News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

new Del Rio project

Started by billd5string, 2015-11-02 15:41

Previous topic - Next topic

billd5string

Milk crate, soda crate, when I finally get a chance to get her on the road, I'll gladly scrounge up something to make it work. I've pulled seats out of other cars before, but since I'd have to drill holes for that on this one, it will either be low tech or more likely a blanket laying over the original seat frame springs. I've bought a roll of seat spring to replace all the broken ones, but haven't gotten to starting on that yet.

It's been very windy and a bit rainy this week, so I haven't even gotten to put the new water pump in yet.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

billd5string

Got the rust cleaned up and the new water pump in, as well as the radiator back in and trans cooler hooked back up. Still need to get a new thermostat housing and radiator hoses. I refuse to use those flex hoses. But I did start it up again just to hear it run for a minute. I am still amazed at how well it runs.

Vegas is having one of it's flash floods so it has been dumping rain all day. So no work on the car anyway.

I am thinking about going with a Maverick or Mustang master cylinder from the mid 70's. I definitely don't want a single style in there. And I am thinking about going with a scarebird adaptor and converting to front disc brakes. That way it could all be restored easily later if someone didn't want good brakes.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

lalessi1

Concours Parts is in Las Vegas. If they were here I would visit them as least once a week! :003:
Lynn

billd5string

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-05-01 07:18
Concours Parts is in Las Vegas. If they were here I would visit them as least once a week! :003:

I wasn't aware of Concours Parts! I have been going to Mac's for the hard to find parts. Thanks for the tip, Lynn! I will check them out.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-05-01 07:18
When did they move from Carson City?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Whoops, I must have had Mac's map in my mind. My bad...
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-05-01 10:45
Whoops, I must have had Mac's map in my mind. My bad...
Thats funny Lynn, Macs is in NY.  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

That is funny, apparantly I am having a "senior moment"!!!! ...LOL, nevermind! :003:
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Bills5string....sounds like you need to check out our listing of 57 Ford specific parts suppliers. 40+ vendors. It's locATED TWO BOARDS DOWN FROM THIS ONE...THEN OPEN "LINKS"...IT'S PINNED TO THE TOP. Sorry about the caps..new keyboard
Great to hear about your running motor....that's awesome.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

billd5string

After I looked up Concours, I remembered seeing them - I used to live in Carson City, but didn't have an old Ford at the time.

I had looked at the suppliers links when I first bought the car, I better take another look.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

I got the new thermostat housing and radiator hoses in.

I bought some scarebird brakets and installed new disc brakes on the front. Easy install, seems well designed. I still need to get brake lines and a new proportioning valve, but I do have a new master cylinder for a Maverick (thanks for the suggestion, James) I will install next.

1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

I cannot believe I haven't updated this for so long. I've had some life problems get in the way, but the Del Rio is back as an active project again.

I recently picked up a 460 engine which was rebuilt years ago, but never started. I am going to go through it again (re-install the bearings with assembly lube, etc), and put it in the Del Rio. I finally made up my mind to go ahead and do the car like a hot rod and have fun. I am getting ready to pull the 312 and transmission. I am being really careful to save as much as possible in case someone who is restoring a car can use the parts. Same thing with the wiring harness. I carefully removed the engine side harness up to the firewall in case someone else can make use of it. I don't know yet how much under the dash the harness snakes around, hopefully not much.

Hopefully someone will have use for the old 312 and trans, I hate old parts going as scrap, especially when they are getting harder to find.

1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

I pulled the motor and trans yesterday after work. I am kind of shocked at how there is almost no grease and oil in the engine compartment and only a little on the engine itself. My wife took some pictures while I was pulling it out.

My appreciation for this car just keeps growing.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

billd5string

The 312 and trans are sold and gone. Apparently it will be going into a '56 F100. Meanwhile, I got the remants of the old headliner all pulled out. I numbered the "bars" so they can go back in in the same order since they don't look like they are all the same. I also powerwashed the engine bay and front suspension, but there wasn't much oil or greese on anything so it didn't make much difference.

Next I am going to start making my new brake lines since the engine is out of the way.
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500

gasman826

might be overkill but mark the headliner holes.  Don't lose the two little wires on the rear bow.  The headliner 'saw teeth' around the top of the doors will also be needed.