News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 fairlane 500 Convertible Build

Started by Stidham13, 2023-05-06 12:54

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Quote from: Stidham13 on 2023-05-08 23:14Well I'll start by saying I won't be using the continental kit. 
Sent you a P/M.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Stidham13

Well Rich you may make me eat my words. I was sitting in a waiting room today bored on my phone when I found an article online. Someone has shoehorned a coyote into an original 57 frame. They used a really odd looking front sump oil pan a custom made set of headers that hugged the block and notched the frame at the alternator for clearance.  There were several pictures and it looked very tight. The oil pan had bat wings sticking out the sides I'm assuming in order to have enough capacity. Looks like it can be done just doesn't look like much fun. I never even put a tape measure to it but I wanted a more modern coil over suspension from the beginning.

One thing I didn't mention before I didn't have to do anything to the firewall but the transmission tunnel has to be substantially larger to accommodate the 10R80 transmission. No way use the original front bench seat.

RICH MUISE

Yeah, 4.6 users are fortunate in that Ford used the motors in so many vehicles, Ford parts, available from different donors, actually make the 4.6 almost bolt-in....front sump oil pan from 93-98 Continental, early 0's Mustang motor mounts,Crown Vic trans mount and thermostat housing, etc. Not so with the Coyote motors, either way you go, you've got your work cut out for ya. It's going to be so awesome when your finished though, you won't have any regrets.
Availability of parts for your 5.0 is bound to be way better than at least the dohc version of the 4.6. They are already a lot harder to find than 10 years ago.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe