News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What kind of battery?

Started by meteor, 2008-12-02 09:09

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

I'm wondering what battery some of you guys are using. I have a 302, but looking for something that fits the stock tray/hold down. I think the space is something like 5.5" x 12.5" x 8" tall. I'm not interested in a battery that looks stock 57, what ever works is fine with me!

Thanks guys.

sorry, I put this post in the wrong spot.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

robhaerr

Most of the guys who are serious about cars are using Optima batteries. Mine is just one from Costco at this point....it's a bit smaller than the tray and hold-down frame.

Since you have a 302...and I am building a 302...what engine mounts are holding yours in place?

Thanks!
Rob
robhaerr@earthlink.net

meteor

I was looking at an Optima battery, they have a red top (34R) that supposedly fits a 57 ford ranchwagon application. The size though seems too wide at 6 7/8" - I know my hold down is only 5 1/2" wide.

lotsafords

Not an Optima fan so I'm using a Power Stride from my Interstate dealer.  Model 29NF fits my 57 Ranchero box perfectly. 

Frankenstein57

Rob, I mocked up a dummy 351  block ,heads, mustang bell housing, T-5 5 speed. Should be the same as your 302 but taller. I used 302 mustang mounts, I had to open up the slot a bit longer. Got them at autozone, mid 90's stang. Mark

meteor

Quote from: lotsafords on 2008-12-02 16:51
Not an Optima fan so I'm using a Power Stride from my Interstate dealer.  Model 29NF fits my 57 Ranchero box perfectly. 

I'm curious, why are you not an Optima fan? Thanks for the tip on the power stride battery.

lotsafords

I had one fail in my ski boat and another in my dodge P/U.  Maybe just a fluke but I know I'm happy with regular batteries.
Jack