News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EFI for stock engine/upgrade automatic transmission

Started by ROKuberski, 2019-01-15 13:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2019-08-20 04:34
Tom, I was Air Crew on a P2V Neptune. Stationed in Rota Spain.'68/'69
Hey! Saw a lot of those P2Vs when I was on the other side of the world from where you were then.
Sometimes there was one stealthy lookin' group of them in Cam Rhan Bay that were all painted flat black.  I don't recall seeing any insignias of any kind on 'em.  Never found out what they were up to.
Being in Rota your experience must have been a lot different than mine.  What squadron was it?  Mine was VP50.

Have you been to this web site? Haven't checked it in years. I did locate some of my old crew & squadron mates on it.
http://www.vpnavy.org/vp_vpb.html

KYBlueOval

Tom, I had heard there were some P2v's in S.E. Asia, never knew for sure what they were doing. FYI, I was the MAD operator and therefore I had the best seat in the house............in the plastic nose bubble. The downside was.........first to go if there was a "problem".
I was in VP671  I'll check that site out. Thanks

ROKuberski

I filled the tank on the Fairlane this morning and calculated that I got 18.5 MPG on my mountain trip.  Virtually no city or stop and go driving.  Pretty steady in the 50 - 70 MPH range with a brief section of about 20 - 40 MPH.  The pass I crossed twice was only 9,997', so not really a major climb.

I'm pleased.

Tom S

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2019-08-21 05:37
Tom, I had heard there were some P2v's in S.E. Asia, never knew for sure what they were doing. FYI, I was the MAD operator and therefore I had the best seat in the house............in the plastic nose bubble. The downside was.........first to go if there was a "problem".
I was in VP671  I'll check that site out. Thanks
As far as I know most of the P2V squadrons I saw when flying out of various bases in the Philippines, Japan & Cam Rhan  were doing patrol duty like you & I did. I have seen on the net in more recent years that P2Vs were used for some other quite diverse duties in Nam & elsewhere.

I was the Ordanceman, certainly not even close to what I wanted to do but no choice on that after the military gets you.
I think my 1st choice when I was drafted was aircraft mechanic, that would have been a very good fit for me & something I could put to use as a civilian.  Alaska is a big flying country, I believe we have the most private pilots per capita of any state in the US by a wide margin.
When I got home after the service it seemed that nobody had any jobs for 'Cannon Cockers', 'BB Stackers' or tail gunners.
Gee, what big surprise.

Did you always have to take off & land while in that P2V nose bubble or was there another seat that you could use at those times?

KYBlueOval

No take offs or landings while in the bubble. I had a position on the flight deck for Take Off/Landings. Once up, I'd drop down through a trap door into a tunnel, that went past the left side of the nose gear. When crawling through the tunnel I'd reach out to the nose gear and pull the safety pin,........... without falling out of the plane.There was a lot of air rushing up through that nose gear! Reverse procedure on landing. This procedure prevented a collapsed nose gear.
I'd add that there was plenty of low level flying, sometimes very low. Best seat in the plane .........you could see a lot of what was going on.
If you were ever aboard a P2V, one thing you'll remember is the wing beam came through the plane. To get to the aft station, you had to go over the wing in whatever fashion worked for you. Some went feet first, some went head first. But no one "walked" to the aft station.