When new, what were the glass tint options available from FORD?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2024-08-25 05:01

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I've been researching glass vendors as I need all of the glass for my Ranchero. So far,it looks like Auto City Glass has the best pricing. $618.00 delivered to a Swap Meet in Louisville in early 2025.
ACG offers the following all at the same price:
1)Clear
2)Light Green Tint
3)Light Green Tint with Sun Band at top of the Windshield
4)Light Gray Tint
What were the glass option that were available when our '57's were new?
I know that the light gray is an aftermarket thing. But what about Light Green Tint with the Sun Band? Was that an option? Was it very popular?
At this point I'm leaning towards the Light Green Tint. The addition of the Sun Band will be decided based on what I learn from replies to this post.

Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

I can't respond to the factory options,but I'm a bit confused as I didn't think you were doing an as-built factory restoration. I will add that drive my wife's cousin's car once or twice a month. Late model CRV, and she has the dark band on the windshield and I hate it. I can't imagine having it on our short 57 windshields.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I don't believe they had the darker band on the windshields back then.  The factory air 300 I parted had light green windows all around.  The glass was all labeled with Ford markings if I remember correctly....I have been to bed a couple of times since then!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

The light tint is so light most people won't notice it but would be appropriate and beneficial.  The windshield is short and I am tall so night driving is like driving while wearing sun glasses.  The short, vertical windshield makes the roofline more forward and makes viewing stoplights challenging.  I don't even have visors and don't miss them a bit.   

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2024-08-25 07:14I can't respond to the factory options,but I'm a bit confused as I didn't think you were doing an as-built factory restoration. I will add that drive my wife's cousin's car once or twice a month. Late model CRV, and she has the dark band on the windshield and I hate it. I can't imagine having it on our short 57 windshields.
Rich......Thanks for your reply. As to your confusion.....My Ranchero will not be as built factory restoration. That is why I eliminated the gray tint glass. My goal was to build this Ranchero to look like it was built  in the '60's. That is what prompted my question regarding the tint, and sun band.
Based on your reply and those of Bill and Gary.....it will be light green tint, no sun band.
Thanks to all for the replies.
John

lalessi1

I think the factory only included tinted glass (light green only) with A/C. I have never seen tinted glass as a stand alone option... (emphasis on "I think")!
Lynn

mustang6984

My two Couriers did not have air conditioning...and did not have tinted glass. Both had Ford factory glass when I bought them.
The Fairlane 500 w/factory air...has s mild green tint. Not sure if it is factory glass, but I have no reason to believe it is not as all the rest of the glass seems to be.
FWIW.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

I have some interesting, but confusing things to add. My Dearborn built Del Rio had a clear replacement windshield in it which definitely was much lighter then the rest of the (OG) glass, which appeared to have a light greenish tint. it was probably driven or delivered to California very early on, as it still has it's og 1963 cal Black plates. Maybe all the glass was replaced at some point ? I doubt it.

Then I needed a drivers door glass replaced on my San Jose/CAL built 4dr Country Sedan. I ordered clear glass, but it sure is much darker or has a greenish tint, compared to the rest of the glass. The other glass is 99,9% og to the car, because it is rather a longtime first owner (nearly 60 years) survivor and all (except the hardened tailgate) glass has heavy delamination of the safety glass/plastic foil all around.
What I am trying to say is, that modern reproduction tint probably depends a lot on the supplier quality of glass, and so it is very favorable to order and replace ALL of the glass at once, like you are aiming for, John. Personally I would go for the green tint (without band), as green tint works very well with most all body colors and it always adds a certain 'classy' style to the car, especially a Custom. And it certainly helps in keeping the car cooler and even helps in nighttime driving, because of all the modern headlights and all modern cars have tinted glass. That's why the headlights have to be even brighter today. Which makes it a horrible experience to drive an old car with clear glass in the night.

KYBlueOval

Thanks DJ for your thoughts. I will be ordering all of the glass and it will be light green tint, and no sun band, for delivery in March of 2025
John

59meteor

When I ordered a new windshield for my 59 2 door sedan,7 0r 8 years ago, which I bought from Auto City Classic, I was under the impression that the windshield was only available with the upper band, and that is what I have. I don`t hate the upper band, but I would have prefered not having it. Of course, a 59 windshield is different than a 57/58, so that could be a reason. As for tinted glass, I have to think that it must have been available as an option, a friend has a 57 2 door sedan, which is a pretty low optioned car (6 cylinder, 3 speed with overdrive, manual steering and brakes, NO A/C, and it has green tinted windows all around.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

cokefirst

Ford called the tinted glass option I REST glass and it was an option at least as far back at 1955.  The actual glass was and was marked Solex FOMOCO AS2 with a date code on the side glass. I am not sure if PPG licensed the tint to Ford or if the glass was made by PPG. They used Herculite glass, also made by PPG and available clear or tinted.  this glass was supposed to be a variation of curved laminated glass that was much stronger than standard laminated safety glass.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

djfordmanjack

That is some very interesting info ! It is interesting that the AS 2 seems to be an international safety code, because VW (Germany) also used that from ca 1954.
You gotta love that 1950s sales terminology  'I REST' ....haha Eye - Rest....nice !  :003:

Quote from: cokefirst on 2024-08-29 23:10Ford called the tinted glass option I REST glass and it was an option at least as far back at 1955.  The actual glass was and was marked Solex FOMOCO AS2 with a date code on the side glass. I am not sure if PPG licensed the tint to Ford or if the glass was made by PPG. They used Herculite glass, also made by PPG and available clear or tinted.  this glass was supposed to be a variation of curved laminated glass that was much stronger than standard laminated safety glass.
Quote from: cokefirst on 2024-08-29 23:10Ford called the tinted glass option I REST glass and it was an option at least as far back at 1955.  The actual glass was and was marked Solex FOMOCO AS2 with a date code on the side glass. I am not sure if PPG licensed the tint to Ford or if the glass was made by PPG. They used Herculite glass, also made by PPG and available clear or tinted.  this glass was supposed to be a variation of curved laminated glass that was much stronger than standard laminated safety glass.

cokefirst

Another interesting fact is that the glass did not always have the same date code.  I replaced all the glass on a restoration that I did and there was a different date code on each piece of glass.  it was all original FoMoCo glass.  AS stands for American Standard and that means that the tint is 30% of clear.  it cannot be used for windshields, but can be used at all other locations of the vehicle.  AS 1 is used for windshields and designates it as transferring the maximum light through the glass.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed