News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Clutch equalizer z-bar needed

Started by AreyD70, 2024-09-14 10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

AreyD70

Does anyone have a z-bar for a 1957 Fairlane or know where I can get one? I can't find anything online. Any info greatly appreciated

lalessi1

I have a couple. I used one on my car but I think it is for a a 1959? PM me and I will send you a couple of pics.(I converted to hydraulic clutch actuation). They differ in that the '57 has a fixed length bar between the pedal and the bar, the ones I have have an adjustable bar.
Lynn

lalessi1

Here is a pic of the some of what I have. The PM won't allow attachments. I provided you with my contact info in the PM I sent.
Lynn

59meteor

Lynn, yes, those do look like the same Z bars that were used on 59s, looks like you have one from a 6 cylinder, and one from a V8 car. Not sure, but I believe that Ford switched to that style, with the adjustments made from under the hood, rather than under the car, in 1958, so the Z bar and upper & lower bars that go to & from the Z bar are different. However, the lower rod, from the Z bar to the clutch fork, on the lower Z bar in your photo, appears to be from a 57, as it is adjustable. On my 59, the lower rod is a solid, single piece.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I wondered why the difference in the pins on the bars, I thought maybe one was for a Y block. I drilled a hole the clutch fork for the adjustable link I used. Rory do you know about the engine side and the frame side mounts? I had to modify the one I used on the engine side for the FE. I am curious whether they were the same for Y blocks ad FE's. There is a post of a link to an NOS z-bar for an FE with the PN...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/305582090065?_skw=Ford+Z-bar&itmmeta=01J7XZ6GGMZ9BT9NMY0SC3KWPB&hash=item47261ca751:g:DsEAAOSwyFtmT67A&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKkBLe%2Bh0S2y6UTPdmXGGeprjDK6sZdfJdJceXE9z1xXhNq6bYPutQ6lTAKCkBmXr20rA176j0FAEHshgWm4BndmKattgztk4teNFL7DENXDxNJAmQ8yMcbyp%2F2Vjc9rlvzIhpPhAw2KC1MRV34NxOkonaZRKq8ce4IJ8pHpKqRsmuP3znQssGLErntJgZN1w0GQdxVGILnPsIckD9Oc2t2X3n1U9WJo10tfsSA2Ymajulv5A0QoH%2Fqcp59FBHUr7CeHPOOKAKnaiKHwUEdnyhS2%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7SImr-_ZA&edge=0
Lynn

59meteor

Lynn, the pin on the lower Z bar, for the clutch fork rod , is the only difference between the FE and the 6 cylinder Z bar, I would have to check my factory Ford parts manuals to tell which version a Y Block would have used. As for the pivot brackets, the frame side is the same, regardless of engine, but the engine side is engine family specific.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

Quote from: 59meteor on 2024-09-17 15:26Lynn, the pin on the lower Z bar, for the clutch fork rod , is the only difference between the FE and the 6 cylinder Z bar, I would have to check my factory Ford parts manuals to tell which version a Y Block would have used. As for the pivot brackets, the frame side is the same, regardless of engine, but the engine side is engine family specific.

That is what I thought. I thought I bought an FE specific engine side bracket but I wound up having to modify it because it was a Y-Block part (it did bolt to the FE block though). Thanks for the info. I think I actually used the 6 cylinder z-bar anyway.
Lynn