News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

427 Highriser

Started by milehihuntsman, 2022-09-11 14:27

Previous topic - Next topic

milehihuntsman

Hello, my first post here. Will a 427 highriser dual carb setup fit under the hood of a 57? I did a search and don't see any specific feedback other than it appears any FE should go right in, but nothing on the highriser. It seems like we have upward space for days, but my guess is that the highriser is too tall to fit under the stock hood. Anybody try? Thanks!

RICH MUISE

I can't answer your question, but welcome to the forum! It shouldn't take long to get your answer.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Welcome to the board!  Remember we live and die for pictures and there is no such thing as too many of them!  I trust you will find the folks here happy to help and share info.

Never did one of those but see no reason why it wouldn't fit.  The block is the same, heads are taller but there is plenty of room above the deck surface in the engine bay.  Headers and the steering box might be the only fitment issue and that is easy enough to fix.  Hood to carb shouldn't be a problem as there are several FEs with tall intakes out there already.  Maybe someone with an FE can chime in here.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Should bolt right in. I have seen some people have a minor air filter issue with the hood latch, no hood clearance issues though. I can measure mine if you'd like. Welcome to the forum!
Lynn

SkylinerRon

Remove the carb aircleaner studs first! Modeling clay works well.

milehihuntsman

Thanks for the replies. Don't see any issues with the block or heads, it's the height of the intake and carbs that I'm worried about. Thought if someone already tried it, it would save me from the pain of dropping it in and then finding out it wouldn't work. But looks like I may just have to try. Thanks!

Jeff Norwell

The only issue you will have is the steering box.
Use a 58 or 59 steering box, Use 58 FE engine mounts(332 or 352)
The engine is a bolt as mentioned.
James used  Hooker headers from a BB late 60's Mustang...(its somewhere on the site.)James has quite a bit of info on his 427 powered 57 on this site.
Not sure if he has a HiRiser.
A very good friend of mine is doing a 427 Hi riser in a late 68 Mustang.... apples and Oranges I know... but if that monster can fit in that car.. a 57 should be a pinch!
Welcome.

Jeff

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

I used '67-70 Mustang headers on my 351W install in the wagon and they fit like they were made for it.  Since '67-70 Mustangs sported Windsor and FE engines, I would assume the Mustang headers would fit the FE in a '57 as well.  I had intended to put a FE in my wagon and you can see from the picture that the Tunnel Wedge intake is taller than the High Rise intake...even with 1" spacers.  Interference with the hood would likely be dealt with a glass hood or some kind of hood modification.  Using the traditional 2x4 aluminum air cleaner will interfere with the firewall/hood latch.  I have an aluminum air cleaner that someone modified a long time ago.

59meteor

I have the FPA headers on my 428 CJ powered 59 2 door sedan, specifically made for 57-59 Ford cars with FE engines. I understand the same Hooker 6114 headers that I had on my old 428CJ 70 Mach 1, will fit a 57-59 car, with 1 tube reworked, however, the collectors dump 1 or 2 inches away from the factory transmission crossmember, and right in the center of it. The FPA headers are kinda a 3/4 length header, and allow the exhaust pipes to run on top of the trans crossmember, like stock. I have a Toploader 4 speed, and retained all the factory mechanical clutch linkage, with very minor modifications.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

octane

Milehihuntsman, currently I have a 390 in my 57.  I have a 427HR that I plan on installing at some point.  However, I have a single 4 intake instead of the dual.  I am curious about your hood clearance.  If you need some measurements, let me know.  Maybe the distance from the intake rail on the block to the where the air cleaner sits on the carbs?  I can compare that to the 390 that is in my car.  Might give you some idea if you are still looking for information.
Octane

57 Custom
63 Galaxie
70 F100
(2) 71 Chevrolet C10's

59meteor

Not sure how close in underhood dimensions my 59 is to a 57, but I would be surprised if a High Riser intake setup would clear the stock hood, with a air cleaner. On my 59, I have a 428 Cobra Jet with TFS aluminum heads and an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. With a 1" carb spacer, and a dropped base open element 289 HiPo air cleaner, I have about 5/8" of space between the hood, and the air cleaner lid, at the tightest spot. But a High Riser intake is a fair bit taller than that, I would assume. I never had it on a 57 or my 59, but when I had a 2x4 Tunnel Wedge intake, I seemed to recall that heightwise, it was very close to a Medium Riser intake. I think a High Riser intake would be at least an inch taller than either of those. But I have never owned any High Riser stuff, so just going by my eyeballs and memory comparing my buddy High Riser compared  to what my Cobra Jet and MR stuff looked like.
As for the oval air cleaner, I guess the 3x2 and 2x4 setups have the air cleaner in a different location. Years ago, I had a factory 3x2 setup on the FE in my 57 Sedan Delivery, and the factory 3x2 aluminum air cleaner cleared the 57s stock hood latch without alteration, although the hook at the back of the hood, for the latch was very close, but did not interfere. So I am guessing a 2x4 Low Riser and Medium Riser place the air cleaner closer to the firewall. Anybody know if the 1x4 and 2x4 High Riser intakes are similar in height?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.