Question to Californian members. old dealership California Motors, Glendale?

Started by djfordmanjack, 2019-03-16 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Quote from: rmk57 on 2019-03-18 17:33
.????ndale.......any Ford dealers in Irwindale from back in the day?
Thats a possibility, or maybe Lawndale?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

From John Viera: these are original plate frames  found at Pamona swap meet both made by the same company in  Downey Cal.

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

No need to look further! Gunther's first guess was right on. cool.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

WOW !!!!! that is incredible! If John reads this, many thanks to you !!! thanks for posting Joe !

I can't believe what this forum and members can turn out in a few days, amazing, to say the least! that license plate frame is way cool !

It's even more precious to me now because I was cruising Bobs Big Boy in Downey in 2013 with my Del Rio. to know where the parts catalog came from and where the company had their plate frames produced sure is a neat little adding to my 57 collection. Thanx everybody !

hiball3985

Thats amazing, I wonder what years California Motors was in business?? I can't recall them at all, maybe before 1959 when I first moved there.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

What's really amazing, is that John Viera called me yesterday and asked if he could drive down to my house and meet me so that we could photograph these items and post them up for everyone.  :library:

I take my hat off to John for a valiant effort on his part to share this info.  :icon_salut:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

jviera

Guys, my pleasure I'm glad everyone enjoyed and again thanks to Joe. John

John Palmer

The California Motors plate frame looks larger than the Sach's and Sons frame.  The California license plates "were larger" up until 1956, when they became to uniform size we have today.  Maybe it's just a optical illusion in the photo, but if it's actually larger, that would be a clue as to when the California Motors company was in operation.

John

hiball3985

Quote from: John Palmer on 2019-03-20 21:32
The California Motors plate frame looks larger than the Sach's and Sons frame.  The California license plates "were larger" up until 1956, when they became to uniform size we have today.  Maybe it's just a optical illusion in the photo, but if it's actually larger, that would be a clue as to when the California Motors company was in operation.

John
Didn't the earlier plates also have rounded corners? I noticed the frames have them also.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

jviera

Sharp eye the Cal. Motors plate s. to s. is 13 1/2", t to b is 6 3/4, and more radius in corner. The Sachs L/M  is s to s. 12", t. to b. 6 3/4 also.The face opening Cal. is 11 3/4,"s.to.s,  t.to b. 4 1/2. Sachs is 11" s.to s. with 4 1/2" also.  Yes I do know that Pomona is spelled with a Po not Pa it has something to do with being in Mass. for 73 all most  years.  John

John Palmer

Quote from: jviera on 2019-03-21 09:54
Sharp eye the Cal. Motors plate s. to s. is 13 1/2", t to b is 6 3/4, and more radius in corner. The Sachs L/M  is s to s. 12", t. to b. 6 3/4 also.The face opening Cal. is 11 3/4,"s.to.s,  t.to b. 4 1/2. Sachs is 11" s.to s. with 4 1/2" also.  Yes I do know that Pomona is spelled with a Po not Pa it has something to do with being in Mass. for 73 all most  years.  John

Thanks.

Well......that puts the year of operation for the dealership at 1955, "or earlier".  Vintage California license plates jumped around in both size, and round corner, versus square corner.  Lots of information is on line supplied by the vintage license plate guys.  It's very unusual to find, (read as expensive) the larger sized "square, or round" corner cast metal dealer frames.  My guess is they were not widely installed by dealers in the early days, or they simply did not last this long. 

I have been looking for a round corner 1947 California dealer frame, for my 1948 Spartan trailer.  They are few and far between, and I've seen prices north of $300 for a single frame.  I have a stainless reproduction frame in the vintage size, but when your a vintage car guy, you always "need the real thing with patina".  LOL

djfordmanjack

very interesting info all around. the old pre 56 California plates were just beautiful by design, they indeed do look so good on a period car.
Also John's California Motors license plate frame is pure fifties with the diamonds and color choice. also neat Dearborn logos. it is absolutely beautiful !
About the catalog, it is the Sept 56 issue, including 55, 56 and all of the new 57 Fords. the catalog looks mint, ie unused. no fingerprints, no stains, no discoloration. so it appears to never have been used at all. If that has something to do with the company's folding, then I'd say it was in late 1956 or 1957. That might be a reason why little to nothing is known about this dealership.