News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

You guys made me buy this...

Started by mustang6984, 2022-10-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

As far as I know, Dennis Carpenter is the only manufacturer of the body mount kits. All the other distributors are just selling DC stuff. Might as well go direct. Hope they are in stock, in the past when DC runs out, so does everyone else and may have a year or so wait.

How are your floor support ends? inner rockers?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

I will check DC then...thanks.
Need full rockers on both sides. He also wants me to replace one floor support on the driver side. I have a list of metal to buy that will all in all probably run me around a grand. But not too bad actually. That would put me at about $2500 total for metal replacement...so getting off easy I think. I also need a spare tire insert. The rest of the trunk patches he can make. He is a wizard at that talent. I have seen his work. WOW!
Only charges $55 an hour too. His shop is on his property...all paid for...so no real harsh overhead and as he said...he does it all because he likes it...not to get rich! I lucked out.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

cos

G- heads and not hard to find. I would hate to put 400 or 500 dollars in cracked repaired heads. I was thinking all stock  ( dcode) 312 engine were 4 barrel.

mustang6984

The cracks are not such as they worried him. This guy builds race engines for a lot of guy around here...and all of them swear by...not at him. Local fire chief has been using him for over 20 years with his race car. Loves his work.
He showed me how he does the repair, and some that he has done. I'm good with the work he will do.
Apparently not all were 4bbl. I thought so as well. I have a 2 bbl manifold that was on the car, and I have already rebuilt the carb. So since I am planning on just driving it all over the country...for now I am going to leave it as is. However...if down the road I decide to go to a throttle body F.I. system then I guess I'll have to get a 4 bbl manifold...unless they make a 2 bbl F.I. system.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fairlane62

Holley and Fitech make 2bbl fuel injection systems that fit the Holley/Autolite 2bbl intake.

Ford 312s were 4bbl, but some Mercury 312s had 2bbl.  Are the heads ECZ-G?

mustang6984

I am not sure. They are at the machine shop. I might have a pic or two that will show the cast numbers. I'm on the way to bed now...but I will look at the pics tomorrow.
He was sending them off to a bead blaster and magnaflux shop when I was there today. But I'll drive down and see if they are still there.
So...are you thinking that I may have a Merc engine...or just that someone swapped in a Merc 2bbl intake?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

1930artdeco

Hugh, Watching the metal floor portion of your build with earnest. Since I will be doing the same thing in about three months and then for the next 6 months. Good luck as I am hoping to fire up my car in the next month or so. Won't go anywhere but I want to break her in, at least I will have progress...

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

Mike...looks like finding body mounts may be a challenge. DC is out, and they sent me an e-mail saying they have no idea when they'll have them again. So the search is on for a set. I don't have the interest or time to sit around waiting for them to come up with a set.
I'll definitely post pics of the before and after as well as during process for you.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Okay...Dennis Carpenter is out of body mount kits..and sent me an e-mail telling me they had no idea when they would have more. Not being willing to wait until my next 21st birthday (which is 51 years away) to get some...I have gone searching.
I found this set from Vintage Ford Parts R Us.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175349835538
Feedback anyone?
And this set from Steel Rubber...
https://www.steelerubber.com/body-mounting-pad-kit-20-1871-48
Again...thoughts...
Thanks. One is going to get purchased within the next 48 hours following answers here. Need to get moving...motor is in the machine shop...metal is being ordered...body guy is now hopped u to help me do the work. The chef is in the kitchen and it's time to bake a pie!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

cos

Body Mounts  I would called all vendors I could. Some may have them  in stock. The vendors with the highest price would be place to start. Can you put up pics of crack repair. The only way I have seen is tapered pin or tap type.

mustang6984

Quote from: cos on 2023-04-25 16:08Can you put up pics of crack repair. The only way I have seen is tapered pin or tap type.

He is going to do the tapered pin style. Said he drills a small hole...threads it...then runs a reverse tapered screw into the hole. The pins are pre-set torque-wise to snap off the head when they are tightened to spec. Then he grinds what is left off the top and dresses it a bit. The reversed threads make it impossible for the pin to back out. Said he has never had an issue with them...and has used them in race engines as well as street drivers.

As for the mounts...yea...probably will have to call each that I can  get a number for. I was thinking Steel Rubber might be the one most likely to win this competition. They have pretty solid rep...and I've seen some of their stuff on other cars in the past. AND..they are the more expensive one! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ray Summitt

Hugh
Both vendors you listed for the body mount kits say they are out of stock.
You might try Rubber The Rightway out in California

Ray

mustang6984

I will check them out tonight. Thanks!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

or Concourse, or Classic auto Parts in OKC. This is why I've mentioned numerous times in the past to get the kits asap when starting a project because there's only the one manufacturer. Concourse would be my first call.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-04-25 18:14or Concourse, or Classic auto Parts in OKC. This is why I've mentioned numerous times in the past to get the kits asap when starting a project because there's only the one manufacturer. Concourse would be my first call.

Classic would be good...excuse for a road trip to see wife's sister and her husband and their cousin!  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker