News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aluminum direct bolt on radiator...

Started by JPotter57, 2012-10-10 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Pat, it does look stock, not like the Griffin at all.  I will take it out of the box and get a pic of it tonight.  When painted, wont look any different than stock.   The outlets are on the correct side:lower left, upper right. 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Partsman

Auto City Classics lists a gas tank for Ranchero,Wagon, and Sedan Del on the website.  A little spendy at $499.00.  But if the need is great and the one you have is worthless what is a person to do?  I pointed this out in a post some time back.

Bill

RICH MUISE

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2012-10-17 09:01
Pat, it does look stock, not like the Griffin at all.  I will take it out of the box and get a pic of it tonight.  When painted, wont look any different than stock.   The outlets are on the correct side:lower left, upper right. 
I'm still curious about the one in the pic from the swap meet in that it doesn't appear to be correct for a 6 cyl either.  anyone?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

S....T!!!!!...got mine today, and it's like the one in the pic. I had asked for a v-8 one, The box is marked 5759A, and apparently that is wrong. Both hose fittings are on the left. As I posted earlier, I don't believe that is correct for even the 6's as my old 6 had a top left, bottom right. Beautiful looking radiator. I'll call them shortly.

RICH MUISE

OK...just got off the phone...great people to work with. The 5759A is the correct number for a V-8. It is SUPPOSE to have the fittings top right and bottom left, but as the one in the pic that James posted, they apparently have a supplier/manufacturing problem, and some of them are getting assembled incorrectly. They are going to open the boxes they have to visually check the fittings and ups me the correct one with a pick-up label for the bad one. hopefully they actually do have some correct ones to send out.
If anyone is ordering one I'd recommend mentioning this problem and have them do a visual check before they send it out.
Pat...I agree with James...looks very stock..except,imho,the large weld bead around the top tank.
Rich

57 Ford Kustom

Hey Guy's.
   Can the lower inlet be changed to the other side? I have a 351 windsor, and both upper and lower are on the right side.
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates: 
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

JPotter57

My dad was fortunate and got the correct one also.  I called him as soon as I opened mine, and he had already opened his and said it was right too....These guys will make it right for you though.

Tim, if I were you, I would just put a late model water pump on it.  You must have a `69 351W if it has the outlet on the right side.  '70 and up has it on the left.  Just swap it out and save a lot of hassle.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

512Fairlane

The way I understand their website the 5759B is for a V8 but is made to bolt into a car that has a 6 cylinder core support.  Were the core supports different?  The picture of the 5759A shows the inlet on the wrong side.  The 5759B looks correct.

RICH MUISE

Sounds to me like they are in a mass of confusion over this. The guy I talked to today, told me the person I placed the order with had correctly entered the 5759A number, and that it was suppose to be for a v8 and have the top fitting on the right, bottom on the left.
My guess is, I think the manufacturer's production line  is mixing the 6 cyl tops with the 8 cylinder bottoms without even realizing it and they probably have all kinds of configurations going on....so Tim, they just may have a wrong radiator with both on the right as well as the wrong ones with both on the left.
512 Fairlane: core supports for 6's and 8's are the same. I just looked at their website and I believe all 4 pics are wrongly identified.
I'm still hoping to get some feedback from someone on the 6 cyl radiator's bottom fitting location. (we know the 6's top fitting is on the left, and I think the bottom one is suppose to be on the right..at least mine was) doesn't anyone out there have a 6 cyl. radiator?

57 Ford Kustom

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2012-10-18 21:43
My dad was fortunate and got the correct one also.  I called him as soon as I opened mine, and he had already opened his and said it was right too....These guys will make it right for you though.

Tim, if I were you, I would just put a late model water pump on it.  You must have a `69 351W if it has the outlet on the right side.  '70 and up has it on the left.  Just swap it out and save a lot of hassle.
Great Idea, James

512Fairlane

I was told the radiator that came in my car is a 6 cylinder.  It has the inlet on the top left (drivers side) and the outlet on the bottom right (passenger side) so neither one of the pictures on their website would be correct for a 6 cylinder.

Zapato

Now that's what I call a hood ornament, Tim.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57AGIN

Rich:

I'll add my two cents worth here.  My car was a 6 cyl from the factory and the radiator that was in the car when I bought it had the inlet on the upper left and the outlet on the bottom.  I'm pretty sure that was an original type radiator on the car when I got it.  I now have a Mattson (Mr. Fanman) Aluminum Radiator cooling my blown 351W.  With the electric cooling fans the engine temp cycles between 185 and 175 degrees idling or on the road.  It doesn't look to bad either.  IMO

Photos of original 302 engine & radiator in ugly engine compartment and of Mattson aluminum radiator in current engine compartment.

Bob
57 AGIN

57 Ford Kustom

Quote from: Zapato on 2012-10-19 08:53
Now that's what I call a hood ornament, Tim.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zap,
   Thanks, I am fortunate enough to have a Hot wife, and a hot car :burnout:

RICH MUISE

To carry the outlet locations a bit further...I talked to Mike at Classic City Auto this morning. I was wanting to tell him the info on their website was wrong, which he was already aware of and had told "them" to get it fixed. We got in to the discussion of the outlet locations and he asked me what '57's the rad with the two on the left would fit, to which I replied none that I knew of. Apparently someone along the way told him some sixes had the lower fitting on the left. He asked if I would delve into it a little bit further for him since I was on this forum and see what I could find out from you guys.
512Fairlane has already confimed his 6 cyl. radiator was like mine ... top left, bottom right.
Bob..you mentioned your old 6 radiator was top left, but do you remember what side the bottom was?
would anybody else with knowledge of the 6 cyl. bottom fitting please chime in, or if there is something the two left fittings will work on. I don't want to tell him the radiator with the two on the left is not going to fit anything if it in fact will. This is an oportunity to help a '57 supplier to get it right.
Mike also told me he had the tooling for the radiator custom made at quite an expense to replicate the look of the stock radiator, and they are available with a black finish as well as standard aluminum and polished.
Also something else just occured to me..doesn't the 6 cyl. radiator mount further frontwards than the 8 cyl? I thought they did, and the difference being in the mounting rails of the radiator, not the core support.
James..do the mounting rails on the 8 cyl. ones you and your dad got appear to be in the correct position?