News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rclaborne

Quote from: KidKourier on 2010-06-28 16:03
rclaborne, If you don't mind me asking,what are you going to do with that old worn out    428/C6?    Hint-Hint_ Hint!LOL  KID  Here in Riverside County,Ca. What are neighbors for? :deadhorse:

The 428 is spoken for. If the deal falls through I'll let you know. I'm keeping the C6 for my TBord.

rclaborne

Today we began fitting the engine into the Squire. New photos featuring the famous "Bill" of Bill's Auto in Orange, CA are available here... http://bit.ly/dAxV7i

At the moment we have a fit. It is very tight. we have about 1/16 clearance between the oil pan and the front crossMember and about 1/4" between the firewall and the EGR valve. The Headers as pictured earlier will fit in nicely although they will have to be bolted up after installation.

The main fitment problem is the power steering ram and components. After shortening the swingarm stud and fitting the engine as far to the rear as possible, there is still insufficient clearance between the power ram and the front of the bell housing. We could get more rearward movement if we modified the oil pan with a hammer but; our solution is to reposition the Ram/Idler Arm bracket about 3/8 of an inch forward of the stock position on the frame rail. It's a very, very tight fit.

This week I also received the wiring kit from  DetailZone. Very professionally made up. The only thing we plan to do different is to split the harness with the OEM connectors. If anyone is wondering where you can get the replacement Ford Wedge pins, I can save you about 20 hours of research.

Bob

RICH MUISE

A few things I'm not following.."split the harness with the oem connectors", and what is a "ford wedge pin"?...thanks in advance for the clarification...Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-07-05 08:46
A few things I'm not following.."split the harness with the oem connectors", and what is a "ford wedge pin"?...thanks in advance for the clarification...Rich

The DetailZone harness essentially requires you to wire the engine and trans directly to the patch board. Since the ECU connector is already installed and on a very short leash these must both be mounted inside the car as the ECU can only go 180 degrees or so. Now unless you want to tear the entire engine and trans harness off on any occasion you need to pull the motor out you will be needing 2 connectors. One to the engine (where you will be using the same connector as supplied on the engine) and another for the trans. To reuse the connectors you need replacement Wedge Pins that you crimp to the wire and insert into the connector.

rclaborne

You can see the OEM engine harness connector dangling down in this picture...
http://bit.ly/dlxeyk

RICH MUISE

ok...thanks for the explanation...I'm with you now. The wedge pins as you called them are what I also need for my Mustang wiper motor and steering wheel connectors. You said you had a source?, and also do you have part numbers for the Lincoln connector wedge pins? Thanks again...Rich
P.S.   I use to live in Fountain Valley...just a few hops from where you live.I sure miss my 3 in the morning walks around Lido Isle when I was needing to unwind.

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-07-05 16:54
ok...thanks for the explanation...I'm with you now. The wedge pins as you called them are what I also need for my Mustang wiper motor and steering wheel connectors. You said you had a source?, and also do you have part numbers for the Lincoln connector wedge pins? Thanks again...Rich
P.S.   I use to live in Fountain Valley...just a few hops from where you live.I sure miss my 3 in the morning walks around Lido Isle when I was needing to unwind.

Wedge Pins...
Small pin Size: .060
E7EB-14487-AA Female
E7EB-14461-BA Male

Big Pin Size" .110
D1AB-14461-AA Female
D1AB-14488-CA Male

Go here to buy...
http://tinyurl.com/27fpupk

Except for the first number (female .060) You're on your own for that one.

Bob

RICH MUISE

Got it saved...thanks for the info...Rich

rclaborne

We have solved most of the major fitment problems. We used a C6 trans mount with an adapter plate and a couple of spacers to get that done. Moved the power ram/ideler arm mount forward about 3/4 inch so we have clearance between the front xmember and the bell housing. Right side forward a-arm stud had to be slightly shortened to clear the front air plug on the exhaust header. The MK VIII drive shaft fits perfectly.

Some new pictures posted... http://tinyurl.com/322vgw6

Car is now at the muffler shop.

Next, fuel system then wiring.

RICH MUISE

you're moving right along with this project...everything is looking great. I just was thinking with you being in california you have alot more b.s. to go thru with meeting smog requirements that many of us in other parts of the country don't have to deal with. Speaking of which I don't have a clue what's required in texas...maybe Pat Fleishman can weigh in on this. I also realized how much easier it should be with the rack and pinion set-up... I see in your pics that p.s. ram takes up alot of room.
On the wedge pins we were discussing in the previous post, how did you determine which pins you needed..did the vendor have that info?

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-07-08 21:22
you're moving right along with this project...everything is looking great. I just was thinking with you being in california you have alot more b.s. to go thru with meeting smog requirements that many of us in other parts of the country don't have to deal with. Speaking of which I don't have a clue what's required in texas...maybe Pat Fleishman can weigh in on this. I also realized how much easier it should be with the rack and pinion set-up... I see in your pics that p.s. ram takes up alot of room.
On the wedge pins we were discussing in the previous post, how did you determine which pins you needed..did the vendor have that info?

In CA you don't need to smog a car that is 1973 or older providing it had all the original smog equipment (in the case of 1968-73 models). So, zero BS for a 57.
If you have $1500 to blow on the R&P setup it's sweet; otherwise you just have to reposition the idler mount a bit. It does take up a lot of room but that room is not needed for anything else. When it fits, it fits. Which wedge pins? Internet research; you have to put in the time.

rclaborne

Exhaust system is now installed. Pics available at link above (page 2). Tomorrow I attack the wiring. So far I know that we will install the ECU and terminal block on the passenger side on the kick panel as high up as we can get it. Since we have the front clip off, we will enter the wire bundle from the side and come through the kick panel. I'll be using one of the oval firewall grommets from the Lincoln harness.

Since the Lincoln gas tank will not fit we'll likely use an outboard fuel pump to plum the gas lines.  Also we were able to scavenge the Lincoln fitting for the power steering pump and we have a line on getting the AC to work.

canadian_ranchero

just a update on my 4.6 swap.everything that i could test fit in the donor chassis is done.i am now working on the engine to clean it up,swap the oil pan ect.i have a set of performance cams i am considering putting in.i have a shift kit for the trans to put in.i will wait till the snow flys to take my ranchero apart as it is a good running car with the 289/fmx and you just can not take your car apart in the cruse/show season   

RICH MUISE

RC....getting AC to work? Do you have aftermarket ac unit in the car or the OEM, or are you tring to adapt the lincoln setup? Also wondering about the C-6 tranny mount... any idea what vehicle it was from? Is the original tranny crossmember in it's original position?
Canadian...Good to hear from you again Gary...Any changes to what you had planned or hoped to make work with the test fit?

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-07-15 06:14
RC....getting AC to work? Do you have aftermarket ac unit in the car or the OEM, or are you tring to adapt the lincoln setup? Also wondering about the C-6 tranny mount... any idea what vehicle it was from? Is the original tranny crossmember in it's original position?
Canadian...Good to hear from you again Gary...Any changes to what you had planned or hoped to make work with the test fit?

My AC setup is an aftermarket under dash R12 unit that has been in the car for 12 years. It's basically similar to the Ford under dash unit. I had the Lincoln compressor manifold altered with std screw type fittings, bought a new condenser and dryer, will hook up to under dash unit using R134. So, yes, I'm using the Lincoln compressor.

C6 Mount was custom to begin with. There is no way a C6 is going to fit the 57 Xmember, and less way the AODE is going to fit it. Here's pic of the Xmember (but not the modification to the mount)... http://tinyurl.com/26r776b