News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Comparrison of a Ranch Wagon and Del Rio

Started by Rangepony69, 2023-04-23 11:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangepony69

Can someone give me a tutorial on the differences in a 57 Del Rio and a Ranch Wagon? I have people call my car both and I can't find anything definitive on the web about it.

Many thanks

RICH MUISE

A Del Rio owner will give you more details, but I was talking to a guy yesterday who said he has "a Ranchwagon" and I commented I'd love to have one or a Del Rio. He replied that his Ranchwagon was a Del Rio. Technically, I'm not sure if both names are used with a Del Rio, but it definitely is a higher trim version of the Ranchwagon. Yeah, I know, I'm just stating the obvious.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

I wondered if it was just a trim package. Were any of the wagons in '57 9 passenger wagons...and maybe that option was only available in one of the trim offerings?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

What is your body style number? A "Tudor Ranch Wagon" is 59A. 59B is for a Tudor Ranch Wagon Del Rio". I believe the "Del Rio" has the gold trim and the regular Ranch Wagon has the standard Custom trim. Same as the difference between the Custom and the Custom 300. The interior is also probably upgraded in the same way as well.

https://57fordsforever.com/59a-ranch-wagon-tudor/
https://57fordsforever.com/59b-ranch-wagon-tudor-300-trim/
Lynn

mustang6984

Thanks Lynn.I am guessing the 500 trim set-up was never applied to the wagons? Other than the gold insert.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

abe_lugo

I dont think you can get 500 trim level in any of them as the wheelbase is the shorter one for all the wagons.

My country sedan has the gold insert spears trim but it not a 500 trim level. Atleast the interior is not.

Also you might not be able to get 9 passenger option in a 2 door. It would be near impossible to get all the way to the back third row seat.

I have seen some with all power windows stock.
The Squire wood trim is the higher of all of them, I would think a squire with full power would be the most expensive.

I dont think I have seen a 2 door wagon, either Del Rio or Ranch with any wood trim. 

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

mustang6984

I was not aware that the Ranch and Del Rio were 2-door only. Up until I bought the Fairlane my total knowledge re: '57 Fords was wrapped around the Couriers. That was all I had, and those I hadn't touched in over 40 years due to life.
So all these questions I have...well...education for me. LOL!!! Thanks!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

yes on most that has been said above. All 2 dr 57 wagons are designated 'Ranch Wagon' ( except Courier SD obviously). The 'Del Rio' was never actually placed on the car, only on paper. Del Rios also have 'Ranch Wagon' scripts, but they are different from the normal Ranch wagon. Base model RW has emblems on front fender, DR has 'Ranch Wagon' on rear quarter panel. because of the different crown of those areas those scripts are not interchangeable. I believe they also do have a different stud pattern.
No such thing as a 9 seater 2dr wgn.( except dealer option maybe)
the base model RW has a straight ss trim on rear quarters only. The DR usually has twin swept 300 trim with anodized gold inserts. I have seen several Del Rios with only single swept stainless (same on Rancheros) sans gold trim but have never been able to confirm if these were available at a certain point of the model year, from certain factories, or if these were owner modifications done later on.
I believe there is no official Ford trim code variant for these 2 different trim styles ( swept trim w/ or w/o anodized gold inserts).

There are also 4dr wagons that have single or dual swept trim and they maybe could be separate Custom and Custom 300 trim level, but no straight base model ss trim on 4dr wgns.

On a Ford sales person educational sheet, the DR is compared to Che**ies 210 wgn. The Country Squire is said to have no equivalent in GM's cheapest. brochure says no need for a Nomad equivalent, because they are a very low sales volume and no Ford customer demand. OF course these were FoMoCo sales strategies in the day.

DRs were available single tone or two tone, as were base model RW. Obviously the paint scheme is different according to ss trim.
If any RW has been customized and emblems cleaned off, the easiest way to spot a real DR  ( except for the VIN plate of course, as Lynn suggested) is to look inside the rear quarters. if you see any script holes filled in, it was a DR originally. There were different interior trim styles anyways(cloth/vinyl), available on both DR and RW. Also the safety package 'padded dashboard' was optional ( along with padded sun visors).
I have a VERY early ( ie mid 1956) parts book, that states the 9pssgr 4dr Country Sedan and 8pssgr Country Squire being of 'Fairlane 500' trim level, which of course must be an early sales management hickup. ALL wagons have the shorter Custom wheel base, no matter if 2 or 4dr. Hope this helps. :002:

mustang6984

Thanks Gunther! A wealth of knowledge! Appreciate it!  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

"I have seen several Del Rios with only single swept stainless (same on Rancheros) sans gold trim but have never been able to confirm if these were available at a certain point of the model year, from certain factories, or if these were owner modifications done later on."

Gunter in the "Custom and Custom 300" sales brochure there is an illustration "More fun...with Ford Power Assists and Air Conditioning" on a Custom 300 that has the full length trim without the "gold" inserts. That leads me to believe that at first the Custom 300s were not going to have the "Fairlane" style trim. At some point after production had started there was a marketing change to enhance there appeal. I have seen Rancheros with the single chrome full length trim as well.
Lynn

Rangepony69

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2023-04-23 15:53What is your body style number? A "Tudor Ranch Wagon" is 59A. 59B is for a Tudor Ranch Wagon Del Rio". I believe the "Del Rio" has the gold trim and the regular Ranch Wagon has the standard Custom trim. Same as the difference between the Custom and the Custom 300. The interior is also probably upgraded in the same way as well.

https://57fordsforever.com/59a-ranch-wagon-tudor/
https://57fordsforever.com/59b-ranch-wagon-tudor-300-trim/

That is exactly what I needed....my code is 59A so I'm a Ranch Wagon....car is total custom so it was hard to really see the original configuration.

Many thanks!

mustang6984

Can we talk you out of a pic of your car? Puhleeze!  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

That is interesting, Lynn! I have seen these simple swept trim '300(?)' models in brochures as well. your theory goes together well with the misinterpretation of the 'Fairlane 500' 4dr wagon models, that I mentioned. It sounds a lot like much of that would have come from the sales department, arranging and changing model lines during the actual model year.

x2 with Hugh, pics would be great !

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2023-04-24 10:18Gunter in the "Custom and Custom 300" sales brochure there is an illustration "More fun...with Ford Power Assists and Air Conditioning" on a Custom 300 that has the full length trim without the "gold" inserts. That leads me to believe that at first the Custom 300s were not going to have the "Fairlane" style trim. At some point after production had started there was a marketing change to enhance there appeal. I have seen Rancheros with the single chrome full length trim as well.

dgasman

The Del Rio has the side trim and also a different interior. A little more fancy.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

mustang6984

Oh MY! Looks like it is coming along. Love that green too!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker