News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Plumbing for Power steering AND hydro boost

Started by terry_208, 2023-07-03 12:29

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I am ready to install both the hydro boost and power steering on my 57. Does anyone know the og plumbing from the pump to the control valve?  I am using a ps system from a 62-64 Galaxie which should be the same as the 57. Not the hose routing, just which is the pressure and which is the return ports. I also need to know which ports on the valve go to which ports on the assist cylinder.  I spoke with Hugh, Mustang69**, I'll send him a picture and he will post it in a little while.

I appreciate everyone's help.
Terry

mustang6984

Here is Terry's pic of his unit he was speaking of above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

Any help identifying the ports and where to connect the lines is greatly appreciated.  For example 1 supply, 2 return 3 to A, 4 to B.
Terry

RICH MUISE

Can't help with the ports on YOUR system, it's different from mine. You'll probably need to include the hydroboost in your "where do the lines go", and consider the fact you'll have TWO return lines to the reservoir.....one from the hydroboost, and one from the power steering box?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

I have/had the plumbing bookmarked but the image is now "not available".  John, aka KYBlueOval, had posted a picture of with things marked/labeled.  https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=7728.msg67445#msg67445
Terry

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

If I've done this correctly, here is a link to the plumbing of a hydroboost posted by Rich.  https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=9090.msg90205#msg90205.  This helps a lot.  I searched for hours to locate this.

I cannot locate the post by the member using the power steering  system from a full sized 64.  I believe it is the same member with the 64 column and wheel. Does anyone know of whom I am referencing?  Could it be Gasman826 here?  https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=9117.msg90489#msg90489
Terry

gasman826

I put '64 Galaxie PS on the Raunch Wagon...box, pitman, center link, cylinder, valve, and column.  The booster and master were from a '97 Mustang GT.  I used an aftermarket bearing style idler arm.

RICH MUISE

Terry, I hadn't responded to your questions because my steering setup is different, and I had no idea whether or not the plumbing was the same. I'm glad you found the info Gary and I posted for John.....hope it helps a little. Also, I added the link you found to my "topics" list on my old build thread, so thanks for that as well.

1930artdeco

MY PS set up is like this-I 'think' I got it looking at the images in the manual. The pressure hose is the larger fitting and goes into #2 As that is the only one it fits. There return line is the #1 and is a much more flexible line with no crimped on ends-well one end. The hoses from the unit to the ram are straight forward and don't cross over each other. Hope this is what you needed.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

terry_208

Quote from: gasman826 on 2023-07-07 08:41I put '64 Galaxie PS on the Raunch Wagon...box, pitman, center link, cylinder, valve, and column.  The booster and master were from a '97 Mustang GT.  I used an aftermarket bearing style idler arm.

Do you have a picture or pictures of the plumbing to and from the control valve?  My control valve has different sized lines, input/output.  Iam trying to figure out which is the supply as well as the routing.

Rich, I believe we have the same hydroboost or very similar.

1930artdeco, my steering system is a conglomeration of 62-64 Galaxie ps steering box/column, control valve/cylinder connected to 74 Maverick hubs, for disk brakes.  The pump and serpentine system 88 f150.  My hydroboost is 99 Mustang GT.  The fluid flows:  pump to hydroboost to control  valve to cylinder back to control valve and back to the pump.  There's also a return from the hydroboost to the pump.

My main problem is/has been to figure out which ports connect to the others. I believe my control valve has 3/8" and a 3/16" ports. 

I appreciate the responses and help.
Terry

gasman826

When I converted to a 1996 351W, I used the '96 PS pump (plastic pulley) and installed the '97 Mustang GT booster...many metric fittings so custom hoses.  I have just a couple of control valve pictures.  The bottom two valve hoses go to the cylinder.  The upper two valve hoses are different sizes...large to the pressure side of the booster (next to the booster return port) and smaller is the return line going to cooler (recommended) and reservoir.  The single booster port goes to the PS pump pressure port.

I needed the '62-'64 column with three drive selections for the AOD transmission.  I was surprised how much the aftermarket supported the newer column...gear indicator, turn signal switch, rag joint, steering wheel, bearing, etc. 

RICH MUISE

Terry. the fittings on the Hydroboost are Metric.........don't know about your steering stuff. Any fittings/adapters you will need can be had at www.purechoicemotorsports.com . They are in Lake Havasu, Az. Been there! Nice operation....father and son, both very knowledgeable. Or.......if you have a hydraulic hose company in your area, they probably have whatever you'll need also.

terry_208

Thank you, gentlemen!  I do believe you've answered my questions.  On Monday I'll go to a local supplier, about 2 miles from my place, to have hoses made.  I've already had them size the ports so that part has been accomplished.

If a ps fluid cooler is recommended, that must be the cooler located infront of the radiators of almost all the newer, 20-30 year old, cars.
Terry

RICH MUISE

That's where I put mine.....in front of the A/C condenser actually.