Fuel Filter Location with Vacuum Fuel Pump

Started by mschambe, 2022-10-04 21:04

Previous topic - Next topic

mschambe

With the vacuum fuel pump, does it matter if the fuel filter is before or after the pump?   I know Ford put them after the pump on 57 T'birds.   I recently bought a 57 Fairlane with the 312 V8 and the previous owner put the filter back by the fuel tank.   The fuel pump quit working after I bought it and I replaced it with a new Carter vacuum fuel pump.   A month later, the new pump also quit working.   I am wondering if it is better to have the filter after the fuel pump?
57 Fairlane 500 Sunliner

KULTULZ

After a mechanical fuel pump.

You will most likely experience vapor lock/fuel separation if placed before.

Check the tank for trash. If the present filter is plugged, the fuel tank has to be inspected. Most likely why it was placed there.

FORGOT - Ethanol laced gasoline plays havoc on a cellulose fuel filter media.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

geraldchainsaw

since we'rre on the ssubj of fuel filters and pumps,    I have a question,    back in the days come winter we used a gas additive to obsorb or get rid of  WATER in the gas tank,   now,  if this new gas ethanol is part water,   wouldn't the additive I'm talking about take carre of it?,  and question 2,    if we store the car for 4 months durng winter,   do we have to use a gas stabilizer,  or is 4 months not that long?  thanks  for any  input,    jerry

KULTULZ

Well, yes and yes ...

Quote... the use of an ethanol treatment product contains increased water handling additives that will help a stored vehicle handle the excess water that tends to build up in an open vented system. Ethanol treatments also have enhanced corrosion inhibitors that will help protect the metal portions of the fuel system from corrosion that is caused by any water/ethanol blend that may �develop over time in a fuel tank.

SOURCE - https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/11/impact-of-todays-fuels-n-carbureted-engines/

You have a vented gas tank and carburetor so you are fighting direct atmospheric contact (ethanol blended gasoline draws moisture from the atmosphere (hygroscopic).

There are short term and long term (storage) treatments. The gasoline itself can be tested to see how much water is in it easily. If excessive moisture content, a can of DRY GAS (isopropyl alcohol isn't going to hurt it. It surrounds water droplets and suspends them to be more easily drawn into the pump.

Read that TECH ARTICLE fully.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

Marc

So happy to have a Buc-ee's down the road from me that sells 90 octane non-ethanol fuel. The ol' 57 loves that stuff.

KULTULZ

Quote from: Marc on 2022-12-06 07:16So happy to have a Buc-ee's down the road from me that sells 90 octane non-ethanol fuel. The ol' 57 loves that stuff.

Yes you are but don't forget gasoline draws moisture also, just not to the degree ethanol laced gasoline does. DRY-GAS might be a consideration once is a while.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

Marc

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2022-12-06 11:12Yes you are but don't forget gasoline draws moisture also, just not to the degree ethanol laced gasoline does. DRY-GAS might be a consideration once is a while.
No doubt. I've used dry gas quite a bit over the years. The car doesn't sit still for very long these days though so at least for now it's not a huge concern.