News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel gauge sender in tank

Started by Dr. Bob Woods, 2023-01-05 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Bob Woods

I need a fuel level sender for my 57 Ford Ranchero.  It is evidently specific to the ranchero (and probably to the station wagon).  Any suggestions?

-Bob Woods
57 T-bird
57 Ranchero
57 hardtop converted to a "Car Couch"

abe_lugo

there are a few of us waiting to see if a fix comes along, do you happen to have your old one? if it is out, would post some measurements?
I think the top part that coverts the tank hole dimension is different from the Car one, so besides the arm change it might have to be another model if something was modified to make something work.

If you do have your old one, there is a good chance someone can repair it also.

UPDATE I did more searching and the guy that was trying to make some, started selling just the arm, to add to the  Car version.  Over on Fordbarn.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

RICH MUISE

If needed, www.tanksinc.com has some great troubleshooting info as well as parts, tech info, etc.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Dr. Bob Woods

The Ranchero tank is different from others.  This is what it looks like.  It is 9" from where the sender mounts to the bottom of the tank.  The OD of attachment ring is slightly less than 2.75" and the ID is about 2.135".
Ranchero fuel tank.jpg

Clearly, the sender in my Ranchero is not an original.  It won't go to the bottom.  When I had the wire connected with the power off, it seemed to have the correct resistance ranging from about 2 to 71 Ohms.  But when I test it disconnected, the Ohms didn't seem to vary linearly and went to a maximum of 92 Ohms.
Ranchero fuel sender.jpg

I am going to open the cover to the sensor, and if I can get that working well, I will extend the float to go all the way to the bottom.  However, I would really like to buy a new one. Any ideas?

Bob Woods
817 996 0707
57 T-bird
57 Ranchero

hiball3985

Keep in mind the arm also has a dog leg in it to offset the float so it doesn't hit the side
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

abe_lugo

Here are pics of an arm. But also this guy was trying to make some repop units and could not do it.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190794

Dr. Bob Woods

The sender in my Ranchero was too short to measure below about 40 percent.  I added some length to it, but the sensor itself didn't work.  I bought a new sender that also had a short arm and I added 3" to the arm so it had a full range of motion from the bottom to the top of the tank.  I measured the ohms at different positions and connected it to the fuel gauge to see the display and positioned the float at different levels outside of the tank.  It seemed perfect.

However, the float just barely floated or went to the bottom even with 30% of fuel height.  I added a second float to try to help it float better, but it still wouldn't measure the 30% of fuel in the tank.  When I added 5 more gallons, I did get a reading on the gauge, although it wasn't accurate or is only measuring to the top of the float.  I'm a little confused on why it is not working properly.  Now at least I will know when I reach 30% of fuel in the tank.

Would someone please post a photo of an original 57 Ranchero fuel sender.

Dual float calibration.jpg
57 T-bird
57 Ranchero

lalessi1

I don't have a Ranchero sender but I have bought a couple of after market senders that weren't worth a dime. I finally wound up with a Tanks Inc. universal sender that works as advertised but I put it in an aftermarket non-stock tank. FYI there is a device called a MeterMatch that lets you adjust everything...

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=748/mode=prod/prd748.htm
Lynn

hiball3985

Just a thought but I think the dual float will interfere with the top of the tank because of the tank design and you won't get a FULL reading. I'll try to get you a picture later this morning, still dark and cold here.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

abe_lugo

I happened across a junkyard 57 ranchero and made it a point to remove the sender.
I'll get pics of the sender in a bit. I'll be matching the arm to a replacement regular sender and see if it works.

Either way you'll get pics later today.

FYI, there is also a particular "clocking" or angle the whole sender should go at. I took a picture of the sender before I removed it so I can save that info as well.

I have a wonk-a-do aftermarket set up in my wagon. Been wanting to update it with an original style sender.

hiball3985

ABE, the sender has a little tab on it and a matching notch in the tank, it can only be clocked one way.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

hope this helps, that may not be the original float. I noticed the upward angle your arm shows at FULL in your picture, mine is exactly horizontal .
sender.jpg
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

abe_lugo

Here is a comparison.  I used the new repop on my hardtop and it works well.

You can see the arms is slightly longer and the notch is in a different spot, in. If you were to modify this car version one to work on a ranchero.
BB7A48E3-6882-494C-B70D-E8BF67A655A2.jpegA850E28E-9243-4781-B17D-E861E797ABCD.jpeg912CC747-3565-4B36-B135-30992999054A.jpegAEC1F35C-F80D-492B-A451-F1D3BD9F16C8.jpeg912CC747-3565-4B36-B135-30992999054A.jpegA850E28E-9243-4781-B17D-E861E797ABCD.jpeg     

KYBlueOval

I believe I have two senders I removed from two Ranchero/Wagon gas tanks. I'm out of town right now, should be back home in a couple of days. I have no knowledge as to the condition of these two senders, but I know I have no use for them, so Dr. Bob they are your if you want them. When I return, and get them in my hands, I'll send you a PM. I expect that will be Thursday or Friday.
John

Dr. Bob Woods

John, I will be happy to pay shipping and extra for them and will report the findings here.

Abe, The hardtop has a symmetric tank that is not as deep as the Ranchero.  The Ranchero has a thin middle section where the spare tire goes with deeper side saddle on the left side (see first post).  It is 9" deep under the mount for the sender.  A standard level sensor will not go deep enough to measure when you are out of fuel.  It will probably say your empty when you are at half a tank.

Jim, I put safety wire to hold the float at the "full" position and rotated the sender back and forth.  It clears both sides.  Could you measure the distance from the pivot point of the arm to the center of the float on your sender?  Unless the arm has more than 50 to 55 degrees of rotation, then the float won't go low enough to measure empty unless the arms are about 9" from the pivot point at the sensor to the center of the float.

-Bob
57 T-bird
57 Ranchero