News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Courier rehab

Started by xonewm, 2023-03-20 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic

xonewm

Got my second 57 recently so figured I should learn to post.
I traded for a 57 Country Sedan years ago and worked on it as $$ and time permitted.
I recently purchased a 57 Courier from Craigslist, sight unseen. PO's abandoned project.
Came with lots of extra parts.

Gonna take awhile. Lots of serious rust.
A man with an opinion unhampered by facts.

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you've got a good start on it. That should keep you out of trouble for a while, lol. I miss doing where you're at now........very rewarding, feel-good project.., And, you've got the posting, even with pics, figured out! Lots of good help/advcise on this forum. What part of the world do you live? Does that Courier have glass on both sides? I understand they were available no glass, one side or two.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

xonewm

Thanks Rich.
Glad to be a member. Been way busy trying to make room in my garage. Going to need a lot more bodywork than I'm qualified to do.

The Courier has glass on both sides. I really don't know the story about that. The previous owner thinks it was a Weyerhauser fleet vehicle and the glass was a Weyerhauser modification. One of my neighbors swears he watched a video indicating the glass was a very rare option. He's trying to run down where he got that impression/information.
I was planning in the distant future to weld in sheet metal. However, if it was an option I may replace the glass instead. It appears to be safety glass in a rubber "grommet".

I live in Ryderwood, Washington.

Since you're here, where's the info on setting up an avatar?

mustang6984

Quote from: xonewm on 2023-03-20 19:59I was planning in the distant future to weld in sheet metal. However, if it was an option I may replace the glass instead. It appears to be safety glass in a rubber "grommet".

I live in Ryderwood, Washington.

We need to talk. I have a Courier parts car with solid panels. I'm in MO now, (was in WA for 48 years). I was trying to decide if keeping the panels was worth taking them out or not. Guess I know the answer. You can have them for the same price I paid for the car...ZIP! (Thanks Gary!)
Let me know if you are interested and we'll go from there.
Later...Hugh
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

xonewm, just curious which version of the rear tailgate lift support you have. I have owned 2 57 Sedan Deliveries, and both mine had the passenger side "track and roller" style, that mounts to the side of the body,but I have also seen some that had a drivers side overcenter pivot bar that mounts to to floor. No idea if the variation was based on which assembly plant the vehicle was built in, or a running change. I THINK the track and roller was the earlier style, as I have seen a couple of 58 SDs with the over center style.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

xonewm

Mine has the drivers side over-center pivot bar mounted to the floor. As noted on the photo, the hook on one end of the "retention" spring broke off.
I was impressed that the mechanism was still functional and supports the hatch.

xonewm

mustang6984(Hugh),

I'm interested but not sure it's practical. Missouri is more than 2000 miles away from Washington. Long way round trip!

mustang6984

Quote from: xonewm on 2023-04-01 19:42mustang6984(Hugh),

I'm interested but not sure it's practical. Missouri is more than 2000 miles away from Washington. Long way round trip!

LOL!!! Trust me (as others will verify) NO ONE knows more than I about the trip from WA state to Missouri...all 2100 miles of it.
Somewhere in here is the history of my move from Port Angeles WA to Carr Lane MO.

Where in WA are you? We might be able to shop the panels. Finding a pair will be nigh impossible. I have two Couriers of my own plus this parts car.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

I see where you already said you were in Ryderwood. Been there more than a few times. I worked out of Olympia for 44 years. Part of that time doing contract work for the courts and prosecutors in Thurston.
You are 2098 miles from my driveway. We might be able to get Fed-Ex to ship them. As I stated, your price for them is free...so your cost would be the shipping.
I'll send you a P/M with my phone number.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

xonewm

I picked up a 3 speed shifter at PIR swapmeet. Pretty sure it's an Autolite for an early Mustang.
Rebuild parts are available for it, however it appears something is missing.
Looking at pictures on the internet I see what appears to be a retaining spring in two lower holes. Anybody know what this is for?
Also, there don't appear to be any shift stops which appears wrong.
My Shifter.jpgInternet Shifter.jpg 

xonewm

Sorry about the double pix. Still learning to use the Forum. :sign4:

mustang6984

On a 4-speed those springs keep it out of the rail for reverse...forcing you to really WANT to go into reverse. Maybe the same then for the three speed?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

xonewm

Since it's the same "rail" as first, I don't see how it would work. Not sayin' I know anything about shifter construcltion.
Big spring on the other side differentiates 1st/reverse from 2nd/3rd.

mustang6984

Oh heck...yea. I remember now...(been 52 years since I had the T-85 w/floor shifter in mine). The spring jumps the shifter from 1st over to the rail for 2nd & 3rd. Keeps you from hitting reverse by accident. DUH! I should have remembered right off. Sorry!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

It should have nylon/what ever?? things that go into that hole, it may be the same on the other side, I can't remember :001:My Shifter.jpg
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang