News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bad roadtrip 10 days ago.

Started by RICH MUISE, 2023-11-02 12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I checked the flexplate numbers for '95 vs '97, and they are the same part number. There is a spacer behind the flexplate that could make a difference, so I measured the position of the '95 flexplate to the bell housing/engine block mounting surface so that when the transmission is pulled, he can check that dimension to verify it's the same on the '97 engine. I'll keep the old engine around until that's done.
I'm going to have some stuff to work on after I can roadtest the car. I had to move one of 3 coolant temperature sensors to a different location that apparently it doesn't like. I let the car run for 20 minutes yesterday, and according to my temp. gage, it got to 240*, which I know it wasn't because my cooling fan never came on. It', controlled by one of the other sensors. Also, the coolant never boiled over, just a little steam when I removed the cap to check. It's also possible I didn't "burp" the system well enough when I refilled the coolant.
Edit:........I forgot to mention that the torque converter for both '95 and '97 are the same part number.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

I still haven't got a date from either transmission shops I was talking to. The one that had the fire has penciled me in for the 12th, but that's only if all goes well with getting their shop back working. Right now, they still don't have power, but scheduled for Wednesday. 

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I find out this afternoon if my regular transmission shop is still good to take my car in Monday. Man, I'm getting anxious!

lalessi1

Been thinking about how you were doing and what was going on! AWESOME
Lynn

RICH MUISE

He's a real busy shop (all the good ones are!), I stopped by this afternoon, and he hemmed and hawd for a while, then said, bad time, but it's probably always going to be, so let's get it in for Monday as planned. Now, the weatherman is forcasting a snowstorm starting Sunday, so we'll just have to wait and see. I not only don't want my car on a trailer on icy roads, but don't want to put my friend with the trailer thru that either.

mustang6984

That snow is not expected until late afternoon. Get in there before noon you'll be fine. and the potential snow...is not really likely...temp will only be down as low as 30 degrees or so...high's for the day in the 40's. You'll be fine. Take it in.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

mustang6984

Did you get the cruiser over to the shop?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

We got 4 inches of heavy wet snow, and it was 27* yesterday morning, my driveway in front of the garage where we would have been loading was heavy slush by afternoon. So, no, we're doing it tomorrow at 10am. The shop it is going to was happy to hear that because his lot was a total mess as well. I didn't need my friend crawling around in all that cold slush. Lol, I took my Subaru out for a 120 mile drive instead...my 3rd 100+ mile "Sunday drive" in the last week.

mustang6984

Weird...when I looked at your long term forecast a week ago it said nothing about precipitation until late afternoon. Weather!
Course...I saw nothing about waking up to an inch of snow yesterday either...but I did. I give up! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2024-02-13 08:19We got 4 inches of heavy wet snow, and it was 27* yesterday morning ...
4" of snow? I wish. We've had more than twice the normal season to date amount of snow. First, back in November we got about three feet of snow overnight. That caused a 25.5 hour power outage my area here on the lower mountainside while the outside temp was 32 degrees. We kept getting more snow & later went into a long cold spell with temps well below zero. Quite a few flat roofs on large commercial buildings have caved in & totally destroyed those buildings. Now a big 'warm' chinook wind has been sweeping down the mountain side for a few days which caused a little decrease in the snow pack. (Now I can see all of the left side headlights.) That wind also caused two shorter power outages within the last two days. This snow ain't goin' away for months. Mid to late April if we're lucky.
Sorry for the off-topic venting, Rich. Hope you get your '57 back on the road soon.

RICH MUISE

LOL, I figured my comment about 4" of snow would get a rise out of you., but note I did say I went on a 100+ mile "Sunday drive" that day.
I got a call from the transmission shop this morning. My torue converter needs to be replaced, and he's got one being delivered this afternoon, so a shot at getting the car back tonight, if not, in the morning.

mustang6984

Good news! Wonder how it went bad?  >:(  :sad2:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Easy to damage when installing an engine....both the converter and pump. I had the converter positioned correctly when we pushed the engine in the first time..went together with no trouble at all except wrestling the weight. I'm sure it happened when I realized we forgot the spacer and had to pull the engine back off the bellhousing a few inches to get the spacer in. We probably dislodged the converter at that time. I should have known enough to stop and reset when we had so much trouble getting it back together.
Well, I did get to drive the car yesterday about 100 feet, only with 4 manpower instead of 300 horsepower.

mustang6984

Ah...I see. That would be one of the reasons why I always (against some people's advice) prefer to pull the whole package, and reassemble and reinstall the whole package...less chances to mess something up. and if I can possibly mess something up...well...let's just say that "Murphy" long ago decided to be my best friend.
Bet you prefer the 300 vs. the 4 horse power propulsion! LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker