News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Old Ford pics

Started by CobraJoe, 2018-06-05 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

CobraJoe

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

CobraJoe

Marc

Thanks for the info Guenther. That P3 looks to be quite a departure from the styling of the P2. Good luck with it!

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2023-07-29 17:48No Marc, unfortunately not. While the P2 series ( as pictured above ) was even sold in the US by Mercury dealers as an in-company compact car, it was of course dumped with the introduction of the 1960 Falcons and Comets. By then also the rather baroque design of the cars was already outdated somewhat. Even though I know 3 guys around town with such a 57-60 Taunus, they are really rare today, even in Germany. Parts are extremely hard to find for these model years!

Ford  Cologne produced their own hi hp version of these cars which were then offered with an improved flow intake manifold and tuned up 1bbl carb or manual secondary 2bbl on later models , producing up to 75horses compared to the original 60 hp. While this may sound ridiculous to you, bear in mind, that other European cars of the time like Fiat or the Volkswagen beetle had only 25 or 30 hp ! So those little Fords were rather one of the faster cars around Continental Europe at the time.
I have one of the next model year series P3 Taunus wagons. as my daily driver. currently getting some restoration work done, but hoping to have it back on the road next year. It's the white one.

RICH MUISE

Those Taunuses are alot more American-ish than I had realized, and never knew they were marketed in the US for a time.. Great info Joe and Gunter.
Joe, those sales brochures are the best I've seen.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

djfordmanjack

imho, this is my alltime favorite 57 color combo ! Inca gold over mocha silver with the bright styletone gold anodized trim. it may be kitschy... but it looks the part and couldn't really get more mid century flavor than that.

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2023-07-30 06:21

djfordmanjack

Rich, those German Fords had 'American' attributes on purpose. I think the styling or general concept was worked out in Dearborn and then sent over to be made ready for production. The CEO of Ford Cologne was an American guy, sent over from Dearborn. When the P3 series was introduced to the public, Henry Ford II was present and had the German chancelor Konrad Adenauer invited. The story goes, that 'somehow' it happened so that the official Mercedes Republic limousine had a problem that day and Adenauer was picked up by Henry in 3 brandnew Ford Taunus P3.... :003:
Also the brochures had real American feeling, even though most of the cars were sold in domestic (German that is) market. I have a brochure of the successor model P3 and on the German brochure, even with the European market only new Taunus, there is clearly an American Highway, along with a 1961-ish Ford Galaxie and a brandnew Boeing 707 Jetliner in the picture....that was part of the lifestyle back then even over here.

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-07-30 08:17Those Taunuses are alot more American-ish than I had realized, and never knew they were marketed in the US for a time.. Great info Joe and Gunter.
Joe, those sales brochures are the best I've seen.

CobraJoe

1906 Ford Piquette Avenue Assembly Plant; Ford Model N assembly room
(Complete with light bulbs Rich!)  :003: