News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power Brake Conversion

Started by slopokpete, 2024-07-05 11:54

Previous topic - Next topic

slopokpete

I am considering converting to power brakes on my '57 Ranchero.  It already has Granada front spindles and disc brakes.  Has anybody had any experience with the products from Master Power?  It appears to be a complete conversion package.
Thanks for any suggestions/advice

Jeff

abe_lugo

Just get the booster with tue combo valve and the prop valve.  Make sure it's for disc drum

Here is one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/334829111311?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vLVblO6aTIa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=hiNWqjBJRY2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That is if you want power brake with your disc. 

If you have the granada spindles you just need to get all parts for the discs.  They can be bought on rockauto or Amazom or locally.

Any yes if you want the whole setup all at once that is what some of those custom brake place charge extra for.

As far as the brakes working properly.  It's all up to who installs them and how they're adjusted. I would recommend getting an adjustable push rod and place of the original push rod between the master and the brake pedal.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

flatbedfred

The Ebay link shows a kit with a PV4, which is a valve for a 4 wheel disc setup.It has no proportioning valve. The kit will have a new pushrod .

gasman826

I see the 'kit' has the booster relocation mounting hardware.  This mounting bracket moves the booster up and away from Y-Block exhaust manifold or upgrade engine valve covers.  The 8" booster is small...good for clearance but small on power assist.  I don't like the Corvette master cylinder just because they are unfinished...they rust!  Universal proportioning valves (PV) are a joke.  A universal proportioning valve is mechanically set to limit fluid to the rear brakes to balance front/rear braking.  That's OK for an engineered brake system where the vehicles front and rear weight is known, fixed tire size, caliper piston size, rotor size, pad size and master cylinder pressure are all known and enter into a formula to know where to set the braking balance via the PV.  A Suburban with rear drum brakes, PV was set to only 5 percent of total braking for the rear.  A similarly equipped pickup PV was set to 10 percent to the rear brakes.  I your case, the '57 Ranchero is a whole lot lighter on the rear axle than say a '64 Galaxie convertible but the kit claims the PV is universal.  Add in that the Granada front brakes are not part of the formula and the rear disc conversion hasn't been selected yet.  Both my '57s have Granada fronts.  Both also have the Explorer rears.  Both have Wilwood adjustable PV to the rear.  The Custom PV is adjusted wide open due to Bigs & Littles.  The wagon was adjusted wide open due to...well it is a wagon and much heavier on the rear.  I'm not convinced that a PV is necessary on a disc/disc conversion.

abe_lugo

That Tom's classic has other boosters.  You can write him and let them know what you need and they can set you up.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

slopokpete

Thanks for all the advice and direction!

Jeff

flatbedfred

Just some feedback from my experience, the 8" booster on mine has more than enough power assist for my 57. It only requires a very light touch and I can squawk the front tires if I want to.