News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

aluminum

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2024-01-09 10:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

rocker stands for aluminum valve covers are longer and are readily available from the t bird vendors. they also take a seal that does not have the imbedded washer if you want to be that correct.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

thomasso

Same studs for my original alum valve covers.  I'm not at home but as I remember they had the recesses for the Ford seals.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Tom S

Quote from: thomasso on 2024-02-04 18:47Same studs for my original alum valve covers.  I'm not at home but as I remember they had the recesses for the Ford seals.
What do you mean by 'Same studs'?  Which ones are you talking about? And yes, those great lookin' valve covers do appear to have those recesses.

thomasso

Yes, the original valve cover hold down studs.  If aftermarket covers don't have seal recesses you would probably need longer studs and flat rubber washers.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Tom S

Quote from: thomasso on 2024-02-05 12:08Yes, the original valve cover hold down studs.  If aftermarket covers don't have seal recesses you would probably need longer studs and flat rubber washers.
So both of us were able to bolt those T-Bird covers right on to our Y-blocks with their standard steel valve cover studs. Would Ford really want to spend money for additional parts just to be able to mount their different valve covers on the same basic engine when they can just make valve covers that fit?
I looked a bit for the studs that others mentioned but never found them
in the two or three early T-Bird parts supplier's websites that I searched. Not sure why the longer ones that were mentioned even exist.

KULTULZ

Quote from: Tom S on 2024-02-05 19:05So both of us were able to bolt those T-Bird covers right on to our Y-blocks with their standard steel valve cover studs. Would Ford really want to spend money for additional parts just to be able to mount their different valve covers on the same basic engine when they can just make valve covers that fit?

I looked a bit for the studs that others mentioned but never found them in the two or three early T-Bird parts supplier's websites that I searched. Not sure why the longer ones that were mentioned even exist.

The below is directly from the 1949/1959 CAR MPC -

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2024-01-30 06:25
- STUD LENGTH -

STEEL ROCKER COVERS - STD PN - 354527-S - 5/16"-18 & 5/16"-24 X 3-3/4"L

ALUM ROCKER COVERS - STD PN - 354576-S - 5/16"-18 & 5/16"-24 X 4-1/8"L

Any BIRD PARTS VENDOR will have them.

Here they are - https://www.classictbird.com/Stud-Aluminum-R-A-Cover-Order-4-Per-car/productinfo/354576S/

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Tom S

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2024-02-05 22:43The below is directly from the 1949/1959 CAR MPC -

Any BIRD PARTS VENDOR will have them.

Here they are - https://www.classictbird.com/Stud-Aluminum-R-A-Cover-Order-4-Per-car/productinfo/354576S/

Didn't force anything, everything fit just fine on my '56 292. I'm just surprised to find that there are two different lengths of those studs & don't understand why that is. Not gettin' riled up about it.
Thanks for the link! Lots of good info on that site.
Looking down here and opening the TE Issue #21 link & going to  'VALVE COVER INSTALLATION' mentions that modern rocker arm cover gaskets are almost twice as thick as they originally were.  Maybe that's the issue or at least part of it.
https://www.classictbird.com/Facts.asp

KULTULZ

Why was post #20 EDITED?

QuoteLast Edit: Today at 09:53:05 by RICH MUISE

No use in trying to help anyone if the MODERATOR just randomly edits a post without giving a notice/reason.

Not my sandbox .
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

QuoteLooking down here and opening the TE Issue #21 link & going to  'VALVE COVER INSTALLATION' mentions that modern rocker arm cover gaskets are almost twice as thick as they originally were.  Maybe that's the issue or at least part of it.

That PART LISTING was released first for the 1955 BIRD MODEL RUN. It has always been that way.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

RICH MUISE

"randomly edits" You're kidding right?? Since you made it public, I'll just add that your rudeness on that post was obviously the reason for editing, and needed no explanation. That was about the 3rd or 4th time I've felt I actually had to do some moderating in a half dozen years.....so, yeah, I take offense with your "randomly edit" comment.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

geraldchainsaw

ok,  I've  read all of the posts,  & I didn't find any thing wrong,   so,  I'll tell what I had to do to mount the valve covers.     first  of course,   remove  them,  clean block,  try aluminum covers  for fit,  an yes studs are even with top of aluminum valve covers,  so theY need to BE LONGER,  i MADE MY OWN,   1/8 LONGER AN I could make  up diff  with washers  for mountng bolts or nuts, I'll be  getting some wing nuts, stainless.  don't know  why any ones getting  up set,  the 2 sizes posted were right.       jerry

rmk57

What do they come with from the factory? An acorn nut?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

geraldchainsaw

I just  ordered a set of  studs,  extras,  the acorn nuts are extra, go to the  post by holman moody #20,  bottom of   post,  that'll  get y you to  the studs & nuts

Tom S

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2024-02-06 14:12... so theY need to BE LONGER,  i MADE MY OWN,  1/8 LONGER AN I could make  up diff  with washers  for mountng bolts or nuts ...
Another way to make them longer could be to use some coupling nuts, a short length of ready-rod or the threaded part of a bolt with red Locktight or jam nuts so they don't come apart.