News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tremec 5 speed swap

Started by tpierce, 2022-11-03 08:39

Previous topic - Next topic

tpierce

My car is 57 2 dr hardtop with bench seat. Currently powered with 351W with AOD trans. I would like to swap in a Tremec 5 speed. Wondering what I need to do the swap. Obviously a clutch pedal set-up, bellhousing. Will it work with the bench seat? I have 3.50 gears in rearend. Also wondering if it will work with my existing crossmember.
I can build it to be better & faster

59meteor

Which model Tremec? A Mustang T5 will have the shifter too far back, I imagine, to clear the bench seat, but something like the recent TKX has several different shifter locations to chose from. I am contemplating replacing the current Toploader 4 speed in my 59, with a 428CJ FE engine, with a TKX. My Toploader is a 1966 Fairlane version, and the Hurst shifter clears the stock bench seat nicely, be nice if the TKX shifter could fit thru the existing hole in the floor. Older Ford engines seem to require an adapter/spacer to work with a regular bellhousing, since for whatever reason, Tremec chose to not make a regular length input shaft as used in 50s, 60s, and most 70s Ford cars, instead using the longer input used with the 79-93 FOX 5.0 Mustangs. Yet they made a GM version of the TKX the same input as a Muncie or BW T-10 4 speed.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

tpierce

Yeah, looks like the TKX is the way to go. I did find a clutch/brake pedal assembly on fleabay. Thinking of going with a hydraulic clutch. I may be adding long tube headers also.
I can build it to be better & faster

KYBlueOval

I'd be interested in what long tube headers you use, as I have a 351W and a 4R70W, and I'm in the process of deciding what headers will fit.
Thanks
John
Louisville KY

81TTA

I haven't looked into all the details of the TKX vs TKO.  But, it seems like there are a LOT of similarities.

As was mentioned, you'll need to pay attention to the input shaft length.  When I was looking into a TKO swap for the FE, seemed like there might have been an option to use different bellhousings?  I didn't have parts to physically verify the dimensions, though.  Not sure if the 351W might have different bellhousing lengths that would make swapping out for the shorter input shaft unnecessary?  Fortunately, Tremec does have the shorter shaft available for purchase if it's needed.  Well, they did for TKO.  I assume the same is true for TKX.

I think the TKX has similar shifter mounting options to the TKO.  The normal/stock shifter location at the rear would definitely interfere with the bench seat.  I think there was a mid-shift location that could be made to work.  There are a million different shift lever options that should offer some sort of bend to help clear the seats, too.  If I remember correctly, although there appears to be a 3rd shift location located very close to the input shaft, they didn't actually offer any hardware for that option.  You were left with using either the middle or rear shifter mounts.

Unfortunately, the hole in the floorboard most likely would have to change when going from toploader to TKX.  The TKO shifter is mounted in the center of the transmission (like a T5) while the toploader shifter is mounted to the side.  Now, I say that....  Since there weren't any factory floor shifts, you (or someone) cut a custom hole in the floor. If that hole is big enough, you could be OK. 

lalessi1

I have a Toploader and an FE in my Custom. I have a Hurst shifter that takes different handles and it required a smaller hole than the Fairlane shifter. I have been looking into the TRX as well. I have a 12" single disc diaphragm clutch with a Tilton hydraulic throw out bearing and a Tilton master cylinder. I have an issue with the clearance on the throw out bearing, it is less than Tilton recommends. A longer mainshaft and spacers may solve that problem. A truck bell housing is 1/2" deeper than a passenger car (I think) so that may work as well. I think American Powertrain has a kit that will let you use the most forward shifter location option which I think will be necessary. I also think you will need to modify your crossmember. I am using FPA headers that I extended for a better fit. The FPA Tri-Y headers for a Fairlane fit but they would have required crossmember mods, I should have kept them!
Lynn

FiveSevenLiter

Here are some photos of when mine went in 10 years ago.
You will not regret it.
3-speed overdrive out, TKO600 in.
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

gasman826

The TKX is more petite than the TKO600.  So it might not require so much tunnel modification.

The TKO600 in rated for 600 FTQ.  The first 460 with 600HP and 655 FT was not an issue.  The latest 460 version with 835 HP and 855 FT has found some weaknesses in the TKO600.  The first shifts in the morning, second and now third gear are not happy.

gasman826

New information to me so I'll share.  I have three cars with Tremec transmissions.  One has a 460 with vintage Lakewood car style for toploader but has a TKO600 (Ford version).  The TKO600 was advertised as a direct replacement for a toploader.  Fortunately, I went directly to a Tremec warehouse dealer.  There was nothing but new, boxed Tremecs...floor to ceiling!  They also had a service department.  They corrected the Tremec claim that the transmission was direct replacement.  The TKO would fit with a spacer between the transmission and the bellhousing or a shorter input shaft.  I opted for the shorter shaft and shaft support.  Fit and works fine.

Car number two has a 427 (FE) with a T56 Magnum.  The T56 requires a Quicktime FE to T56 bellhousing.  Fits and works fine.

Car number three also has a 427 (FE) with the newer TKX (Ford version).  Again, Tremec and others have advertised the Ford version TKX is a direct replacement for toploader.  Again, it is NOT.  The TKX Ford version requires a shorter input shaft kit or a spacer, or a Quicktime FE to TKX bellhousing.  Tremec has so far (and not likely) released a shorter input shaft kit.  An OEM FE car bellhousing without spacer will not work.  An OEM truck bell might work.  A old Lakewood will not work without a spacer.  The spacer costs north of $250.00.  A new Quicktime FE to TKX is north of $1000.00.  I sold the Lakewood and bought a new Quicktime.  Between what I got out of the Lakewood, not buying the spacer, throwing in $150 and not having to return my McLeod release bearing, the Quicktime was a wash.

59meteor

Gasman, what car do you have the TKX in? I really would like a TKX in my 59, which currently has a Toploader 4 speed with a factory cast iron bellhousing from a 196 or 61 Ford car , with the narrow mounting pattern. I am also using the factory mechanical clutch linkage, which I would want to retain. I understand that an adapter/spacer is available for the early, narrow pattern bellhousing. I also have a FE Lakewood scattershield laying around, but chose not to use it, as it interferes with my FPA headers, and also, has the clutch fork positioned lower down, compared to the earlier bell, which prevents the factory clutch linkage from lining up with the fork. The Lakewood, as well as a C5T PU truck bellhousing have the clutch forked "clocked" about 8 O`clock, compared to about 9 O`clock for the 60/61 bell. Also have concerns about the TKX fitting the factory floor and transmission tunnel without cutting it up.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

The 'direct toploader replacement' is again incorrect.  The TKX (as with all Tremecs) does NOT support early narrow bolt pattern toploaders.  The TKX is wide pattern.  The TKX will require minimal tunnel modifications. All floor shifters will require tunnel modifications.  The TKX was designed to fit in smaller tunnels.  The TKX is smaller than the TKO600.  The TKO600 in my '57 required tunnel modification.

lalessi1

Anticipating a TKX, I purchased a FE truck bellhousing, a couple of bellhousing backing plates, and a 12" 26  spline clutch disc to use with my 12' LuK clutch. I decided not to use the "Ford" version for gear ratio reasons. I "think" this will work. Concerns are rear cross member and shifter position (bench seat).
Lynn

gasman826

American Powertrain claims to have a TKX shifter that offers any of the three holes along with side to side adjustments.