News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 292 Advice Needed

Started by flatbedfred, 2024-04-15 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

flatbedfred

I am getting ready to install the 4 Barrel intake manifold on my 57 292. I noticed that the coolant feed on the driver's side head is blocked off with an expansion plug. So that means that the entire flow for the thermostat housing is coming from the 7/8" hole on the passenger's aide head. I am guessing that this is incorrect and that both sides should be open. I am thinking that someone prepared the head at one time like it was to be used on the passenger's side . What do you think?

hiball3985

You are correct, coolant has to flow from both heads.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

flatbedfred

Thank you for your reply. I actually read the description in the shop manual of the cooling system and indeed it must flow from both heads. So I am guessing that the head was prepared in a shop somewhere in the past and that hole was blocked as it would be if used on the other side on the motor, the passenger's side. Then someone installed it without even noticing that it was blocked.

59meteor

I have to assume that you mean the coolant holes in the front of the heads, right? If so, yes they should both be open, at the rear passages, the passenger side will have a core plug, and the drivers side has the temp. gage sender, but both fronts should be open.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

flatbedfred

I have to apologize for this posting. I made a mistake putting my Y Block back together and accidentally switched the heads. Now I understand what happened and I will install a new bushing, remove the old one, same with the plugs. I appreciate all the help that is freely offered on this site.

59meteor,
It is nice to hear from a Nova Scotia resident. My Mother's family is from Nova Scotia and that is actually where I learned to take my first steps, many years ago!
Fred

RICH MUISE

Kina ot, but my grandfather was from Halifax. My dad was born there, but the family moved to Mass soon after he was born.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe