News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EFI for stock engine/upgrade automatic transmission

Started by ROKuberski, 2019-01-15 13:13

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

EFI systems require a compatible, electronic distributor or cam/crank sensor.  Some aftermarket EFI systems require a proprietary distributor or crank sensor.  It would be a shame to buy a distributor only to find it is not compatible to the EFI system of your choice.

As far as a high pressure fuel delivery system, there is a system for retrofitting older, low pressure systems.  A mini fuel system with high pressure pump, regulator, return lines, and small reservoir is placed close to the engine to handle all the EFI fuel system needs without cutting up the original fuel tank and routing a return line...not to mention the sump issues.

ROKuberski

Gasman,

I just got off the phone with Holley.  They don't have a y-block distributor for the automatic spark advance control that would work with the EFI unit.  However, it will work with just about any distributor and then not have automatic spark advance.

As to the fuel system you mentioned, I've heard of this system and just found it.

FiTech has a 2V system too and they have a bunch of options for fuel delivery.  https://fitechefi.com/products/40004/  If anyone else makes something like this, I have not found it.
Since I have to drop the gas tank to install the return line, I am leaning to using this for an in tank pump.  https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_tanks/parts/19-165

I'm getting an incremental education on this.

Rich

fdlrc

I installed a Fitech unit on my 302 that's in my 57. I bought a new tank to install in-tank fuel pump. I had the option to have fuel return line, which I did. Since my Fitech is the Power Adder model, it controls all spark advance. I like it since I know longer have fuel boiling in the float bowl but I haven't noticed an increase in fuel mileage. Slight increase in low engine rpm throttle response. Once I get the car back together I'll have time to reevaluate the system to make sure it and I are on the right track.

I'm right down the road in Colorado Springs.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

ROKuberski

I was hoping that someone on the site had put one on a y-block and could share their experiences, but I may be the first on this site.  I've looked for reviews where people tell the good, bad and ugly on installing their systems.  I did find a youttube video of someone that had problems with their FITech unit, but in the comments on the video he was pretty much shot down on his list of complaints.

I am limiting my options to a 2V unit, mostly because I don't want to install a 4V intake.  Quite frankly, I don't see that there is much of an advantage for this engine to have a 4V carb.  It is easy to get all the air the engine can use through a 2V carb/EFI.  I know Ford showed more HP for a 4V 292, but it's not a lot.  My engine is .030" bored out which gives a few more cu. in.  By my calculation, at 4,500 RPM it's drawing about 385 CFM and I doubt that I've ever cranked up that high.  At 3,500, it's drawing slightly less than 300 CFM.

I used to use an air filter unit that was just a chrome top and bottom with a paper element sandwiched between.  I now have an original air filter, but this has a smaller air intake hole and likely does not breathe as easy.  I also have a PCV valve installed with a connection under the carb.  I'll touch base with the EFI suppliers, but the EFI unit may consider this an air leak.   

FDLRC - was your new tank designed for the high pressure in-tank fuel pump?  I anticipate that I can drop my tank a little and install an aftermarket in-tank pump system.  Like this one.
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm

Rich

RICH MUISE

Rich.....look at the Tanks Inc recessed panel/box/whatever to get the fittings low enough. I think you'd be in the range of at least 1 1/4 or so needed to clear, then, you'll need to put in an access panel to get to it. That will be needed for sure anyway. Also, look at routing the fuel lines out over the driver's side of the tank. I installed mine at the back of the tank and then had problems trying to get the fuel lines past the floor support that's right at the back of the tank. How you route your lines of course will determine where you install the pump/recessed box if you use it. If you drop your tank, you'll posibly have issues with potential damage from street garbage, and I would think you'll have to fab new straps or at least modify your old ones. Honestly, there's no way I would have gone the route you're suggesting, but that's just me.
When I welded mine in, I had just received the new tank from Auto City Classic, so I had no issues with explosions, lol. The optional finish they have on their tanks welds exceptionally nice.
Look into their tip over vent as well, but that's another issue with routing vent tubes. AND...........I'd install an inertia safety switch in the wiring. You can pick them up at a junk yard for 5 or so. Doesn't really change the wiring any, you just mount it and run the fuel pump supply wire thru it.
Let me know if you go the route I mentioned and I'll expand on the vent tube issue.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

