News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Courier rehab

Started by xonewm, 2023-03-20 19:31

Previous topic - Next topic

xonewm

Correct. There s/b a rubber grommet and metal button on each side. Only one button remained in mine. The rubber had deteriorated to black goo.
Repair parts are available on NPD! I will be ordering today.
A man with an opinion unhampered by facts.

hiball3985

Thats it, thanks it helps me refresh my old memory..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Fairlane62

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2023-04-07 09:52It should have nylon/what ever?? things that go into that hole, it may be the same on the other side, I can't remember :001:My Shifter.jpg
They were little metal cup shaped buttons with springs underneath.  Ford called them trunions.  They keep the shifter tight so it doesn't rattle.  Scott Drake sells a rebuild kit that includes the trunions, springs, shoulder bolts, and insulators, which are the rubber bushings around the two shoulder bolts that attach the shift handle.  They list it for a four speed shifter but its the same parts for three speed.

xonewm

Today I learned the double threaded(inside & outside) nuts holding the body mounts to the frame can only be hand tight. Learned that after running one all the way through when "snugging" it up.
The cup washer on the right is the example of why not to tighten them down.

xonewm

Welded the driver side toe board; started on the passenger side after getting all the mounts in for the passenger cabin.
It looks as if the best sequence of repair is to get both toe boards in, install the full width donor floor panel(runs from toe boards to rear foot wells) with the body mounts, then weld the toe boards to the floor patch panel.
All in the hope of keeping the firewall in position. The rocker panels are completely rusted out as is part of the roof behind the windshield.
I plan to patch the kick panels before attacking the rocker panels.

KYBlueOval

FYI Concours Parts sell the individual body mount parts.

In looking the photo in your last post, it appears to me that your '57, has a '58 dash, or '58 dash parts. Just an observation, not a criticism.
John

Ford Blue blood

I might be wrong in my remembering...If I remember correctly the toe boards lap over the floor boards and the door jamb inner structure laps over both....again, been a couple of days since I was at that stage and don't have a good photo to help my brain...
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

Found a picture, look very carefully at the little red circle and you can see the toe over lapping the floor.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

xonewm

John, what's the difference with a '58 dash. The fascia on the instrument panel, and radio/clock delete were more basic than my Country Sedan. I thought it was because this was a Courier.

But you are right; this was a complete extra padded dash. The one matching the Courier was gutted so I used this one.
The heater box is much simpler/smaller too.

Willie

xonewm

Interesting. It does look as if your toe boards overlap the floor.
However, on mine and the donor floor, the floor overlaps the toe boards.
I have no idea what model the donor floor is from. All the body mount holes are in the right place and it fit properly when test fit over the cancer ridden toe boards.

Willie

KYBlueOval

Quote from: xonewm on 2023-04-12 10:34John, what's the difference with a '58 dash. The fascia on the instrument panel, and radio/clock delete were more basic than my Country Sedan. I thought it was because this was a Courier.

But you are right; this was a complete extra padded dash. The one matching the Courier was gutted so I used this one.
The heater box is much simpler/smaller too.

Willie
What caught my eye in the photo is the two chrome bezels on either side of the steering column. The one on the left holds the ignition switch etc.
At the top of that left bezel there is a plastic insert that says   Ignition, Lights Vent. On '57's the plastic is Black with white letters. On '58's it is White with black letters.
Can't see the speedometer, but if it has a White background, I believe it is from a '58 as a '57 has a black speedometer background.
If you decide to change it to the '57 style, you need to know that it is not as simple as changing the plastic inserts. The chrome bezel and the backing plate for the chrome bezel must be changed, as they are different from the'57s.
If you decide to make the swap,I believe I have the '57 pieces you would need, as well as a speedometer......And I would be interested in the'58 bezels etc., that you have.
John

terry_208

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2023-04-12 08:34Found a picture, look very carefully at the little red circle and you can see the toe over lapping the floor.....

I lapped the floor over the toe board.  My thinking was that in the rain, water might be forced into the seam.  I believe that's how my sedan was built.
Terry

Ford Blue blood

The comparison of the donor to what my Ranchero had is really interesting?  The donor is clearly floor over the toe and my Ranchero is clearly (some what) toe over floor.  Given there were a butt load of factories with their own stamping and assembly lines might be just a difference in which shop....doubt it makes any difference though.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

X2.......I'm with Bill......doubt it makes a difference. The panels to be concerned with are ones that affect outside panel fitment.
With that said, one place to pay particular attention is the outer rockers. They need to be slightly angled down to the outside. This is due to the design of the doors is to pass water through and out on top of the rockers. On my car, my left rocker apparently is too far forward by 1/8". I would like to move my fender back a tad, but I can't because the lower part of the fender is already up against the rocker. I can fix this when I feel like removing the front fender.....not sure I will.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

xonewm

Bill,
 I found it interesting that the assembly lines weren't more standardized for such a major component. Ease/time for construction seems important.
But I do agree it doesn't matter either way. I'm not capable or interested in concours construction, I just want to drive it.

Willie