Question regarding Front Sheet Metal / Hood Hinges Assembly

Started by KYBlueOval, 2023-12-31 13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Been working on the front end sheet metal assembly / alignment, and I have this question.
The inner fender makes a 90* turn at the core support, and bolts up to the front of the core support. Where do the hood hinges mount? On top of the  1 3/8" piece of the inner fender that bolts up to the front of the core support? Or, should it be behind the 1 3/8" piece of the inner fender.
I think the hinge should be on top of the inner fender piece as I have it in the photos below.
What is correct?
Thanks
John

mustang6984

I have a hood that still has hinges attached, and a core support like-wise. If you would like, I can shoot pics of the core support for you with the hinges on it and post them.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

Hugh, that would be great........Thank you.
I sent you a PM regarding the garnish moldings.
John

gasman826

It might be a minor detail but I found it important to run the hinge bolts from the front to the rear and secure with some sort of cage nut.  I found that while final adjustment of the hood, the hood bolts could be loosened through the grille.  Adjusting the hood, holding the nuts while tightening the hinge bolts would require three hands and some fancy contortions.

KYBlueOval

mustang6984

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2023-12-31 14:05Hugh, that would be great........Thank you.
I sent you a PM regarding the garnish moldings.
John

I will do that tomorrow then. Too dark now. Your welcome. Happy to help out.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

My hood is currently off, so I was able to get a good look. Mine is as you have it. The jog in the outer flange of the hinge bracket confirms that it goes over, sanwiching the inner fender flange between the core support and hinge bracket.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Thanks Rich.......I appreciate your help. Happy New Year.
John

mustang6984

So here are the pics I took. The first two were with a flash, I thought they kind of got washed out, so I took a second set without the flash.
If you want something specific photographed, let me know, I'll shoot it and post what you need.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the photos Hugh. Happy New Year!
John

RICH MUISE

mustang6984

Yea John...did they do the trick? Or do you need more?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2024-01-04 00:10Yea John...did they do the trick? Or do you need more?
Hugh, what I really was wanting to see was the mounting location of the hinges with the core support and the inner fender.........All together. I can see two ways to assemble these pieces.
1) Hinges in front of the inner fender, which is in front of the core support.
   I believe this is the correct way. OR
2) Hinges in front of core support, with inner fender in front of the hinge.

Using #1, the hinge is not perfectly flat to the core support, because one side of the hinge is on top of the inner fender piece that comes around to the front of the core support. My very limited experience tells me.... minor difference at the front become larger difference at the cowl, when aligning the hood.
Using #2, could be done this way, but it just does not look like the right way to do it. IF you had to remove the hinge, you have to fight the inner fender to remove the hinge.
I'm going to follow number 1, until someone tells me I'm wrong.
I welcome any and all advice on getting the front end sheet metal installed with acceptable gaps.
Thanks
John

lalessi1

There is another piece of sheet metal that goes behind the hinge, It is the part that goes under the headlight behind the grill. Here is a picture of mine that I posted a while back (not a very great pic). If you blow it up you can see the edge of the hood hinge and the bolt. If this is "clear as mud", I will try and get a better pic!

https://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=169794;image

I felt that I had to enlarge the slots on my car to lower the hood relative to the core support on my car but I never took the fenders off and the car had been repaired at some time from a minor fender bender, (I suspect).
Lynn

RICH MUISE

The part that goes under the headlights does not go under the hinge. There are no right angled flanges on that part (called "splash pan"), I think.
John, I'll try and get a pic of mine today. With my hood off, I can look straight down at the assembly. Just not sure with everything being black if I can get a good pic with just my cellphone. I don't have a good camera anymore.