News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel gauge sender in tank

Started by Dr. Bob Woods, 2023-01-05 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

The pivot point to the center of the float is 7". In the empty position from the mounting flange to the bottom of the float is 8.25" if that helps any?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

abe_lugo

See if these help.

0FAA05B4-B71D-4AC4-87E9-9407C28BC2B4.jpeg2A0BD63F-8318-48C8-BCCD-ECDB902D406C.jpeg 
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

KYBlueOval

Dr. Bob, here are the Ranchero gas gauge sender parts that I have. They are not as complete as I recalled. They are yours if you want them. If you need only one of the lock rings, I'll keep the others, let me know please.
 If you want them,send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll get them on their way.
John

Dr. Bob Woods

Jim and Abe,

It looks like they have just taken a common sender and bent the shaft down so it will reach close to the bottom.  That will let you know when you are getting close to empty, but it will show full at about 3/4 of a tank.  I guess it is more important to know when you are close to empty instead of full.

John,

Your photos tell the story.  If you would measure the distance from the pivot point of the arm to the center of the float, that will tell me what I need to know.  I don't think you will need to mail them to me.

-Bob Woods
57 T-bird
57 Ranchero
57 hardtop converted to a "Car Couch"

KYBlueOval

Bob, I'll take measurements with photos tomorrow and post them.
John

KYBlueOval

Dr. Bob.........Here are some photos, I hope they help. If the photos are not what you want/need please tell me and I'll try again. I get to Ft.Worth frequently and I can bring these parts with me on the next visit, if you wish.

Dr. Bob Woods

John,

Thanks for the photos.  I think those might not be original senders.  As I said before, if the arm is that short it can't possibly measure from empty to full.  You will be about a 1/4 of a tank off one way or the other.

You are welcome to stop by and see my collection the next time you are in Ft. Worth.

-Bob Woods
57 T-bird
57 Ranchero
57 hardtop converted to a "Car Couch"

hiball3985

I guess you missed post#15  :001:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2023-03-18 04:37I guess you missed post#15  :001:
Well, I see that you can't sleep........It's 20 minutes to three in Calif.!

KYBlueOval

Bob........They might be original. The measurements that "highball 3985" posted in post #15 , I believe match up to to my measurements in regards to the arm length.
I should add, that both of these old ,used senders are identical down to the smallest detail. One came from my Ranchero, which has been a local car for 30+ years, and the other came from a Ranchero parts car I bought in Dallas and hauled back to Kentucky. It's possible that both cars had identical aftermarket senders, and it's possible they are original equipment. I lean towards the pair being original, but readily admit, I don't know.
John

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2023-03-18 04:44Well, I see that you can't sleep........It's 20 minutes to three in Calif.!
Another sleepless night, one of many lately :005: Your senders look original to me. I think the originals had a number on the mounting flange, I'll have to look again..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Bob, I have a suggestion on where to get the correct answer to your sender issue. Call Jerry Miller Restorations in Springdale Arkansas (479-750-1681). They do 100 point '57-'59 Ford restorations as well as sell parts, and have done several Rancheros. Jerry's son Terry usually answers the phone.
He is very knowledgeable and willing to share the information, and might have the answer to your question and possibly the sender you need.
John