News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Considering a 6R80 swap.

Started by lalessi1, 2024-07-08 08:25

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I am in the VERY early stages of thinking about swapping out my toploader for a 6R80 six speed
automatic. Originally I was looking at a 4L60E (AODE) but the 6R80 trans is a much better unit and supposedly only "slightly larger". I have done an initial budget estimate (not cutting any corners) and while pricey it may be doable. My main concern is that I don't want to get into major surgery for clearance. If anybody can offer any opinions, advice or experience I would appreciate it! Might be a fun project....
Lynn

59meteor

jynn, since you already have a Toploader 4 speed, why not go with a Tremec TKX 5 speed manual transmission? Isn`t the 6R80 transmission computer controlled ? Between that, plus the larger size, different bellhousing pattern, electronic speedometer problem,the cost wouldn`t likely be any lower than buying the TKX, plus then you wouldn`t have to carry the shame of having an automatic!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: 59meteor on 2024-07-09 15:22Isn`t the 6R80 transmission computer controlled ?

YES, and us old buggers get tired legs and bad knees!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I have never been happy with my transmission/clutch experiences from the start. I am on my forth clutch try, my third MC, third slave/throwout arrangement, second flywheel... etc. I originally had a a stock 390 with stock linkage, stock manifolds and a used trans that wouldn't downshift into third. I rebuilt the transmission and it is okay but it does not go into first as easily as I think it should at hot idle, and right now the clutch effort gets much harder at temperature, I have found no help on this problem. I know I have less clearance between the throw out bearing and the clutch fingers than what is recommended and I think that might be a source of the heat related issues.

Anyway, I have been considering the TKX but I really need to figure out what I have been doing wrong and get that resolved at least in my head (LOL)! I have a complete stock linkage set up (I know that is what you're running) and I have thought about going back to that but my headers would have to be modified (again). Now all of this is what has me THINKING about the 6R80. The car would be actually faster and easier to drive and it would be a very unusual combo with an FE. It would be a different kind of "cool". I would use a stand alone controller that is VERY sophisticated allowing firmer shift and lock-up options and the transmissions supposedly can handle up to 1000HP in stock form. Price tag.... about $1.5K MORE than the TKX.

On another note I am looking at installing a hydro-boost power brake booster and moving (or removing) the clutch master cylinder. I looked at the Mal Wood USA interior clutch master cylinder set that they also have a throwout bearing for. The system looks VERY clean, simple, and well engineered.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

Have you considered an AOD?  Overdrive, readily available, no electronics, just the TV cable and no body work required.  Transmission cross member needs to be worked.  Adapter kits readily available at a reasonable cost.
 That transmission was behind a bunch of engines of various HP ratings and held up well.  SC Birds, MKVIII, 5.0 Mustangs, just a thought.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2024-07-11 08:37Have you considered an AOD?  Overdrive, readily available, no electronics, just the TV cable and no body work required.  Transmission cross member needs to be worked.  Adapter kits readily available at a reasonable cost.
 That transmission was behind a bunch of engines of various HP ratings and held up well.  SC Birds, MKVIII, 5.0 Mustangs, just a thought.

Yes, that is where I started. I moved on to the 4R70W but realized in stock form they are not rated for the torque I have (550 lb-ft). I am not concerned about computer control, I have EFI and ECU timing control. A stand alone controller is available.

I decided based on Gary's use of the Mal Wood under dash to try their set up. I spoke to the owner/designer of that system and that discussion convinced me to revisit my on going clutch problem from a fresh perspective. If this doesn't work again that will help my decision making. I will check several parameters in my arrangement as suggested and I am confident I can get to the true cause of my clutch issues even if it is the "nut behind the wheel". Out comes the Toploader! Hello hydro-boost....
Lynn