News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Started My Rear Brake Job...

Started by lalessi1, 2022-08-23 15:19

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I was gonna take the Ford out the other day and the brake pedal was not up to snuff. A quick check and the fluid was empty on the rears. I had replaced the cylinders once already so I bought (2) AC Delco units. The left has had a minor leak  for a while evidenced by a locking wheel after a sitting for couple of weeks so I knew this was coming. The brakes would straighten out a couple of stops. Anyway I had no idea that nobody(?) makes drums anymore for our cars... I have new Strange axles and now I can't get the drums off they are a TIGHT fit on the axle centers. The puller I have is worthless. Any words of wisdom out there? I ordered a new drum puller so I am waiting on parts plus it still hasn't stopped raining.
Lynn

BP57CUSTOM

You did back off the shoes as far as you could, of coarse you did. Oil up the axle center well. Maybe use a large screwdriver around the back of the drumbs while hitting the sides of the drum with a hammer side to side. Good luck and seek high ground. Barry
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

gasman826

You wouldn't think the drums have been on long enough to rust tight.  I was taught to grab a big hammer and beat the crap out of drums rusted to the axle.  First make sure the drums are rusted to the axle and not some other issue like swollen brake shoes or stuck parking brake cable.  In 50 years, I have never broken a good drum!

lalessi1

Well I finally received the brake drum puller. It worked like a champ. I appreciate the suggestions, the drum was almost a press fit on the axle.
Lynn

Marc

I picked up new drums from Kanter not too long ago. Believe they still sell them, front and rear.