News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

American made brake shoes

Started by BP57CUSTOM, 2022-10-08 12:58

Previous topic - Next topic

BP57CUSTOM

Where can I buy American made rear brake shoes? Evervthing i'm finding on line is chinese. 57 custom 300.
Thanks
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

KULTULZ

Most likely you are not. The simple truth is low demand and the cost of manufacturing in the U.S.

If you also notice, the off-shore shoes are coming through with both front and rear shoe pads being the same length, quality be damned.

The best way out (IMO) is if you have a good set of shoes have then relined by a QUALITY VENDOR. There are varying quality/degrees on friction materials available for how you drive the car.

Check this out - https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/products/friction/brake-shoes.html

NOTE - The above shoes are available in rear only. Meant to be used with front disc.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

BP57CUSTOM

Your  probably right, Do you know of a rebuilder? thanks Barry
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

lalessi1

I bought riveted shoes by Centrix 11200550 (Heavy Duty) from Rock Auto. They actually had different length linings for the leading and trailing shoes. You might look at DFC, Rock Auto sells them also. I bought ACDelco cylinders.
Lynn

KULTULZ

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2022-10-09 09:04I bought riveted shoes by Centrix 11200550 (Heavy Duty) from Rock Auto. They actually had different length linings for the leading and trailing shoes. You might look at DFC, Rock Auto sells them also. I bought ACDelco cylinders.

CENTRIC is a quality product. They got me out of trouble with a TAURUS (ABS) and ESCAPE. Even MOTORCRAFT now is CHI-COM. CENTRIC is made in CHINA but is a quality product. They have several quality levels including HI-PO (STOP-TECH).
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

BP57CUSTOM

I was looking at the Dynamic Friction shoes, I may give them a try for the rears on my car. I just put a set of something else from my lps on the front and was not impressed by them. I'm driving it to the Mountain Moonshine Festival in a couple of weeks, I want it to be safe. Barry
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

KULTULZ

Quote from: BP57CUSTOM on 2022-10-09 08:46Your  probably right, Do you know of a rebuilder? thanks Barry

Don't ever get old and forgetful ...

If you GOOGLE BRAKE SHOE RELINING, you will get a wealth of info.

Just be careful of the lining materials (Ceramic - Carbon Metallic - KEVLAR) you buy (QUALITY) and the type of driving you do. Riveted only. There are no cheap brakes shoes.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

BP57CUSTOM

Unfortunately I'm already old and forgetful. I would also like to get my front shoes that I have already replaced relined. I'll google thet.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

KULTULZ

Depending of the re-liner you come across and choose, many can arc-grind the shoes to match the drum if you give them the mic specs.

Riveted only.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

SkylinerRon

Whitepost Restorations in Va.

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

BP57CUSTOM

I drove my 57 to Dawsonville Saturday and had to be very careful all the way (210 miles round trip) at one time comming back the chingchong brakes on front fadded and I almost ran thru the red light. I haven't had time to pull the front hubs since I got back home. I want to see what the brake linings look like now, they smelled like they were burning off. I have been looking for some US made NOS shoes to turn up on ebay. But i will check these people and see what they can do. Thanks a lot Barry
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

hiball3985

Barry did you have the shoes arced to the drums? If not the new shoes may only be hitting on the high spots. New shoes that aren't arced can take many miles before they wear in and make complete contact, especially if the drums have been turned..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KULTULZ

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2022-10-25 12:22Barry did you have the shoes arced to the drums? If not the new shoes may only be hitting on the high spots. New shoes that aren't arced can take many miles before they wear in and make complete contact, especially if the drums have been turned..

GOOD POINT!

Some reliners can arc the shoes if you give them the exact drum diameter (both should be the same).

Below is a cheater method for new shoes for quicker seating if arc grinding is not available.

Drum brakes are a pain as when the ill-fitting shoes expand, after a few stops the drums heat and expand and you lose braking. Also, as a new set wears in, the adjustment keeps getting larger making more frequent adjustments necessary.

But if the friction materials are quality and all hydraulics are good, they will stop a car.

Brake Shoe - Lining Beveling.jpg
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

hiball3985

If the drums have been turned in the past making the diameter larger you may find the shoe contact is only in the center of the shoe. Hold a shoe against the drum and see where the contact is.
I had this problem with my F100 and I'll bet it took several thousand miles before the shoes fully seated.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang