News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EFI for stock engine/upgrade automatic transmission

Started by ROKuberski, 2019-01-15 13:13

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Rich,

I remember seeing your install earlier.  It looked good.  This whole problem pisses me off.  I selected a fuel unit that was complete and easy to install.  However, no matter how nice it looks, it is not reliable and that stinks.  I did not consider the FiTech EFI unit after reading plenty of negative reviews, but I did get their fuel unit.  Their Command Center 1 was a dog, but I did not see that people were having issues with the Command Center 2 unit.  Anyway, mine is going back.  And as I previously noted, it appears that they are no longer making this unit.  I'll try to make a decision on what to do this coming week.  I don't anticipate any issues with Summit Racing taking back my faulty fuel unit.

Rich

dgasman

Rich,

I feel your pain . Having gone thru all the same issues with my FITech command unit just to find out it is a over priced POS . The problem is the pump over heats and FITechs "cure" is to lower the voltage to the pump . This did kinda help , you could drive a few more miles before it quit . There is not enough fuel flow to keep the pump cool . I bought it for the same reason you did and in theory it sounds good but we now know better. A in tank pump is the way to go and it is worth the extra work and stay away from a external pump they sound like a good thing but I have been there and done that and it was not pretty . Nice job on the tstat spacer 👍
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

ROKuberski

I felt like I did a reasonable amount of research before selecting the parts for this upgrade.  Oh well, stuff happens.  I am toying with the idea of lowering the front end of the gas tank 1.5"  It will still be above the bottom of the center of the differential and that would allow a no weld solution for installing the pump. 

Check this video out.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZSBssihF8U

It even notes that there is a return-less option.  I'll check w/Holley on this.

I appreciate the comment on the adapter for the heater.  Your idea and it was a clean solution.

Rich

gasman826

I've seen EFI mini surge tanks installed with classic car EFI conversions.  No return line, no tank modifications needed.  solves all the fuel delivery issues.  Link to HOT ROD magazine article.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/new-tankpump-solves-every-problem-efi-fuel-systems/

ROKuberski

I had not seen this exact unit, but quite frankly, it's made by FiTech and for me, that makes it a no go.  The unit I have looks a lot like this one, but it is their model #40004.  No final decision yet, but I will likely use an in-tank solution of some sort.

Thanks,

Rich

Photo is the review I posted on Summit Racing website.

ROKuberski

I just got this from Summit Racing.

"I apologize for the delay and I am very sorry to hear that. I can definitely warranty the Command Center out. If you're wanting to go to a in-tank system, I highly recommend the Aeromotive Phantom kit, AEI-18689. I can take care of the additional money that would be owed if you go with the Aeromotive pump. The Phantom system cost $487.98 and the Command Center was $395.00, so I can make them the same price and just swap them out? Let me know what you would like to do and we will proceed from there."

If you search on the item he suggests there are a few videos showing installation and how it works.  I think I will drain my tank, make some shims to see what would happen if I drop the front end 1.5".  This "may" work.  I am also considering cutting a relief slot in the floor of the trunk for the fuel lines and covering it with a protective steel cover.  These are things that I can do to avoid cutting and welding on the tank, if they make sense.  Otherwise, I will just do the tank mod.

I also asked Summit if I could work out a deal to keep the special -6AN fittings and the fuel filter that came with the Command Center 2 unit.  They won't give these used parts to anyone else and they are expensive to buy.  Haven't heard back on that one yet.

I am really glad that I elected to purchase from Summit Racing.  Prices are the same, but customer service is EXCELLENT at Summit Racing.

ROKuberski

Well, I got the new parts from Summit Racing and have the new pump installed in the tank.  I have not installed a tray in the tank.  I currently have the tank mounted temporarily in the car to make sure it will be okay to mount it the way I want.  I've got the back end of the tank lowered about 1/2" and the forward end of the tank lowered 1.25".  The fuel pump assembly is 1.125" above the top of the tank. 

Since the tank will not be tight to the bottom of the trunk floor, I have installed two strips of wood to give the clearances noted.  I will also have to lengthen the hanger straps. 

