News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

E-Code rebuild

Started by alvin stadel, 2024-01-17 10:01

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Built Ford Tough! takes on a new meaning eh? LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Good for you Alvin!! I think the spelling you were looking for is knurled..haha, I knew that because of my machine shop days.
I wish I had your engine rebuilding expertise.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KULTULZ

- FYB E-CODE INFO SOURCES -

1) - https://www.eatonbalancing.com/

2) - http://www.ford-y-block.com/

3) - http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/default.aspx

The valve-train(s) were ISKY at that time. They are quality and still offer the same grinds.

Pay close attention to valve-train geometry and upper engine oiling.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

KULTULZ

Quote from: Ray on 2024-01-23 19:25distributor part number in particular

1957 FORD 312-8V (270HP) DIST ID STAMPING - FEH-12127-C

1957 BIRD 312-8V (270HP) DIST ID STAMPING - FEK-12127-B

DIST ADV CURVES can be found in the 1957 WSM - IGNITION - SPECIFICATIONS

There were many different parts released for the 285HP ENGINE as it was considered RACE.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

rmk57

Hopefully the deep gouges in cylinder #7 clean up with a .030 over bore.  I see you have another finished block, so the old may be salvageable?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KULTULZ

Quote from: alvin stadel on 2024-01-30 10:07There has been pre detenation between the 2 center cylinders on the right bank,  The head gasket was not sealed and you can see where it was firing from one cylinder to the other. The tops of these 2 pistons are very pitted and chewed up. The cam also is very pitted and starting to "flake" apart. 

Two different style pushrods, one bent a little. #7 cylinder has some deep gouges, and looks like someone had  tryed to grind them out.

If you have the time to go through all of the TECH INFO, find the info on cyl head gasket failure and the reason(s) why and later posted cylinder heads.

The push-rods need to be replaced with tubular push-rods.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

cos

Hello  As the above said, go over to the Y-Blocksforever forum. Those fellas know everthing about those engines. Ted Eaton has many articles on his website. John Mummert and son have made many videos about rebuilding them.

Ecode70D

Just in case it was not mentioned.   The main bearing caps should have ECZ on them.

alvin stadel

WEll, the E-Code is rebuilt and in the car. I hope it runs as good or better than it looks. I have a few little things to wrap up today and hopefully tomarrow we can break in the cam.  The down side of this is I will never be able to drive it on the highway, but I guess riding shotgun bets the hell out of just setting here looking at it.

thomasso

Awesome! A true Ford man.  Wish I lived closer.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

mustang6984

Thomasso...you live closer to him than I do. LOL!!! I drove up there last summer to run around with him in his cars! I-90 is an easy drive from your place to his. Go for it!
(and yea...I know...I'm crazy...but that's a given.)

He's done a lot of nice things for me, so it was not a big choice to make! Go see him!  :003:   :burnout:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

cos

Hi  What cam did did rebuilder use in rebuild? Inquiring minds want to know.

alvin stadel

The cam I used is ID# EDB. I visited with Mummert, and he told me what I needed, but they didn't have one.   So I contacted Delta Machine located in Tacoma Washington. They had one ready to go so in 4days I had a new cam and lifters. Both Mummert and Ken at Delta told me that the E code cam and the cam in the 312 T birds were the same.

I have no idea what the HP is now, the block is bored 60,000 and the heads are planed 20,000 so it should be kind of snorty and move right along for a 57 area 312. It sure has to be better than the nightmare it was.

cos

Thanks for info about cam.. Was it a regrind or new core. From what info I have gathered Ford used the stock 1957 312 cam in both E and F code engine?  The factory supercharger cookbook mentions both.  I always thought factory F code,  only used the EDB cam. The EDB cam is a .290 lift (ford called high lift with no timing numbers). I thinking e code engines with standard cam was rated a 270hp and 285 with hi-lift EDB cam. I had Oregon cams regind   a stock cam to EDB specs,  they said hot  .016 valve lash, was told regrinds changes this as factory EDB was .019.

alvin stadel

My cam is a regrind. Both Delta and Mummert said there have been a lot of cam failures with new cores, I don't know if that includes the Y block or not. Rather cold, snow and rain here today so the cam breack in will have to wait until next week, I'll let you know how it runs after that.