News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

valve covers

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2023-11-21 10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

just a after thought,    talking about all  the work,  show about  sand blasting and  polishing out the high spots,  ribs and logal?      thanks   jerry

Ecode70D

Jerry
I can not reach you by that email.  Please check it and post it again.
Jay

Also I wish everyone on our site a  Happy Thanksgiving and be safe.

geraldchainsaw

hi Jay,  don't know what to tell ya,  you did try clicking on my name?,  or, why not post on my posting,  reply?, never had this  problem before. or maybe your missing the w in my email address,    jerrywmalcolm@aol.com,  give it another try,       jerry 

rmk57

Quote from: 57chero on 2023-11-22 10:56I came across a pair a while back, cleaned them up and bought a set of adapters to put y-block valve covers on a sbf, put them on my Ranchero with a 351W fools a few people at car shows that aren't that familiar with y-blocks.

I've seen the finned t-bird covers on a sbc once in a while. Harder to spot. I've never said anything about it to the owners, but I wouldn't mind telling them the rocker covers are worth more than the engine.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Insult to the valve covers to be seen on that sort of junk.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

rmk57

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

yes I Did understand, but don't want to comply... :003:  :deadhorse:

geraldchainsaw

ok,  & now  back to the subject.       what about the sand blasting sides,  & polishing out the  ribs and logal? any  thoughts?      jerry

57chero

Thats how there done on the early sbf Cobra (powered by ford) valve covers, I don't think that would look good on the t-bird covers they need a full polish IMHO.

Tom S

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2023-11-23 19:46ok,  & now  back to the subject.       what about the sand blasting sides,  & polishing out the  ribs and logal? any  thoughts?      jerry
Sand blasting would ruin those T-Bird aluminum valve covers. They would have to be polished out again & having done a great amount of polishing metal to a near or mirror finish I know that doing so would take hours. And don't ever use steel wool on any polished or chrome pieces either.       

djfordmanjack

There are companies that are doing aluminium wheels. it is sort of a bead blasting process, that compresses the Aluminium surface to a near chrome like shine. Unfortunately I have no idea what the English term, word or technical expression to that is. Maybe you should go ask some local car tuning or machinery shops. The look is fantastic and usually very affordable, because it is an industrial process. It just needs the right machinery and beads and personell to do. it is usually not a very labor intense work (except grinding/welding or paint scraping very faded paint or scraped wheels), I think it would work magic on bare cast aluminum parts like og. T bird covers. It would safe a ton of time in grinding and dirty hand polishing.
imho, T bird covers don't look that good partially blasted and highlight polish on the ribs. They should be fully polished.

59meteor

Quote from: rmk57 on 2023-11-23 16:36Like I mentioned the adapters and the nice aluminum covers would cost more than the whole sbc engine.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fitm%2F175440700391&psig=AOvVaw0HfvoILisIzSUAVLmapgZC&ust=1700865248288000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBIQjRxqFwoTCOippvmW24IDFQAAAAAdAAAAABAa 
I don`t have adapters, I did buy a pair of that companies valve cover spacers for my 59s 428FE, as the factory 428 Cobra Jet aluminum covers didn`t fit with the higher rocker shaft mounting height that the TFS aluminum heads use. So for this year I used a set of taller 427 valve covers for clearance, but when I was at the FE Race and Reunion in Beaver Springs Pennsylvania last year, Medice Manufacturing had a display there, and I bought a pair of their spacers. I haven`t installed them yet, but they do look to be very nicely made.
As for the Y Block aluminum Thunderbird valve covers, I agree that those look best fully polished, and are just the coolest looking valve covers that I have ever seen for a Y Block. Actually, Ford has always made some great looking valve covers for their engines.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

geraldchainsaw

ok,  we've talked about where to buy,  an not to sand blast,   but none said any thing about coating  the covers after there polished,                                        OK,  I should  read my msgs more,  ssays  Not to put any coating o n the valve covers,       now all I have to do is either  wait for some pictures or look some more