking the glass is too high.  I would cut the rubber on the inside, just MHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

cos

Never cut seal before. Is best way use razor knife and cut off part that over hangs over pinch seam on inside? Thanks for comments.  Bill  Oregon

lalessi1

I cut mine on the outside with a box knife w/ a new blade. I think I cut it using the inside edge of the stainless as a guide.I removed the trim and cut to expose the edge of the glass and pushed it out. No harm to the glass but I put a new windshield in anyway... This coming from a memory that remembers...what was I saying?
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Quote from: cos on 2022-08-23 09:23Never cut seal before. Is best way use razor knife and cut off part that over hangs over pinch seam on inside? Thanks for comments.  Bill  Oregon
That's the normal procedure. Nothing wrong with the way Lynn did it either, except it seems like more work to me.

lalessi1

Knowing my "steady" hand I didn't want to cut the headliner!
Lynn