News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

292 Y block Engine Ford Alternator

Started by chapingo17, 2024-02-07 10:08

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

Good morning, I currently have a GM type alternator internal regulator, but I want to change over to Ford alternator. My questions is what Generation Ford alternator would be the best to use? Thanks in advance.

59meteor

I have a Motorcraft 3G alternator in my 59, but I have a 428 FE, so I used factory alternator brackets from a FE engine that came from the factory with an alternator. The 3G has an internal regulator, rated at 130 amps, and fits right into the factory alternator brackets and pulleys. Unlike many of the "1 wire" style alternators, the alternator starts charging as so as the engine starts, no need to rev it up to make it "kick in" and start charging every time you start the engine. Also, the factory in dash "gen" works like it should. Power Master make a "Power Gen", which is basically an alternator built in to a stock looking generator housing. So that it looks factory, uses original generator brackets, and the dash light works properly. An option is the stock look is desired.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

chapingo17

Nice great information, has anyone installed a 3G alternator on a Y-Block? I was also wandering dimensions on the pulley which one would work best?

59meteor

I believe all the 3G alternators came with a serpentine belt, so the pulley would be a wide, ribbed one, for the serpentine belt setup, but any of the V belt pulleys from a old style 1G alternator are a direct replacement. On my 428, I used a factory double groove 428 Cobra Jet pulley, and am running dual belts, although a more common single pulley will also fit. Not all 3G alternators have the proper mounting provisions, for using older mounting brackets, there may be others as well, but I ordered an alternator for a 1995 Mustang with a 5.0L V8 engine. That gives you an alternator with the mounting holes 180 degrees, and with the same spacing as the older 1G version. Since the 3G has an integral voltage regulator, I chose to remove the old regulator from the generator system, which gave me a nice location to mount my Duraspark ignition module.

1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

chapingo17

What about 2G Alternators do they have an internal regulator?

Ford Blue blood

2G is also internally regulated.  The regulator is actually bolted to the housing.  The 2G comes in various ratings and is smaller then the 3G.  It is the same size as the old 1G that started things.  The 2G that is an easy fit comes off an 87 Aerostar 3.0 and puts out 75 - 80 amps.  The 3G that fits like the old 1G is off a 94 Mustang 5.0 and will put out 130 amps.  Both have the serpentine pully that can be replaced with a V-belt pully.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Great information, Bill. I think I'll make this thread a sticky.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

chapingo17