News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

You guys made me buy this...

Started by mustang6984, 2022-10-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Thats one way to do it, not the best but better the nothing :002:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

I can change it before I put it all back together. What do you have in mind? The tried and true valve cover version?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

I can't tell from that picture but I'll guess they just drilled a hole in the valley cover and added a grommet and PCV valve? The problem with that is there is no baffle under it ti prevent it from sucking oil. The 61-64 engines had a hole and a baffle, thats the preferred cover to use. It also has a cap that goes on it with an outlet for a hose. Running the hose to the intake is also a bad idea, that will effect the mixture to the rear two cylinders. Even the factory set up did it that way, bad idea. It's best to run the hose into a spacer under the carb. Here is a picture of how the factory did it but all those parts are hard to find. I had to make a modified version.37168744lb.jpg37168744lb.jpg 
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

So are the spacers available, or do I have to make one?
And if they are available, anyone have a part number?
Thanks.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Did you do your planned cruise today? Colder than heck here.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

We did. Was a bit nippy here too. Went  had lunch/dinner at Neal's Restaurant Springdale,and then headed home. Not many cars, but it was fine. Had 27 people show up.

Sunday will also be a good day to be in the shop as it won't be warm outside...and we are removing the engine from the Fairlane.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Hugh, Jim !
The pics that Jim saved and posted are actually taken on my bench.... :003:

x2 all what Jim said above. You better believe him, he knows his Y blocks in and out !

The spot welds in the pics is not that the baffle plate was recently applied or added, but it was a repair, because the original weld tabs had cracked and I welded those up and added another set of little weld 'brackets' to the other side. so the vibrations are spread to both sides and no more stress cracks.
( interesting trivia, is that the pressings in that plate more or less resembles the pressing in a 32 Ford firewall ! they must have figured out a certain stamping pattern, which gives most stiffness and least vibration, but maybe just coincidence).

you can also see the box shaped baffle to the rear. it just about covers the actual bung that the hose fitting is attached to.

I wouldn't attach the hose to the intake either.
one of my 2bbl Y blocks has a , what I think is a Autolite carb, and it actually has a separate spacer plate with a PCV inlet to the rear. No idea if that is factory oem or later replacement. It also had a threaded fitting which was in fact a spring loaded ball PCV valve inside.

if you have a late 4bbl intake, it has the same bolt pattern as any modern Carter/Edelbrock and you can easily get brand new spacer plates in different heights and materials.

Although a completely different application, but I have had great experience with a 1" phenolic spacer on a 302SBF/Weiand intake in my 34 Ford. it also helped in port matching the carb to the intake , with better idle and low rpm throttle response.

in Jims factory drawing, obviously #6A666 is the actual ball check PCV valve. That is very horrible part# by the way.....

djfordmanjack

marked area shows the bung/cap on valley cover the PCV hose is attached to.
Note: the fitting in the intake next to it is not where the hose goes to ( it needs to go up and forward to the carb). This 292 came out of an F100, so maybe this intake fitting is for a vaccuum gauge ?

This is another block that shows valley cover area where the cap goes. the cap is held on by a long screw (threaded weld nut can actually be seen on the bare metal pics above)

That's the actual cap/ hose fitting, #6A665 (...phew.... :003: )

hiball3985

Thanks G for the added pictures :001: , that better shows the proffered parts to use. On my set up I use a Holley 4V that has a port for the PCV then a solid phenolic spacer under the carb.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Thanks G...I am running a 2-bbl...and will probably leave it that way as the car is original and I kinda want to keep it same. I will look for the 2-bbl set-up!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Hugh, have you checked  your og 2bbl intake, the area just in front of the carb? look at the diagram Jim posted, there is a 45°(?) fitting that goes into the intake and connects the PCV hose. You could easily drill and tap your manifold, if it doesn't have said port. that way you can omit the additional spacer. the vaccuum will be spread more evenly between the runners. don't forget an inline PCV valve, or one misfire, and you'll blow up your whole engine....( at least make a mess of the crank case, oil pan gaskets and whatnot...)

hiball3985

Also when adding a PCV it's important to get one that flows the right way. I've actually seen people put them in the backwards :005: .
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Yea...I have heard of that happening. LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Okay...pulled the engine today (temps finally got to 60 today...beats the 25-35 we have had).
Note in pic number 4 the numbers on the firewall. Are these from the factory? Never seen any before on a firewall.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Making good progress :001: Over the years I've seen parts marked like that, usually in yellow.I always drool :023: when I see OD trans. 
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang