News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

312 rod bussings

Started by alvin stadel, 2024-03-02 14:16

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

I am in need of a set of rod bushings 312. Part # 1834V20. No matter where I look or who I talk to I strike out. So if any of you have a set you want to sell I could sure use them. My e mail address is awstadel@gmail.com, thanks,Alvin

mustang6984

I'll ask Monday and see where the machinist found mine. Size?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Hoosier Hurricane

The bore in the rod is quite rough, intentionally.  The busshings are semi-finished and intended to be swedged into the rod, then honed to fit  the pins.  I used to work at a parts store with machinist equipment to do that.  Merely pressing the bushings into the rods will leave voids between the bushing and rod, and running the engine like that results in the pin pounding the bushing into the voids and results in a loose  fit and noise eventually.  Consult your local machine shop about installing the bushings for  you correctly and honing them to fit.  They should  have a source for bushings.   Even if you pressed bushings in yourself, they would still have to  be reamed or honed (preferred) to fit the  wrist pins.  The alternate is to hone the existing rod bushings and piston  pin bores and  use oversize pins.  They should be available also at your local  machine shop.

alvin stadel

We found a set shortly after I posted this. Hoozer, thanks for the info. The machine shop is going to install and hone them. Take care, Alvin