I am currently waiting for new high pressure hose to be delivered from rockauto on Friday.  I will then be able to get the tank mounted permanent in its new position.

This is not yet a done deal, but I think I've got it pretty well figured out.

In the second picture you can see where I created a dent where the rear of the tank hits a locating bracket on the rear of the car.  As the tank is lowered, it rotates slightly forward.  This dent allows it to move to the rear to close to the original position.

hiball3985

Just curious, if you are using the two strips of wood as a spacer then are you going to depend on the straps for a ground circuit or is there a ground wire provision supplied with the pump?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I did a similar thing, even with my recessed panel for the pump. I used 1/2 x 3 nylon I had from a salvage yard. I bought about 40 pounds of it for 25 bucks. Different thicknesses & widths. has come in handy for lots of things. like dropping the tank. The fuel lines are running to the back?
Are you going to put an access panel in the trunk?
Not having a baffle in the tank could cause issues when the tank is low.
Keep an eye on the tank's straps over the years......wood shrinks.
I hope the new components straighten out the issues you've had.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

When I built the 66 Falcon Ranchero with EFI the question of fuel pump was a several day research effort.  After reading all the pros and cons decided to go with a stock Ford in-tank unit.  A late 80s Fox platform pump assembly was the closest to the same dimension height wise as the tank.  Cleaned it out, welded a flange to the top, added a 1" well in the bottom.  Had to run a return line and power.  Sold it to a good friend.  It was still running when it got totaled by a drunk driver.

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

ROKuberski

Lets see;

There is a ground connection on the top of the pump assembly.  However, now that you bring this up, I think I will need a separate ground so the fuel sending unit will work.

As to a baffle in the tank, the tank was not built with a baffle, but the pump assembly has a mesh lined "sump" with 4 1/4 in holes to fuel in.  The mesh lined sump has a rubber outer lining around it and it is this that has the small holes in it.  The tank leans forward and the pump is at the front end of the tank, opposite the filler tube.  It's only leaning 5/8" down at the front.

I have considered putting in an access door in the floor of the trunk.  The lines are completely hidden, so this would be a good idea.  Tanks Inc. has one on their website.

The wood I am using is surplus Brazilian rosewood flooring.  It's hard as a rock and kiln dried.  I don't think this will shrink.  However, since the tank will not be tucked up into the "next" that Ford made for it.  I figured on checking on it after driving around several times.

I just got my high pressure hose today and will get back to work on the car soon.  I did not previously mention the problem I had making an order with rockauto.com.  I had a previous order about a month ago with no problems.  Earlier this week, I tried to order some fuel hose from them and got a message that they would no longer ship to my address.  I live in an incorporated city in Colorado.  The problem is that rockauto would have to make sales tax payments directly to my city.  They said it's too much of a problem to set this up for all of the places that now require this.  I got around the problem by having the delivery shipped to a friend in an unincorporated part of the county.  This situation stinks.  I would imagine that in the not too distant future, a simple solution can be worked out to eliminate this problem.

RICH MUISE

I hate to suggest more government, but it sounds like a central sales tax federal "office"is going to be needed to divvy up collected taxes.
Does the Fairlane not have a trunk floor support brace right in front of the gas tank? That's what I had trouble clearing with my lines headed frontwards.

ROKuberski

Rich,

Yes, I have a gas tank brace at the front of the trunk, but the lowering of the tank allows the fuel hoses to duck under the edge of the brace.  I've lowered the front of the tank 1.25" and the rear of the tank 5/8", the hoses are about 3/4" o.d. so they clear just fine.

RICH MUISE

The reason I keep mentioning it is I had a "rubber" fuel line connector hose rub through there on a trip to Colorado, last July actually. Just a thought............If you have additional room, you may want to slide a chunk of garden hose (or similar) over the fuel lines in that area.

dgasman

Your setup looks good and I don't think you are going to have any problems . The straps that hold the tank are also your ground for the sending unit unless you have some sort of isolator (rubber?) on the straps .No need to worry about no baffle in the tank . The pump setup you have has its own sump much like a modern car . You would have to be running on empty in a auto cross race before you have a issue.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman