News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

transmission coolers?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2023-12-18 15:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

What are you automatic transmission guys using for a fluid cooler? Just into the bottom tank of the radiator, or an add-on. If add-on, what type?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I've used the OEM radiator cooler with the typical, auxiliary cooler.  When I've converted from manual to automatic and had no OEM cooler tank, I've used an AC condensor alone.  The Raunch Wagon has a Griffin with cooler tank with an extruded aluminum auxiliary cooler.  I pounded the snot out of it's 550 HP 351/408W with a built AOD.  After two summers of daily driving and occasionally pulling a little trial, I pulled the AOD apart.  There was no significant wear and NO indication of any high temperature.

rmk57

I'm using a stack plate style trans cooler from an older class c motorhome. It's around 12x10 in dimensions and mounted in front of my radiator. I also have a 3800 rpm stall torque converter. My type F trans oil is always clear and red, so I guess it's doing its job.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

If the engine is over heating, it usually goes that the transmission is over heating.  If the transmission is over heating, it usually does not mean the engine is over heating.  A regular visual inspection of the fluid is a good thing but the smell of the fluid will give a much earlier warning.  By the time fluid discolors, the damage has been done.  An aluminum oil pan is a good investment or at least installing a drain plug for regular fluid changes. It is OK to be concerned about fluid temperatures...rarely does one install a transmission temperature gauge.  Under most driving conditions, regular service intervals (2-3 years...40-50k miles) will be adequate.  The transmission requires fluid to lube, clean, pressurize the clutch packs, and cool.  But, very little cooling in the clutch pack area.  The main heat generator is the torque convertor (TQ).  The TQs job is to slip.  The more slippage, the more heat.  Under high slippage situations...towing, long grades, hard acceleration and the use of high stall TQs will create higher temperatures.  So if one drives heavy footed, one might consider extra cooling.   

Ford Blue blood

I always use an in radiator cooler in street cars.  My truck has an external cooler along with the radiator cooler.  I believe the radiator cooler is a requirement for street driven to warm the tranny fluid and remove moisture from short trips.  If you use an external cooler it should be plumbed in the supply line, into the radiator then back to the tranny.  Just MHO.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

When I bought my car it had an AOD and no radiator cooling. It had an aftermarket cooler that looks like this mounted under the radiator. Seemed to work OK.... I have it if you need to try it.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Heatsink-Transmission-Cooler-12-Inch,6768.html?utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAs6-sBhBmEiwA1Nl8s2r8r1oZykByCbpkZ9broJF_k3PjOJo8yTTwf8jHvffpQUqHbuOudBoC2CIQAvD_BwE
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Lynn...I reassembled mine back to the radiator cooler. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it because my fan shroud was in the way of getting a good grip on the tubing to push it on. I removed the fan/shroud once again, and redid the mounting so it was no longer a pita to get it rebooted back on. With the shroud off, I was able to get the tubing reattached.

Interesting point made on the radiator cooler actually needing to warm the fluid, Bill. I was erroneously thinking an external cooler might be better for the opposite reason.
Today I'll get back at it and figure out why my tranny isn't shifting. I might try to put my iPhone in video selfie mode and put it on a rolling furniture dolly to see if I can see detail of the shifting cable attachment. Sounds like a fun thing to do, although I've got to get it back up on jacks to fix it anyway.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich moisture is the main enemy of fluids in cars.  Many folks do not understand the need to "heat soak" the drive train in "classic/hot rods" that sometimes don't see long trips/drives.  Up in the "frozen tundra" a transmission with only an external cooler may not reach a good operating temperature.  Add to that my belief is automakers pay big bucks to folks to make cars run well for a long time so why not follow their example when building a car.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

flatbedfred

My Skyliner has an external cooler, much like the one in the photo but at least twice the size. My rad has no transmission cooler as it is an upgraded after market rad. I am particularly sensitive about my transmission because I think it has been recently rebuilt and operates perfectly, as far as I can tell. I had to adjust the throttle rod and now I have properly functioning downshift features.

I have always thought that the fluid to fluid heat exchanger approach to the transmission cooler was to bring the fluid up to operating temperature quickly.

rmk57

Quote from: flatbedfred on 2023-12-30 17:52My Skyliner has an external cooler, much like the one in the photo but at least twice the size. My rad has no transmission cooler as it is an upgraded after market rad. I am particularly sensitive about my transmission because I think it has been recently rebuilt and operates perfectly, as far as I can tell. I had to adjust the throttle rod and now I have properly functioning downshift features.

I have always thought that the fluid to fluid heat exchanger approach to the transmission cooler was to bring the fluid up to operating temperature quickly.

Also being part of the cooling system the thermostat can better regulate the oil temperature better than just hanging a cooler in front of the radiator....which is what I have.

Ideally it would be best to have an auxiliary cooler running in series.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429