News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

On the road...again!

Started by mustang6984, 2020-08-30 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Hugh and Sasha have come and gone. He got into town last night at about 7 and came to the house so Sasha could run and play with our dogs while we went to dinner. The Texas Roadhouse had an hour and 45-minute wait, so I took him to a burger joint in the old rt66 historical district that has been there since the year I was born......1946. Hugh was going to drive on, possibly to Alburquerque.
If I remember correctly, I think Hugh was the second forum member to take a drive in my car.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Thats good news, hopefully the rest of the trip goes well.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Yeah, he said something about maybe heading up thru Utah instead of going all the way west on I40 to Barstow.

mustang6984

I only made it as far as Tucumcari (sp) before running out of steam. And then on top of that, the motel's WI-FI was out on vacation due to a storm a few days earlier!  >:(

But now I am in Ogden UT. Drive was great...no snow on the roads or ice. Temps varied from 25 to 42...during the day time! Next stop will be in Tri-cities for the night tomorrow, and dinner with a buddy there. Then off Tuesday morning for a short drive of 5 hours to Port Angeles. dinner Wed night with my son and his lady. Hope to get wheel bearings on the trailer packed Wed or Thursday and be back on the road to MO by Friday. Hopefully Alvin will have cleaned I-90 off by then and I can come that way!   :003:  If not I'll go back the way I came I guess. Sasha would like that...she and Rich's dogs are buddies!   :snoopy2:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Arrived in Port Angeles around 7 Monday night. I had stopped in Olympia first to spend some time with a friend before finishing out the trip.
Had clean and clear roads until...white Pass in WA coming over from Tri-Cities to the west side of the state. From about 6 miles on either side of the peak there was serious snow, not so serious for another 7-8 miles on either side. And 18-wheeler driver probably is still having flashbacks tonight of his early morning drive down the east side of the pass. Had it not been for the fact that he flipped his trailer at a "scenic viewpoint" turn out, he would have lost it over the side and down about 10,000 feet. No sign of his tractor by the time I went by, but another tractor/trailer rig was there unloading his trailer and a tow truck was prepping to pull the wrong sided trailer back u on to it's wheels. How's that saying go...first you say it, then you do it? I'm guessing he did.

Anyhow...here for the balance of the week, then back on the road Sunday.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Well...final leg of this moving project. Head out tomorrow for Shell Knob with boat and the last bit of stuff. Going to the Tri-Cities on my first leg...have a couple of stops to make early then off to Pasco. Whether I go to I-90 from there or back the way I came on I-40 depends on what I hear from Alvin tomorrow.

I will be glad to be done with this moving thing! Now I have to begin the process of trying to find and place everything! Might be as aggravating as the move it's self!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

alvin stadel

Hugh, I am not sure what to tell you. We had another blast yesterday, caused a bunch of accidents. This morning I-90 west of us is suppose to be slippery.  Weather man  says in 40's and 50's the rest of week, which I like.  I think you would be ok coming  this way but thats got to be your call, Take care, Alvin

mustang6984

After our chat today I think I will go back the way I came...via I-40. I have had so many problems with this move I think avoiding potential for more is a wise move. Just means you can't sell the retractable until I get up there and grab my hood and get a ride in that babe after shooting some pics of it!  :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

That must be a white knuckle trip, having to deal with winter conditions, especially thru the Snoqualmie Pass in Eastern Washington. I have never had the joy(?) of encountering snow while towing a trailer, but I imagine it would not be much fun. Weather conditions thru the Rocky Mountains was a big concern when we did our move last October, from near Vancouver British Columbia Canada, to Nova Scotia, luckily we beat the snow by a couple of weeks. We did hit frost during the mornings for the 3 days it took us to get across Ontario, but other than that, we dodged a bullet on our trip. Hopefully Hugh can complete his final trek without incident. I know our haul was a fair bit further, but I certainly would be in no rush to have done that move more than once, at least back to back to back! Safe travels.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

I took White Pass to avoid the traffic and weather of Snoqualmie. And it paid off. The road was clear and dry all the way over, in spite of having been closed a couple of days earlier. If everything else is the same as when I came out the roads should be clean as a whistle the rest of the way.
This will be the 4th and last trip of this excursion...and I'll be happy to have it behind me. Time to get moving on the house details that need to be done between now and October. I will start them soon...or as much a I can anyhow waiting to get my full lung capacity back from the dratted COVID garbage.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

alvin stadel

Hugh, you made the right call. No new snow, but blowing snow. The wind between Bozeman pass and Big Timber is rated at 45 to 50 with some 70mph gust.   Also a friend of mine from Rapid City SD. told me they got a bunch of snow yesterday.

mustang6984

UGH! Glad to have missed that "fun!" Hope to be up your way to see you and that beautiful retractable and shoot pics of it  around late April early May. OH...and grab that hood you have been saving for me for almost 2 years now! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

Where are you today?  till west of the divide?
Terry

mustang6984

At the time you posted that inquiry...I was still in Pasco dealing with tarp issues on my load. I had one disintegrate on the road while en-route to Pasco.
I stopped for the night in Ogden at about 2:00 a.m. Off to bed in a few. Heading to Amarillo from here...then to Conway AR next day to possibly meet up with my wife at our oldest son's pizza place for dinner. Then she and I will head back to Shell Knob Thursday morning. If she can't come down then I'll skip Conway and just go home Wednesday from Amarillo.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

As always.....call if you need anything.