News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

You guys made me buy this...

Started by mustang6984, 2022-10-06 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Okay...have done a little bit of work on the '57 Fairlane. to begin with I power-washed it to try and get sme more color, but it really wasn't all that dirty after 10 years in a barn with Scott. Removing spark plugs was a bit of a challenge though. Have 5 out, not sure if the time frame of 10+ years since they were installed or the possibility that the last guy to install them was Johnny Atlas, but they were not interested in coming out. Couple of breaker bars (one a 2 footer) were employed.  Have 3 more to go, which hopefully once I finish power washing the house tomorrow will come out easier. (we are painting the deck Monday if anyone is looking for something to do!  :003: )
Here are some pics. I have a question about two of them. I have never seen tubes coming out of the valve covers. Have never seen a tube coming out between the cover and the head like these before. Info? Ideas?
Note the carb tag! The carb has been rebuilt and is sitting in a box waiting to go back into service. Here are some pics before the rebuild, new ones tomorrow night.
Also note the air conditioner canister. I am assuming this was the dryer? Supposed to have a vacuum line to it.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Carb pics...
Looks like headlight and running/turn signal light wires were hacked. No big deal they'll be easy to fix.
Also notice in the valve cover pis above...no signs really of leaks under valve covers. A good sign to be sure.
I have started thinking though...in order to properly clean and paint the engine compartment, the engine will need to come out....so as long as it is out...might as well rebuild it. So most likely that will happen. And as long as it is out...well...transmission should be at least opened up and inspected, maybe a small parts kit just to freshen things up.
Gonna need to replace floors in passenger and trunk compartments a well.
Last pic in this set...you can see I had no choice but to bring it home...the thing just followed me all the way back from Indiana! (You will note that the pic looks like I am in England...don't know why the cell phone cam took it this way...I was NOT in England!)
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fairlane62

Well, aren't you glad that we pressured you into buying it?  :002:
Are the tubes possibly a homemade top end oiling patch?
That canister looks like a Chevrolet radiator overflow can.

James

mustang6984

Yea...I am. Even the wife didn't get upset.
Somehow...I seriously doubt that is a bow-tie part...this car appears to be all stock.
I was wondering if that was the same thing about the top end oiler from someone's backyard. I have not seen a lot of 292 engines,, but do not remember that. wonder how they kept it from leaking? Guess I'll fine out when I do the tear down.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Ray

I just posted an update on the earlier post with pics. The part you showed should be the dryer, if so, it should be fastened to the front right corner of the condenser. Let me know as I have a condenser and dryer out of a car in the garage right now.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

Ray

Forgot to mention, I have the complete installation instructions. Unfortunately, I moved a year ago and haven't located them but I could copy them for you at some point. A friend of mine is planning on installing a system in his retractable next year so I will need to find them. We are under the impression that these were dealer installed, shipped with a new car in the trunk mandating that the dealer remove the right front fender and the dash to install them.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

KULTULZ

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2022-10-06 22:11Here are some pics. I have a question about two of them. I have never seen tubes coming out of the valve covers. Have never seen a tube coming out between the cover and the head like these before. Info? Ideas?

Are you sure that is not the fuel line?

QuoteAlso note the air conditioner canister. I am assuming this was the dryer? Supposed to have a vacuum line to it.

[/quote]

RADIATOR OVERFLOW CONDENSER - CHEV _1.jpeg

RADIATOR OVERFLOW CONDENSER - CHEV _2.jpg
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Fairlane62

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2022-10-07 19:19Are you sure that is not the fuel line?

RADIATOR OVERFLOW CONDENSER - CHEV _1.jpeg

RADIATOR OVERFLOW CONDENSER - CHEV _2.jpg

Thats why I thought it was a Chevy radiator overflow can.  They look similar.

KULTULZ

QuoteThats why I thought it was a Chevy radiator overflow can.  They look similar.

You have a sharp eye ...
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

mustang6984

I am certain it is not the fuel line. There is one on each valve cover. I'll look at it tomorrow some more.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Quote from: Ray on 2022-10-07 16:57I just posted an update on the earlier post with pics. The part you showed should be the dryer, if so, it should be fastened to the front right corner of the condenser. Let me know as I have a condenser and dryer out of a car in the garage right now.

I think KULTULZ answered my question...it appears to be an over flow canister.

But YES...I could use any air conditioning parts you might have and be willing to part with. And directions would also be great...if can make copies and then e- them that would work.  Thanks
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KULTULZ

Quote from: mustang6984 on 2022-10-08 22:06I am certain it is not the fuel line. There is one on each valve cover. I'll look at it tomorrow some more.

If you could take some detailed pictures it would be appreciated. I might learn something here. Where do the tube(s) originate?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

mustang6984

KUL...here are pics I took today. finally got the last of the plugs out today, oiled down the cylinders/pistons. The last guy to out those in REALLY wanted them to stay!
On the pics, you will see the lines come from the covers, (I took a pic if the driver's side valve cover one) and then go to a junction box, where a line comes out and goes to the housing block for the oil filter. Also notice...there is NO sign of leaks on the valve cover where this line comes out. I have not yet pulled the valve cover, since I want to try and fire the motor and did not want to have a leak, or spend money for an extra valve cover gasket set. Have pretty much decided to do a rebuild on the engine since I need to pull it anyhow in order to clean up the engine compartment and repaint it.
If you want better pics, I'll take my 35 out there and shoot some...these were shot with my phone. One guy I talked to told me that he had heard of this being done on the 292 engines due to oiling issues with the top end of the engine. The lack of leaks is what has me puzzled...how the hell...?

Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

The owner prior to Scott felt the need to cut the wires for the headlight and marker light on the driver's side. No idea yet why.
The spark plugs are all this ugly...so I am guessing that there will be some smoke coming out the back end when I fire it up...after of course it burns off what was put in today. As state in previous post, will tear it down and do a rebuild this winter anyhow...so no big deal I suppose.
Everything under the hoods is showing age...lots of rust in places expected. No idea if the master cylinder is rebuildable or not yet. I "assume" there are still rebuild kits for them yes?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

There is some good discussion on Ford Barn Hugh about the original masters.. under the 53 forum part discussion area.. and yes.... they can be rebuilt easily.
Nice save on this car.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com