News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My oldest son is going into the NAVY.

Started by JPotter57, 2015-04-03 08:52

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Well, the time has come.  My son CJ, or Joe to some that know him, enlisted in the Navy at the end of last summer.  He was placed in the DEP, with a ship date of April 7.  We will be dropping him off at the recruiters office on the 6th, where he will make his final trip to the New Orleans MEPS, and leave for Great Lakes RTC on the 7th.  Words cannot express how proud I am of my son.  He did this mostly on his own.  I had gone with him to the Air Force recruiter, but they seemed uninterested in answering phone calls, emails or even being in the office so we could come by.  Joe decided on the Navy on his own.  He did all of the preliminary work, and upon completion of boot camp will be an E-2.  His job will be <<censored>>, and he will spend several months in Pensacola before his final duty station.  Keep my boy in your prayers, as he has chosen a difficult path.  He is fully capable, I believe, and I cannot wait to see him at his PIR in June.  I am sending away my boy, but when I see him next, he will be a man.  God bless CJ Potter, God bless the US Navy, and God bless the USA. :unitedstates:
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

Congrats James, your boy has the right stuff.
and yes,next time you see him, he will be a man.

Happy Easter.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

BWhitmore

Terrific son comes from terrific parents.  Congratulations.

geraldchainsaw

thats great,  i had 4 sons and not one went into the svc,   i myself was in the navy,  many years ago,   i was a radioman,  and worked in the field your son is suppose to be going in,  things change in boot camp,  after many tests they evaluate and it could be entirely diff then what the recruiter said,  tell him lots of luck,  he'll have many experiences and memories,  i've never fogot and still email a few of my old navy friends,     jerry

Ford Blue blood

James glad to hear he didn't elect to go with the "Good Humor" folks.....I'm 30 years retired Navy.  We do things a bit different then the rest of the services.  Have to learn self reliance, self sufficiency and develop a good sense of humor!  He will be tempted by many charlatans, hard to not fall into that ever deepening crevice, but tell him to keep the faith and beliefs he grew up with close to the heart.

I was an electronics tech and worked with the <<censored>> through my entire career, first fixing their stuff and then as a division office.  The <<censored>> as we called them live in a dark cave and come out for sun light only when the word was passed on the 1MC to "Set the sea and anchor detail".  Good on him! and you for raiding a boy that is capable of making a decision.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Zapato

good for him, pass on to him the advise my dad gave me the day he dropped me off on that same path and again as I left for NAM.

''don't do anything you wouldn't want your mother to read in the newspaper.''

Zap- :unitedstates:

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

wv 57s forever

congrats that is something to be proud of.

RICH MUISE

Congrats to you and your wife (not sure I've ever heard her name...), and to Phillip also. Joe sounds like your first of a long line of kids done right! I was never in the service, but have grown to have the deepest respect for those that are/have been. My wife is retired Navy.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Limey57

You must be proud.  I can't speak for the USA, but over here, not so long ago, young folks wanted to join one of the armed forces with a feeling of pride, wanting to serve their country, sadly now the nearest most get is to playing Call of Duty on the Play Station......

Good on him, although the US and the UK are often likened as having similar ways of life and philosophies, you guys still have national pride and a desire to support your country.  I admire that, really I do, it is now sadly lacking over here.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

JPotter57

Thank you all.  We are proud of him.  Tomorrow he will be on his way to MEPS, and after Tuesday when we watch him swear his oath, we won't see him again for 8 weeks.  At that point, he will be a different person.  He is a good boy, and over the last 8 months has developed a good work ethic.  He worked two jobs at the busiest times of the year, and never missed.  His employers were both accommodating of each others scheduling, and both loved him for the good jobs he did for them.  Apparently, they hated to see him go, and threw going away parties for him after he worked out his two week notices at each job.  It was awesome to see him grow up that much, now, he is undertaking something incredible.  I can't wait to watch his future unfold.
Old, loud, and fast.

Ecode70D

James
    I know that you are very proud of your son. I know that you brought him up right and will keep him and your family in my prayers.   Jay

Zapato

not sure what the routine is now, back in the day we all sent home a card letting our folks know we arrived safely, after that ''we'' as a company had to earn phone privilges. ''we'' earned ours at week 9 of 13. ten minutes in the booth and then out.

not sure if you know this and here's hoping you never have to use this bit of knowledge. in case of any family emergency where you want/hope him home for you must reach his command thru the american red cross the military will not respond to such requests otherwise. keeps it straight and cuts out lonely wives from working the system. the one and only service required by federal law for the RC to keep its tax free status and charter is to maintain their ''aid to military families'' office.

anyway, thanks for raising a son proud and willing to serve his country.

Zapato

JPotter57

We got a 30 second scripted phone call last night around midnight, said to expect a box with his stuff in it in a couple weeks, that he would send a letter containing his contact info  in a few days.  He sounded very positive and upbeat.  I hope that holds out, because he wont get any sleep until tomorrow early AM...48 hours awake..wow.  Boot camp is now 8 weeks, he can earn a phone call of X minutes on merit, in the 3rd or 4th week.  I watched his swearing in with the utmost pride one can have.  He is going to make a fine Sailor.  Thanks again for letting me go on about my boy...
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Also, due to requirements, I had to censor out his job....sorry, hate to change any posts, but got to do what I'm told...
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2015-04-08 15:36
We got a 30 second scripted phone call last night around midnight, said to expect a box with his stuff in it in a couple weeks

One thing my recruiter didn't lie about was what to bring to boot camp. Wished then for extra clean underwear and socks. Got stuck in a holding company for a few days upon arrival due to a bunch of guys being diverted from Great Lakes RTC due to a meningitis outbreak. Had to laugh seeing what some guys brought with them. One guy* that ended up in my company brought not only a guitar but a clock radio. Guessing his guitar got trashed as we were given a small box to put our belongings in and if it didn't fit trash cans were handy.

Your son is now halfway thru, care to share how he's doing?

* that guy played guitar with the Carpenters, he asked and they send him one 8 track tape for everyone of us for Christmas. Kept it for years.
Zapato