News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My "Project 'Upgrades'"

Started by lalessi1, 2023-08-09 16:42

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

For the next installment... I had a Spectre Performance Air Cleaner feeding cowl air to my carburetor at one time but I changed that arrangement when I went to EFI. I didn't like the filter element. I had been thinking about reviving the cold air idea so I built a new base that would accept a conventional element... Then I remembered something I wanted to do since I was a kid.... I will let the pics speak for themselves. The air cleaner has about 1/2" clearance to the hood and the wing nut hit the hood. I wound up using a barrel nut.
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2023-08-11 16:33...I had a Spectre Performance Air Cleaner ...
Could you please post a link or a clue to where you got that air cleaner? Got tired of searching for that one & not finding it in their dozens of products.

lalessi1

This as close as you can come to what I have... I bought the "fabricator series" a few years ago, and it had the second snorkel as an attachment, and it was in raw aluminum. It is not available any more. I called Spectre because I can't find the second snorkel (as of now), that is what they told me.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-98638?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuNemBhCBARIsADp74QQt3JGFcbh0a3_RNuvq20Ogfqn2w991Lt1iy8BNsU54glbsOGWy5-EaAoYkEALw_wcB

The air cleaner uses a Very thin element with some kind of "cotton" filter medium that is very thin and only lasted a few hundred miles.

PM me and I will be happy to help with pics or.....
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2023-08-11 19:31This as close as you can come to what I have...
Thanks! Don't think I want to spend that kind of money for an air cleaner. Yikes!

mustang6984

Quote from: Tom S on 2023-08-11 19:40Thanks! Don't think I want to spend that kind of money for an air cleaner. Yikes!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                    Yea...me either! WHEW!   :glasses12:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

The one I bought was less than half of that... before Covid.
Lynn

lalessi1

Well I got the valve covers with the stickers on installed today. I am very pleased with how they turned out. Now the "Thunderbird V8" emblem matches what's under the hood.
Lynn

mustang6984

Looks sharp! Nice work!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

glenmichael

Absolutely Beautiful, Thank you for sharing, extremely clean ..

djfordmanjack

NICE ! really liking the finish on your intake manifold. Is that some kind of wrinkle paint or just the natural cast aluminium?

lalessi1

Nah, just plain old aluminum....
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Well since things are slow I thought I post a couple more "improvements". I saw cos's post in "kinda slow" so .... Around these parts we don't have to prepare for winter and now I am not sure it will even get cold. We have experienced RECORD heat and an extreme drought for the past 100 days and outside activity has been non existent. "Fall" is a little more accommodating so car show activity picks up through December. Anyway I went to a show a couple of weeks ago and I noticed my tail light lenses were VERY faded. I bought them from Dennis Carpenter 12 years ago. I always wanted back up lights on my car so I decided to get new lenses while they were still available. I also decided the car was a little high in the back so I went back to the 2" lowering blocks instead of the 1" ones I have been running for a while. (Now the tires are almost rubbing on the traction bars, so I have some new issues to resolve. So Its "kinda slow"
Lynn