News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headers for a 460???

Started by bob1987f, 2009-01-22 00:09

Previous topic - Next topic

bob1987f

hello, im wondering if anyone can point me anywhere that i can get a set of headers for a 460 thats in my custom 300?  the passanger side dont look too bad, but the stock manifolds are extremely close to the steering box on the drivers side, so im wondering if anyone makes a special fit header for this application.....

thanks

Hoosier Hurricane

Bob:

You might try Crites Restorations.  He used to make them.

John

johns2000

Quote from: bob1987f on 2009-01-22 00:09
hello, im wondering if anyone can point me anywhere that i can get a set of headers for a 460 thats in my custom 300?  the passanger side dont look too bad, but the stock manifolds are extremely close to the steering box on the drivers side, so im wondering if anyone makes a special fit header for this application.....

thanks

Ford power train, the Crites hang below a-arm!!!

JPotter57

Depends on what you want.  Crites, though they do hang below the A-arm, are big tube, 2 or 2 1/8 inch big tubes, while the FPAs are shorty or mid length 1 3/4 tubes....If you want max performance besides what will just fit nice and look good with its standard industrial chrome finish, then get the Crites.  If you like easy fit, lots of ground clearance, street rod product, then get the FPA.  Keep in mind you can buy two sets of Crites for what one set of FPA will cost, and you will still have money to go buy a Checkers burger, fries and malt.....  Myself?  I'm going with fenderwell exits...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wildhog

crites restoration products ph.740-983-4777 E-mail tbolt@bright.net      F.P.A.  ph.253-848-9503 E-mail fordpowert@comcast.net Both have good web sites. I am running a set of F.P.A. on a F.E. with G.T. heads in my 57 Sunliner. They fit great and were easy to install. A buddy of mine has a 57 Fairlane 500 with a 428 , 4 speed he went with the crities headers, said they were harder to install and he is not happy with how low they hang under the car. But they are a bit cheaper. Hope this helps Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JPotter57

My post above sounded like I was badmouthing the FPA headers.  This is not the case, I was just trying to point out the differences in price, size, ease of install and use.  The FPA headers have the Crites headers covered by a mile in terms of fit and ease of install.  As mentioned, the Crites headers hang down under the crossmember, much like the Hooker headers for 170-71 Torino with 429, 2 tubes in front of crossmember, 2 behind.  Additionally, the collector will exit almost directly into the trans crossmember, necessitating a custom trans crossmember, which is no big deal.  Really, it is a matter of preference, how much you want to spend, and how much hassle you are willing to deal with.  Hope this clears up my earlier post.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

bob1987f

thanks for all the responses guys!  im gunna check out both, and see what i can come up with. that 460 makes loads of power, and i know those stock manifolds gotta be choking it! even though its got true duals

shopratwoody

I don't know how you got stock manifolds on it unless your engine sets high. I chose the FPA this time
around because the car sits so low. Maybe you don't have stock steering.
Ron :003:
I hate blocksanding!