News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

timing ?

Started by glenmichael, 2023-07-12 08:50

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, After the 57 came out to play after Winter storage, (1983 460 duraspark 2), I installed a new Edelbrock 750, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. The car is miss firing. NO spark to #1? after checking all the parts that I replaced still no spark to #1. So new Module, New Coil. Now Intermitted spark to #1,2,5,7 cylinders, full spark to #3,4,6,8 cylinders. Distributor? What am I missing besides spark???? Thanks

CobraJoe

I'm not a big fan of the DuraSpark system, but it Sounds like maybe the rotor is too short and is not reaching the contacts inside of the distributer cap or possibly not the correct "large" cap  to prevent cross-fire?
Also check that the DuraSpark box is getting 9.5V as it is fed by the resistor wire. I would also verify the grommet color of the box to be sure it is the same color as your original.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

glenmichael

Thank you, yes, it is the Blue Grommet Box, I have Two new caps, Two new rotors plus tried the old ones, same results, with the timing light on each individual wire all Three tries same results, intermittent spark #1257 and full spark on #3468. Yesterday just Dazed and Confused, decided to have a BEER and seek help Today!

glenmichael

Just checked the Ballast Resister the voltage is good, other than the electrical wires I think the pick-up assembly is the only thing I haven't changed. Still Confused, good thing the 57 is just a toy to play with but I would like to make some noise and smoke some tires!!! I won't give up.

Ford Blue blood

One thing is the carb.  I know, how does the carb effect spark?  No idea but of all the things you have changed the carb is the one item you haven't.  I always go back to "what's the last thing I did before the problem happened?".

Got a DuraSpark story.  Put a DuraSpark in the 36 in 1987.  Over the years all the "stuff" has run out of the box and left a puddle on the frame just below where it is mounted.  So, decided to replace it before a failure occurred on the road.  New box matched the old perfect.  Car ran the same....almost!  Going down the road it would shut off every once in a while, fire right back up and run fine.  Then shut off again, fire right back up and run fine.  Only thing that was changed before the "shut offs" occurred was the box.  Put the old one back in and it hasn't missed a lick since, that was three years ago.  Go figure......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

59meteor

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2023-07-13 08:49One thing is the carb.  I know, how does the carb effect spark?  No idea but of all the things you have changed the carb is the one item you haven't.  I always go back to "what's the last thing I did before the problem happened?".

Got a DuraSpark story.  Put a DuraSpark in the 36 in 1987.  Over the years all the "stuff" has run out of the box and left a puddle on the frame just below where it is mounted.  So, decided to replace it before a failure occurred on the road.  New box matched the old perfect.  Car ran the same....almost!  Going down the road it would shut off every once in a while, fire right back up and run fine.  Then shut off again, fire right back up and run fine.  Only thing that was changed before the "shut offs" occurred was the box.  Put the old one back in and it hasn't missed a lick since, that was three years ago.  Go figure......
I have a factory Duraspark distributor and "blue" module on my 59s FE 428 CJ, has been working great for over 3 years, and have used Durasparks in several other older Fords, including my Fairmont drag car, which ran high 9 second 1/4 mile ETs , using a junkyard Duraspark truck distributor, with a MSD box. But when I do use a Duraspark module, I always use a genuine Motorcraft Duraspark module,that I remove from vehicles in wrecking yards, rather than some cheap aftermarket new auto parts module. In over 30 years of using Durasparks, I have never had a failure of any kind, with either the distributor or the OE ignition module.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, the thing with electrical and ignition, it NEVER went bad before, checked the pickup with the ohm meter between the orange wire and purple wire there should be 400-800 ohms I had 630 ohms, Good, between orange and ground, between purple and ground should be 70,000 ohms, the meter didn't move, BINGO!!! Installed new magnetic pickup assembly and I have full spark to all cylinders!!! Never Say Never!!! Had to stop for a little liquid refreshment. Tomorrow I will reset the Timing and hopefully lay a little rubber on the pavement. Just an update, Frustrating but man I love Hot Roding Cars. Good Night and Sweet Dreams.

Fairlane62

It appears that the intermittent spark occurred after you added the new pickup.  Most of the replacement parts for "vintage" systems like Duraspark and GM HEI are now manufactured overseas even when the box says Autolite or AC.  I have run Duraspark on many cars, including race cars and had minimal problems with the original Ford equipment but I have had occasional problems with the newer replacement parts.

James

glenmichael

The pickup assembly within the Distributor was the last item I checked regarding the intermittent spark to 4 of the cylinders, I have never had one go bad, this one was original to the motor with 56,000 miles on it. I have read they should last over 100,000 miles!!!

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, Just a couple pictures from yesterday, the car has been running good since the tune-up and timing! Hope Everyone out there is well..

CobraJoe

Good to hear; enjoy!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Fairlane62

Quote from: glenmichael on 2023-08-27 08:30Hello Everyone, Just a couple pictures from yesterday, the car has been running good since the tune-up and timing! Hope Everyone out there is well..

Glad to see you got it running good but did you get to lay some rubber???

glenmichael

Good Morning everyone! Took the 57 out for maybe the last drive yesterday before it goes into storage November 1. Nice day the color in the trees are looking good.IMG_1651.jpg

glenmichael

And Yes, I did leave some rubber on the pavement, but this is what happens when one of the guys your Crusin with says " Step aside son and let me show you how it's Done."IMG_1655.jpg

gasman826