dgasman

I have installed the fitech on my 58 ranchero 3+ years ago , it's not a y block but it is the original 352 fe. Their fuel injection systems I think are a good value and mine works great . The ranchero idles Better and just runs better and I did pic up a few MPGS . Now with that being said , I also have their fuel command 1 that they don't make anymore and it's the biggest piece of sh*t ever made . I have had more problems with it even having to be towed home twice . Fitech was no help with solving any of the issues with it or taking it back so I would not trust their fuel command unit 2. With the command units you still have to run a return line to the tank so a in tank pump setup is the way to go.

The ranchero tanks are different then car tanks and more of a pain to make a in tank pump fit but I have found that Holley makes a retro-fit fuel module (that works for the ranchero tank for any wagon/ranchero people info ) that uses the hydromat pickup mesh so no need to worry about baffles or sumps , it also has a very low top for the fittings part number is 12-130 . Holley does have others with diffent size hydromats . Hope my ramblings help .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

fdlrc

I bought a new stock replacement tank from CG Ford parts. I cut an access panel in trunk floor so I don't have to drop the tank to service anything. Plus it is big enough so I can access AN fittings without hassle. I used Fitech's drop in fuel pump. The flange and quality of pump was great, thick gasket so it doesn't leak, and easy to pull out if need be.

ROKuberski

Rich,

Actually, I was thinking of cutting a notch in the tank and making a lowered section to mount the pump.  I did not find that part on the Tanks website.  I know a great welder that can weld sheet metal.  I'll talk to him about this project.  I just crawled under the Fairlane to look at the tank.  Looks to me that coming out on the driver's side close to the front of the tank would be easy.  It will also miss the rib under the trunk at the front edge of the tank.  I made a 3-D drawing of what I want to do. 

dgasman,

I am aware of the problems with the fuel command 1 unit.  I've talked to the tech rep about the fuel command 2 unit and they say it is a huge improvement over the first one.  I have considered it, but am leaning to the pump in tank option.  It's shown as "not available" on their website right now.  Tech rep said back in stock by the end of February.  I assume they are waiting for a shipment from China.

RICH MUISE

Rich..........on www.tanksinc.com    left column, click on fuel tank accesories. They also have access doors and tons of other stuff. I am using their sending unit and Walro in tank pump. Everything is very well built. This is the second time today I referered someone to them. Someplace on my build thread I've got the tank mod. If I can find it, I'll post a link.

dgasman

The reason I went with the fuel command unit was i thought it was a simple easy way to have fuel for the efi system . Having modified a wagon tank for efi I didn't want to do it again (lazy)
This is my wagon tank that I modified . What I like with the Holley fuel module is I don't have to cut the top of the tank off for the ranchero it's very compact . I know this kind of doesn't apply to your tank but I think your going in the right direction .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

here's a link to my recessed box installation:
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3750.300 page 21 if it doesn't get you to the page.

ROKuberski

Rich,

It took me to the right page number, but I did not see anything about tanks on that page.

RICH MUISE

on my 'puter, it takes me to the page also, with the tank mod about 1/2 way down, post # 304

fdlrc

Nice looking job on all these tanks. Tanks again.

ROKuberski

Rich,

Thanks, the link takes me to page 21, but post #305 is on page 18 for me.  I show the posts in reverse order, most recent first.
As I look at this process, I am beginning to think of using the fuel command center 2.  Less modifications/but more money.  I don't have a welder and even if I did, I doubt that I could weld sheet metal.

The command center 2 will fit next to the radiator if I remove the voltage regulator, which I am not using anyway.  It's 9" high and the bottom mounting plate is 4.67" square.

Rich